Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs. Wallsall (Official Match Thread) [Merged]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Words fail me as regards Hammond I do not know what he has got to do or not do to be substituted. I am sure that if he had both feet tied together Wilkins would still keep him on. We have relied on him in the past to support the strikers and get a few goals. all he gets now are penalties.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, and to say you deserved all the points masks your own inadequacies.

Put in shots on the ground at a keeper who was obviously
uncomfortable at dealing with ground shots and appearred to be suffering with an injured back.

How many saves did we make him carry out. 1 and the goal, I think.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He was a bit butter fingered, wasn't he? He gave himself a dead arse when he fell backwards over one of his players. He must have made about 7 or 8 stops, but none of them were very testing.

jeef_boner

Walsall supporter
Nov 6, 2007
Behave, son!! We totally ran the game, played all the football, and should really have been 2 or 3 ahead by the time your bloke had your first shot of the night. Our inadequacies are that we couldn't finish a jigsaw, let alone a passing move, but on the balance of play we deserved the win. Well done to Walsall though. They were well organised and pretty typical of this division, and took full advantage of us shooting ourselves in the foot.

Behave? I'm on my best behaviour!

Saying we're 'typical of this division' is a compliment, as last time we were in it we were pants thanks to Merson. Bounced back from the basement at the first attempt, and to be mixing it and matching with most of League One I'm pretty happy. You don't do yourself favours saying you played all the football though. I'd say the fact that you couldn't get a winner was down as much to Walsall playing footie as you. You don't have to have the ball at your feet to play a part in the game.

Thanks for the point though - much appreciated, and about what I expected.

Have a nose through http://www.upthesaddlers.com/wp - links to messageboard which is reasonably lively.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
first game of the season, should've won it as we need to learn how to finish. Hammond looked lost at times in the middle and for the love of GOD can we not keep playing high balls to the shortest guys on the pitch please!
O'Cally is abit of a moaner and seemed to attack Martot most of the night, Forster just never got a shot away and Bas was clowning around and making a nuisance of himself whilst not doing much productive work in/around the box.

Tips for training:
1) Crossing practice
2) Finishing practice
3) Ball on the deck to short arses!

Overall: Impressed with the passing at times, movement abit slack in midfield, should've won the match.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I thought we played really well tonight. Moment of brilliance (fluke?) saved them. Encouraged for the rest of the season and next up in the league Orient and Carlisle. Massive games for us.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Jeef, you might have won it had you had Wacka between the sticks. A wasted talent rotting away at Upton Park.

never really got the chance to prove himself after that nasty broken leg he suffered - shame, he was always quality whenever he played against us

jeef_boner

Walsall supporter
Nov 6, 2007
Jeef, you might have won it had you had Wacka between the sticks. A wasted talent rotting away at Upton Park.

Yes, BoF. We've struggled since then but Incey Wincey Keeper is a decent affordable replacement. "When's Jimmy coming back" is still a question that gets raised on our messageboards every now and again - sadly we can't afford him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think we threw it away, should have 2 or 3 up by half time, they scored a bloody good goal and don't really remember a clear chance they had before that. Having said that we escaped at the end with the save from FDM

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Er....Hammond had an excellent game, wtf are you on (about)?

Football is all about opinions and my opinions is that like most weeks of recent HAMMOND again had a nothing game. He cannot tackle and does not support the strikers so I believe that at the moment he is a luxury we cannot afford.

He needs to watch how George O'Callaghan plays and try to follow suit.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Think we threw it away, should have 2 or 3 up by half time, they scored a bloody good goal and don't really remember a clear chance they had before that. Having said that we escaped at the end with the save from FDM

My thoughts exactly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that Wilkins will rest him because he is captain but I believe that his contribution is getting less each week. At one time he was goal threat on set pieces now he never gets anywhere near the ball from corners.

I think that our problems is we have too many players who are Ok and not enough that we could put ona pedestal as being the best in their position in this divison.

When the season honours are dished out at the PFA Awards I cannot see many of our team making the Div 1 side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here