Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Dean Wilkins

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Surely it would be more accurate to compare the most recent set of results from a season, that way you can gauge progress or not.

I think it you can safely accept that the budgets on the new players has added to the overall wage bill.

True, but the budget should also take into account all the players that were released at the end of last season.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Which is exactly the point I am trying to make. Which makes me query why so many bring up the issue of finishing seventh last season.

You and I have no idea how the team would have fared under Wilkins this season.

I don't think he should have been sacked for footballing reasons, my understanding was that he was sacked for non-footballing reasons.

If you wish to compare the progress of any football club you start where they might be today and work backwards, that will offer an indication on whether there is progress or not.

Then if you include a change of Manager into the mix, it again offers an indication of whether it was a good decision or not.

We can then throw other things into the mix ( budgets etc ) which might back up any conclusions, but I am afraid on this one there doesn't seem to be much to defend Adams performance as manager this year.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Equally reasonable as in unreasonable.

Adams had full control of his squad from before pre-season and was allowed to strengthen in areas he saw fit. Wilkins took charge after the transfer window had closed and was a peripheral figure (comparatively) in pre-season training.

He also had a squad that had played in the Championship the previous season.

We can all manipulate the statistics to suit our own ends, and I'm just playing devil's advocate as are other people.

The only difference is that I don't have anything against Knight, Wilkins, Whote, Adams or McGhee, because I don't "KNOW THE TRUTH".

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I am afraid on this one there doesn't seem to be much to defend Adams performance as manager this year.

I agree with you 100%.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
If you wish to compare the progress of any football club you start where they might be today.

Both you and I have absolutely no idea where that might be though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He also had a squad that had played in the Championship the previous season.

We can all manipulate the statistics to suit our own ends, and I'm just playing devil's advocate as are other people.

The only difference is that I don't have anything against Knight, Wilkins, Whote, Adams or McGhee, because I don't "KNOW THE TRUTH".

Arugably a League One squad at best.

Indeed. As above. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I don't have anything against any of them either, but I do think Wilkins deserves a bit more respect that he currently is shown. I was glad that the club decided to look elsewhere and terminated the contract of Adams, but I would not want Wilkins back as a manager, although I would not be against seeing him back as a coach at some point (not that it will ever happen).

I don't have anything against any of them either, but I do think Wilkins deserves a bit more respect that he currently is shown. I was glad that the club decided to look elsewhere and terminated the contract of Adams, but I would not want Wilkins back as a manager, although I would not be against seeing him back as a coach at some point (not that it will ever happen).

Bang on the money BoF. Exactly how I feel. :clap::love::clap:

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Arugably a League One squad at best.

Indeed. As above. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I'm not sure where all the lack of respect to Wilkins is being shown though.

He was appointed because he was cheap (on £30k a year basic), did a fair job, and was sacked because he didn't get on with some of the board, the exact details of which are not for public consumption.

He was offered a coaching role, turned it down (understandably), but has not been offered a role by any other club apart from a bit of scouting.

IMO he is neither Mother Theresa or Fred West, but some of the sanctimonious bile has provoked a reaction on both sides.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Bringing back DW as manager makes perfect sense. It will unite the fans, give a boost to the squad, he’ll fit in immediately with the back room staff and he will be relatively cheap.QUOTE]

I realise that this poster is looking for a response and I'm gonna bite! "Unite the fans", I think bringing back Wilkins would drive such a divide between the fans it would be impossible to repair. Dean Wilkins must never be let back into this club.

I'd have Ian Chapman back in a shot though.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Lokki 7: Bringing back DW as manager makes perfect sense.

Barrel of Fun: I would not want Wilkins back as a manager

Bang on the money BoF. Exactly how I feel. :clap::love::clap:

You've totally lost me now.

You initially say you want DW back as manager, and then you agree with BoF that he should not return as manager.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bringing back DW as manager makes perfect sense. It will unite the fans, give a boost to the squad, he’ll fit in immediately with the back room staff and he will be relatively cheap.QUOTE]

I realise that this poster is looking for a response and I'm gonna bite! "Unite the fans", I think bringing back Wilkins would drive such a divide between the fans it would be impossible to repair. Dean Wilkins must never be let back into this club.

I'd have Ian Chapman back in a shot though.

I think I will put you in the anti-Wilkins camp !

'never be let back into this club' could you elaborate, why exactly ?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

You've totally lost me now.

You initially say you want DW back as manager, and then you agree with BoF that he should not return as manager.

I started the thread because I thought DW should be in the mix for the vacant job, it does make perfect sense when you compare him to the names mentioned for the post. I am a massive DW fan and can still clearly see his free kick against Ipswich rocketing into the net. Ultimately however I think Gannon is a better choice given what has happened here, DW would have too much baggage and would probably turn us down anyway. Shame we ever let him go in the first place, massive mistake.

I wanted to start a discussion and yes I have a bias, I thought that was what NSC was for? Is that ok with you?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I started the thread because I thought DW should be in the mix for the vacant job, it does make perfect sense when you compare him to the names mentioned for the post. I am a massive DW fan and can still clearly see his free kick against Ipswich rocketing into the net. Ultimately however I think Gannon is a better choice given what has happened here, DW would have too much baggage and would probably turn us down anyway. Shame we ever let him go in the first place, massive mistake.

I wanted to start a discussion and yes I have a bias, I thought that was what NSC was for? Is that ok with you?

Everyone has a bias, I thought McGhee was treated shabbily by DK, especially for the money he brought into the club on transfer dealings. I thought DW was treated shabbily, and Adams too.

As for Gannon, he would be mad to take on the Albion job IMO. However it is only an opinion, just like everyone elses.

Just because I don't have the same opinion as someone else doesn't mean I call them 'stupid' or a 'complete knob' though.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Even if they are being stupid and a complete knob?

Even if they have committed the 'crime' of having an opinion that is not the same as yours, and therefore you see fit to abuse them.

Have I said a single rude word about you?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't have anything against any of them either, but I do think Wilkins deserves a bit more respect that he currently is shown.

Yep thats how I feel, I hate this "papering over the cracks" nonsense that some people say.

We did have some shit games but in fairness they have been shitter this season.

I think tho that there is no chance of Wilkins coming back...it didnt work with Adams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here