Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butters being a c@nt.........

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Subbing Butters made sense,at his age he is not at his best in the last 15/20 mins,this was good management,bringing on Bas was another plus.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
maybe Wilkins thought Rents delivery from the left would be good for the team and to do that guy had to be sacrificied.

It must be frustrating to be pulled from a match when you're losing, and then you've got no chance of personally redeeming the situation in any way, that day.
The ultimate bummer for a professional, I would have thought.

Too right. Especially when you're not playing badly at all. Plus a couple of times I could see Guy getting frustrated when some of the others couldn't do the simple things right.

I was surprised he was sacrificed as it wasn't long after Elphick had come back on after his stitches, and I thought perhaps he was a bit groggy and was going off. Yes, Rents was involved in the winner but he would have been involved whether Guy, Lynch, Elphick or Bomber had gone off.

I agree that maybe Wilkins felt having more pace in the centre may have helped us as we were pushing up looking for an equaliser. I don't think being taken off is much of a slight in this case and it's good to see some passion.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not a fan of Butters but I can't say that he doesn't try. The problem with him being on the pitch is that we have to play too deep to compensate for his lack of pace. A lot of goals are scored when other defenders are pulled out of position covering for him.
As soon as he went off we pushed further forward from the back and Joel Lynch always had the pace to cover the man in the middle. Mcdonald was running all over the place and, although not always effective, he was opening things up for others to get through. When Lynch switched to the middle that stopped.
Butters will be back but I would prefer to see Lynch and Elphick in the middle when we are at home as I think it will suit us better.
What I do like about him is that he won't let this get to him he will fight to get his place back.
I realise that their second goal was due to some poor defensive work but at that point they had only been playing togather for less than 5 minutes and they were caught cold. That cannot be a case for bringing Butters straight back. He will need to earn that right in training this week.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
phew! thought you were going to contradict yourself then!

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Yep, I'll go along with that. There are some of our players who look like they're going through the motions a lot of the time. I've got no problems with anyone kicking the dugout when we're 1-0 down if it shows there's a bit of passion to win there.

Spot on.
But EVEN when we win, we still like to find fault with players! And the title of this thread demonstartes just how pathetic that is! Guy Butters :bowdown:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Still think Guy should be the first choice partnering either Elphick who has been the star of the season so far or Lynch. His experience to them and the rest of the team is invaluable. If he was annoyed - he cares!!

I'm not a fan of Butters but I can't say that he doesn't try. The problem with him being on the pitch is that we have to play too deep to compensate for his lack of pace. A lot of goals are scored when other defenders are pulled out of position covering for him................That cannot be a case for bringing Butters straight back. He will need to earn that right in training this week.

I don't see that first bit. Sure, he won't play forever at the top pace, but a lot of the times, my impression is that he's the solid rock that the younger players often have to rely on when THEY go missing or lose concentration for a moment.

The second bit - the idea of "bringing him straight back" isn't into question is it? He hasn't gone away - he was just subbed in one game, and that at risk - because we needed to bring more attack to the game we were losing - at risk defensively. The gamble might not have paid off if they had attacked us harder! If we couldn't get forward, or if the midfield had broken down........ I dread to think.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
f***ing hell, what an over-reaction by some to a f***ing subsitution.

Wilkins subbed him thats his call.... Guy was pissed off, and can't say i blame him...but thats football, doubt he is overly worried about it this morning.

But as for him not starting because he was subbed, that is stupid. Butters will start next game alongside Elphick..end of !!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
So you don't approve of players showing a bit of passion and frustration then?

Passion ON the pitch please, it isn't good for morale and team spirit when your most experienced player throws his toys out the pram for being subbed................

if it had been leon knight doing that he would heve been chastised

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
by those chastising me for daring to criticise the mighty butts

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
f***ing hell, i wasnt comparing him to neon light, just demonstrating the arse kissing that appears on here due to guy posting on nsc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here