Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs. Wallsall (Official Match Thread) [Merged]

could someone please get savage to stay in the middle when he plays up front. too many times last nigt he went walkabout getting in ther players way and generally unbalancing the team. Its not as though his ball skills and close control are very good, they're not, oh and why can't he head the ball?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
could someone please get savage to stay in the middle when he plays up front. too many times last nigt he went walkabout getting in ther players way and generally unbalancing the team. Its not as though his ball skills and close control are very good, they're not, oh and why can't he head the ball?

Glad im not alone in thinking that

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you've answered your own question there. If he can't head the ball, why stick him in the middle?

I disagree about his close control, I think, although ungainly, it's actually not too bad - certainly better than the aforementioned heading. However, he was winning a few headers last night. He's just not very accurate with them in front of goal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think you've answered your own question there. If he can't head the ball, why stick him in the middle?

I disagree about his close control, I think, although ungainly, it's actually not too bad - certainly better than the aforementioned heading. However, he was winning a few headers last night. He's just not very accurate with them in front of goal.

His close control is pretty poor, but I think thats what makes him usefull as no one knows what he is doing.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

Definitely was thinking that last night. He had a header in the first half, from a great cross from Martot. What seemed to be easy to put away, but he made it loop up in the air for Ince to take easily.

I thought Hammond played well.

In fact I thought everyone played well really, I am still baffled as to how we did not win that game. You couldn't hope to see a more one sided match. We played some very good football as well, I thought Martot played his best game ever but he along with Bas had more than one chance to win us this game but didn't take them. :(

GREAT equaliser but the game should have been over long before then.

Is pretty much all that needs to be said about last night.

The one criticism is that we lacked that killer instinct but overall if it had been a boxing match we would have won by miles probably with the ref stopping it.

On current form we are capable of a top 6 finish but need to keep it going for another 30 odd matches. :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Taking the positives out of an ultimately frustrating night, we went up the table into a play-off place, we outplayed Walsall and the passing was generally very good.

We look solid enough at the back and with Lynch and Hinsh due to return there are no real worries. In order to kill teams off regularly I feel we need to be starting Forster, Cox and O'Callaghan because they are our most dangerous players.

Wilkins now has to settle on a side and players' best positions. The killer for us last night was the quality of the final ball, and it must be galling for 2-goal hero Forster to be subbed the next match when Martot or Robinson both played the full 90 without being incisive or delivering good crosses consistently.

Yes, both players had good games, worked hard, occasionally got forward but crosses come from wide and they didn't do enough to service Forster and Savage against an ordinary Walsall side.

I see Hammond played just behind the front 2 with minimal effect - shouldn't Wilkins give Cox a run in this role?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

I disagree about his ball control, too. Bas' close control and ball skills are far better than you give him credit for. He's no Premiership player, obviously, but he had a good game last night, won most of the challenges he went in for and kept control of the ball from most of those he won.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Largely agree, Pav aside from I think Forster was complaining of being knackered. He certainly looked to be tiring when he was subbed.

In that context, Cox for Forster was right, with Robinson going up front. However, the problem was it didn't change anything much. Fluid, fluent movement, good passing but not much end product.

If nothing else, as you say, the defence looked solid, and the midfield - for once - bossed the game. It will all come good soon.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Largely agree, Pav aside from I think Forster was complaining of being knackered. He certainly looked to be tiring when he was subbed.

In that context, Cox for Forster was right, with Robinson going up front. However, the problem was it didn't change anything much. Fluid, fluent movement, good passing but not much end product.

If nothing else, as you say, the defence looked solid, and the midfield - for once - bossed the game. It will all come good soon.

:clap:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It did look solid, however it was sloppy defend for the goal - Its a shame because it did look like unless it was a wonder goal or a mistake they would not score - sadly it was a bit of both.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Their goal was a brilliant sole effort, you can't blame our defence. If we are routinely conceding 1 or under then defence is NOT the problem.

We've just got to hope that in the next match Forster is fit and raring to go. I'd also like to see Reid on the right because I think his ability to defend could give Whing licence to get forward more - Whing is a decent crosser of the ball and we look a more dangerous team when he gets forward 2 or 3 times every half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here