Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Brand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My understanding is that only 2 complaints were made on the night. A week later and after the Daily Mail have whipped up their 'outraged' readership it runs into tens of thousands. I'd willingly pay double my license fee to piss off Mail readers.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I sound like Spider, who I quoted. I didn't have to go far out of my way - I simply emulated the kind of statement a person says when they call someone a fucktard for having an opinion.
Read Spider's original statement, and you too can sound like that.

On reflection I agree that my post doesn't exactly give a good account of myself, somewhat heat of the moment. However, I stand by the sentiment of what I said, even if it sounded a bit arrogant. But I can defend myself against your claim that I called anyone a 'fucktard' for having an opinion, it's the people who haven't even heard it that are obviously getting all shirty about it, and the fact that I don't think any reasonable, unbiased person would really believe that what Brand actually did was that offensive. The Daily Mail is largely responsible for all this, and whilst I would sound like an idiot for using the term I did for all their readers, I question exactly why they allow the paper to whip up such a frenzy over nothing.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm waiting for tomorrow's Evening Standard to somehow implicate Ken Livingstone into all of it!

"LIVINGSTONE PLYED BOOZE TO PHONE PRANKERS"

You heard it here first:thud:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Quite the funniest thing I've read today.

Repeated and repeated simply because one person wrote it in an article and now it's being used as an excuse for what happened to Andrew Sachs by fans of Russell Brand.

Have you been walking around thinking the waiter character was racist for most of your life or did it somehow occur to you over the last few days ? Did you know who Andrew Sachs actually was ?

If there is any sheep round here, it's the people who keep peddling the ridiculous line that Andrew Sachs (a refugee from the Nazis) is somehow deserving of his treatment because of a supposedly "racist" character he played in sitcom in the 1970s.

Russell Brand (I think a brilliant talent) has gone up in my estimation tonight with his very sincere apology, giving tribute to the fine comic acting skills of Andrew Sachs. He was supposed to be a guest on his show after all.

Perhaps Brands fans could take a leaf out of his book and stop peddling the ridiculous line that Sachs somehow deserved it.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that he deserved it, its just a bid tedious reading the poor victim bit from him and especially his Grandaughter.

And no I've never thought Manuel was racist and in the the 70's it wasn't (even Alf Garnett wasn't considered racist then!) but people are getting very pedantic over all this. I suppose what I'm trying to say is you shouldn't get away with ringing a girls grandfather and telling him you've slept with her, but nowadays you also wouldn't get away with a character like Manuel. In a strange twist, in the 70's she wouldn't have been in the 'Satanic Slut' but today it seems ok.

Also I keep hearing about what an amazing talent Andrew Sachs has but what else has he done except for 12 five minute spells in a comedy 30 years ago?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
With a few bible-bashing, right-wing numpties maybe.

Not according to the Americans I know went down like a lead balloon and they don't fancy his chances in the States. Personally I hope he makes it in the US that way I won't have to put up with his puerile effort at comedy, he is typical of the dumbing down of society.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brand don't care, he's got multiple irons in the fire. Resigning just makes him seem like an honest humble likeable sleazebag.

It's Wossie who needs to lose his unearned millions. Most of them come from the Beeb's licence-payers. And he's about as likeable as any of the Top Gear presenters. Does anybody actually LIKE these people?
i can understand your dislike of clarkson, but james may and hammond ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
he is typical of the dumbing down of society.

That's not the case at all, but I could understand how some could think that based on limited exposure. His comedy is generally quick and sharp and he's an absolute master of the English language.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
i can understand your dislike of clarkson, but james may and hammond ?

Objectionable bland - and entirely talent-free - runts, all of them.

I know loads of people who'd make for more interesting presenters than those complete nonentities; I genuinely cannot work out how come they ever got their jobs.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it's petty telling that anyone who believes Brand and Ross should be sacked has to bring up the idea of their "unearned wealth". This has f*** all to do with the debate. You can get Brand and Ross and think they're paid too much but that has nothing to do with the debate regarding freedom of speech, the public's right to not be offended and the BBC's editorial standards

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not according to the Americans I know went down like a lead balloon and they don't fancy his chances in the States. Personally I hope he makes it in the US that way I won't have to put up with his puerile effort at comedy, he is typical of the dumbing down of society.

That's bollocks. He is getting film roles left, right and centre and is not far away from being an established member of the Apatow comedy gang considering he's been in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and has written and starred in Get Me to the Greek, dunno when that's released. He's also in a film released on boxing day, is writing another film with Matt Morgan, and has asked to present the VMAs again next year. I'd say that's quite some success considering he only moved to USA about 6 months ago!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It is intersting this debate because it really does seem to come down to people who love Brand and all his works and those who think he is an affected dandy no-mark with an annoying "look at me" personality.
(guess where I am on this) I do think he is a fiercely bright guy who delights in his unconventionality but if you listened to what the recipient of his calls, Sachs, said he obviously thought it was pretty low and certainly ill advised and self serving.

Jonathan Ross on the other hand is a witty bloke with a speech impediment who likes to be wude... and thats all there is to say about him, couldn't care less if he gets the gooner.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What concerns me, is the lynch mob mentality, all the bloody Titmarsh fans and the Daily Mail Junta. This feeding frenzy where somebody who makes an ill judged comment and is treaty like a paedophile. Yes there treatment of Andrew Sachs was unacceptable and they deserved to be reprimanded but people have been screaming for life bans and prosecution. Next time you complain how bland comedy is and the lack of cutting edge, think about this moment. As someone said it will just be Russ Abbott on the box. The chairman of the BBC came over all apologetic and contrite, what did he expect? Jimmy Young and knitting and finally a mention for Georgina Baillie, she must be absolutely chuffed to bits cos she gone from page 3 reject to front page and I am sure Max Clifford will be sniffing round her. Celebrity Big Brother anyone!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is intersting this debate because it really does seem to come down to people who love Brand and all his works and those who think he is an affected dandy no-mark with an annoying "look at me" personality.
(guess where I am on this) I do think he is a fiercely bright guy who delights in his unconventionality but if you listened to what the recipient of his calls, Sachs, said he obviously thought it was pretty low and certainly ill advised and self serving.

Did you actually listen to the show and/or the podcast?

Sachs was supposed to be a guest on the show, but pulled out late on. The telephone call was placed in order that Brand could speak to Sachs and interview him on the phone in lieu of his absence.

Brand was prattling away in his usual way when it was Ross who shouted out "he f***ed your granddaughter". At no point is there any indication that Brand was going to mention it at all. Brand was quite obviously shocked that Ross had shouted what he had and it spiralled out of control after that, when they made calls considerably later on in the show.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Did you actually listen to the show and/or the podcast?

Sachs was supposed to be a guest on the show, but pulled out late on. The telephone call was placed in order that Brand could speak to Sachs and interview him on the phone in lieu of his absence.

Brand was prattling away in his usual way when it was Ross who shouted out "he f***ed your granddaughter". At no point is there any indication that Brand was going to mention it at all. Brand was quite obviously shocked that Ross had shouted what he had and it spiralled out of control after that, when they made calls considerably later on in the show.

No, I didnt' listen to the show, but saw the youtube stuff. I dont think either of them should get the push really, but of the two Brand is the more interesting, if not my particular C of T, at least he is a clever guy. Ross is a fairly witty bloke with a lisp who likes saying f***.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I am not his greatest fan but I do find some of his material amusing. I find the dumbing down accusation interesting; whilst his themes can be base his use of language is often clever and intelligent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here