Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs. Wallsall (Official Match Thread) [Merged]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree with Whing, Elphick and Lynch, when fit, are potentially 2 of the best but it remains to be seen whether or not they reach their full potential and if so will they still be at BHA. G O'C could come into the reckoning but again he is on loan and will he be here all season. Ipswich allowing him and Richards to play in the cup indicate that they do not figure in their plans so who knows if somebody comes into the club with some money in the next 6 or 8 weeks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would try in at least the JPT game if not both Cheltenham games Fraser and George in midfield or even George & Coxy as both like to play the ball around.

With Forster a possible doubt Elder to replace him with Baz up front .

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Cant believe how much we were cruizing that game, chance upon chance, all the pocession, then one sucker punch and we completely fell to pieces.

After their goal we couldnt win a challenge, we had players running into each other, challenging for the same ball and we kept hoofing it up in the air

can i just say
JAKE ROBINSON YOU BIG GIRL

He was clear of the last defender, ahead of the on rushing keeper, CLEAR favourite to win the ball, nip it round the keeper and put it into an empty net, but no, he decided to curl up into the foetal position and mince out the way :rant:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Unsure of the Hammond debate again , thought he was alright last night and it was O'call who was a bit sloppy in 2nd half.
We played bloody well even if game did at times resemble a friendly. Just need a bit more killer instinct to take a chance.
Had plenty of chances and we did hit the target , but I cant remember their keeper pulling of any miraculous saves....everything was soft and at him.....this is where we need to improve.
Need more depth on the wings as well, Robinson was brilliant until the defender worked out hie one trick. Martot was good 2nd half but isnt your typical winger as isn't Cox. If we could sign a pacey tricky winger (going back years - someone like Chamberlain in his prime) then we will surely have that extra cutting edge.

6th place though....cant complain + the football at times last night was best i've seen for years. Glad of the F.A Cup break. Lets come out blazing at Orient

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
can i just say
JAKE ROBINSON YOU BIG GIRL

He was clear of the last defender, ahead of the on rushing keeper, CLEAR favourite to win the ball, nip it round the keeper and put it into an empty net, but no, he decided to curl up into the foetal position and mince out the way :rant:

Seconded. At WORST he could have taken the foul and the had the keeper sent off but he BOTTLED it.

Pussy.

My main RANT about last night was the SET PIECES. Why was EVERY free kick an out'swinger'? The keeper was clearly a bit suspect at times but we didn't once put pressure on him instead choosing to tamely curl the ball across a put in weak header. We had a decent number of opportunities to put a dangerous ball in last night but didn't take any of them. Got to sort that out.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I thought O'Callaghan was very sloppy tonight. At least 3 times he lost possession in dangerous places. Hammond works hard and deserves his place in the team IMHO.

I am not sure what people expect of players - they are basically Division 3 players, if they were better they would be playing in the Championship or the Premiership.

We had 11 players who all worked hard tonight and if Mertot had not missed the sitter we would be talking about another deserved win. I thought we played some great football up until we go to the penalty area then we went to bits, unable to cross, shoot properly or pass to each other. Outside the box it was fine and some great one touch football.

I thought Wilkins made a mistake in taking of Forster who I thought looked sharp and the most likely scorer, but his substitutions on Saturday did work! Still if we average 4 points every 2 games we will be more than OK this season!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seconded. At WORST he could have taken the foul and the had the keeper sent off but he BOTTLED it.

Pussy.

My main RANT about last night was the SET PIECES. Why was EVERY free kick an out'swinger'? The keeper was clearly a bit suspect at times but we didn't once put pressure on him instead choosing to tamely curl the ball across a put in weak header. We had a decent number of opportunities to put a dangerous ball in last night but didn't take any of them. Got to sort that out.

Yep, was right in front of that in the North, I believe I texted Piers the same moments after it happens.

If he is not going to take hits, he is not going to be a striker.

Id like to see goal again because from what I saw even that seemed to be a tad lucky.

Im also not sure if Geaorge and Dean can play in the middle together as there was lots of times they were both behind the ball when Brighton attacked

Er....Hammond had an excellent game, wtf are you on (about)?

Is this DEAN Hammond you're talking about? I'm struggling to remember any real contribution he made except one long range shot.

I thought he played his usual jogging up and down the pitch, usually away from most of the action and doing the best part of sod all. Last night's game was crying out for somebody in midfield to get stuck in-Walsall were there for the taking.

It's time he was dropped and he is certainly not the captain that's needed out there. How can he motivate the rest of the team when he needs the biggest boot up the backside of all of them? That might upset a few on here but he has to be one of the least effective players in an Albion shirt lately.

Is this DEAN Hammond you're talking about? I'm struggling to remember any real contribution he made except one long range shot.

I thought he played his usual jogging up and down the pitch, usually away from most of the action and doing the best part of sod all. Last night's game was crying out for somebody in midfield to get stuck in-Walsall were there for the taking.

It's time he was dropped and he is certainly not the captain that's needed out there. How can he motivate the rest of the team when he needs the biggest boot up the backside of all of them? That might upset a few on here but he has to be one of the least effective players in an Albion shirt lately.

More or less agree with all of this. I thought he was lethargic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Agreed. When will the DWs realise what everybody else can see.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought Wilkins made a mistake in taking of Forster who I thought looked sharp and the most likely scorer, but his substitutions on Saturday did work! Still if we average 4 points every 2 games we will be more than OK this season!

Forster was clattered when he crossed the ball and hobbled off for awhile.....he signalled to the bench that he was struggling.

i think Wilkins made a monster of a mistake bringing cox on for Forster. he should have brought Elder on, replacing like for sort of like.....an example being bas winning the ball out wide, going to cross it and seeing Robinson and Cox in the middle with martot out wide....both their centre halfs were lumps and by pushing Jake up front, they must have thought Christmas had come early.

I thought we looked good at times, slick passing and we created a few chances, martot was my MOMN, ok he missed that one chance, but his effort that just dropped behind was excellent...why Wilkins moved him out wide I have no idea....I would have taken hammond off moved cox out wide and played Martot through the middle with Elder and Bas up front with jakey out wide. But he is the manager and at the moment you cant argue with his record.

The gate was pathetic( and still you couldnt get served in the Sportsman..they really must do something about that its getting rediculous)

the thing that is really getting concerning is that it was a decent night, dry and we were playing a team following on from a 3-1 win. Ok the kids were not there because of school, but I worryt for the club at the moment

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Forster must have run it off, because he was very surprised and unhappy about being brought off. And rightly so, it was a bizarre decision because it was one of those classic 'desperately need a second goal' games at that time, and he should always be the man most likely.

Very frustrating, but you can't be too critical about individuals. Brighton played well, and should have been out of sight. When they did get close, didn't make the keeper work hard enough, and Martot's effort was very poor although one of his team-mates didn't help by almost getting in his way.

Walsall had done absolutely nothing to suggest someone was going to ping it into the top corner from 30 yards, but then that's why you need to be 2-0 up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very frustrating, but you can't be too critical about individuals.

I think you can, If individuals had done the job it would have been 3 points instead of 1.

Nobody had a shocker last night, we just didn't win a game that we should have. If we learn from it, then it won't have been wasted.

Take Watford last night, they got absolutely creamed at the weekend but bounced back and went god knows how many points clear. That's the response you want from a disappointment.

Spending hours haranguing individual players is counter-productive, and on last night's game's evidence, also unwarranted.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I thought Hammond played well.

In fact I thought everyone played well really, I am still baffled as to how we did not win that game. You couldn't hope to see a more one sided match. We played some very good football as well, I thought Martot played his best game ever but he along with Bas had more than one chance to win us this game but didn't take them. :(

GREAT equaliser but the game should have been over long before then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought Hammond played well.

In fact I thought everyone played well really, I am still baffled as to how we did not win that game. You couldn't hope to see a more one sided match. We played some very good football as well, I thought Martot played his best game ever but he along with Bas had more than one chance to win us this game but didn't take them. :(

GREAT equaliser but the game should have been over long before then.

Totally agree.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally we have improved MASSIVELY since last season.

Positives for me is that last year we would have lost that game 1-0 and created f*** all but we had some chances go begging and looked comfortable *at times*.

At least this year its a bit of tweaking thats needed to make us a really really good side.

The fact that on another nite we probably would have won speak volumes for the improvements on last season.

6th by November - I dare anyone to say they wouldnt be happy with that at the beginning of the season.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I thought we were excellent last night, quality passing football from a team full of confidence. It's just a shame about the finishing. On another night, we'd have scored four or five. Was a shame that nearly all our headers went straight down the keeper's throat.

Well done to Kuipers - he had very little to do all game, but pulled off a corker at the death to keep us in the points.

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here