Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Voted 22nd Worst Place In Britain!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Having to live in Reading for work I can confirm that I would much rather live in Brighton.

I do hope this scumhole is high up in the list.

You're on your own there matey :p

Its lovely... if not a bit "concrete". At least our place has loads of history to it... which differentiates it from all those other places mentioned.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Brighton seems to labour under the misapprehension that it is Barcelona, a collective illusion reinforced by the constant crowing from the council about being a "beautiful city by the sea".

Half of it is dirty, noisy and packed to the gunnels with self-important superficial nasty young fashion victims with walkie-talkies with "ironic" ringtones. These are the students, "new media" and itinerant soi-disant shitneck pseudo-intellectuals.

The other half is an ordinary grimy south east town with council estates and young mums with lovebites and screaming kids and cod-eyed young men drenched in aftershave and cheap gold. Roaming up and down the seafront on a Friday night, looking for someone from the other half to smack in the mouth.

James
The students fill the pebbled beaches and bars, the elderly shuffle along like gassed soldiers back from the trenches and diddycoys surge back and forth on the pier.

I have no idea why the pier is so famous, it stinks of deep fried donuts, stale lager and the Great Unwashed. It's rammed full of brats on one hand, who shriek and fight and get clouted by their enormously fat mums, or middle class types who seem to be enjoying the working class treats of the pier in an 'ironic' and 'knowing' manner, which frankly makes any right thinking person grind their teeth with rage and wonder if it would be a sin to drown the little studenty, yellow sunglasses wearing, Green Flash trainered bastards. And why do they all carry record bags anyway? Fools.

Go to Brighton, have a laugh by all means. But it isn't the Mecca of English cool. OK?

BRIGHTON DEFENDED!

Finlay Coutts-Britton

Firstly: "gunnel" is spelt "gunwhale", they are called mobile phones, not "walkie-talkies", and I can't even imagine what an "ironic ring tone" would be. Look up irony in the dictionary for god's sake. Also "soi-disant" means "self named", not "so called". Who would refer to themself as a "shitneck pseudo intellectual" other than someone who has managed to cram so many idiocies in one sentence, while thinking they are being literate?

Furthermore the pier is so famous precisely because "it stinks of deep fried donuts (sic), stale lager and the Great Unwashed (sic)", and the reason that the "middle class types" (types??) appear to be inexplicably enjoying "the working class treats", is that they are not stuck up, or insecure about their social status and are actually enjoying themselves. Again, look up irony in the dictionary, then get your head out of your arse.

I will say one of the best things about Brighton is the distinct lack of double-barrelled "right thinking people", and if the tackiness of some aspects of the place serves to keep you away, that's just perfect, thank you very much.

You just keep on thinking it's crap. Everyone who lives there loves it, and I won't even start to tell you why, just so we can keep it to ourselves.

Tamsin
Clearly your critics have only spent a few passing days here and probably spent most of it on the seafront or in 'The Lanes'. Here you are able to see people who fit into the horrible stereotypes of your first correspondent's piece nicely. Yes Brighton has poor people. It also has students. And kids. And up-their-arse trendy types. Yes it has pseudo-avant-garde areas ... and yes, there are even council houses here.

Sounds a bit like London to me ...

What we also have in this fantastic city is SEASIDE. No matter
what you say about the naff pier and the crap doughnuts, nothing beats heading down to the sea on a sunny afternoon and quaffing a cold beer whilst contemplating the horizon. And on a wild winter's day you can watch the waves that have travelled thousands of miles across the ocean come crashing up on the shore. You can't beat it.

Add to that: people who are friendly - smile at you for no reason, are happy to chat and pass the time of day; cosy, welcoming, reasonably-priced pubs on the corner of almost every block; Fatboy Slim doing a monthly residency on your doorstep and some of the best club nights in the country; a football team that has been promoted twice in the last 2 years; shops that aren't just part of some huge multi-national corporate machine but are run by real people who care about what they are selling you; and did I mention the sea?

Brighton rocks - and anyone who thinks it's crap is just suffering from a bad, sad dose of cynicism.

Stephen Holmes
BRIGHTON ROCKS!

It rocks and is defo the best city in UK not the worst...

If you don't like a young vibrant place with lots to do in terms of pubs, clubs, art, sailing, with rock climbing near by... Don't go, everyone I've ever met who lives there loves it...

Ripped from www.idler.co.uk

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
bhaexpress said:
Reading has history ? Like what ?

Absolutely loads.

- Abbey which was the biggest in the UK before being burned down by Henry VIII
- King Henry I buried in the Abbey, along with many other Royals
- Battles of Reading in 1643 and 1688 during English Civil War (well, the Catholic vs Protestant wars)
- UK hub for the Cloth, Wool, and Biscuit industry, along with Beer and Bulbs.
- Biggest brewery in Europe (Courage)
- Major place during industrial revolution for work as most factories and workhouses in the south-east were built in Reading and London
- River Thames with 4 bridges and the boating to London, which also carried a wealth of trade down through Thames Valley to the City.
- First train service out of London and continual importance on the rail network.

Don't believe me? Click HERE

Give us some credit! Its been an important place for centuries :wave:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Was only asking ! Still dull as ditch water though (bear in mind that I used to live down the road in the IMHO much maligned town of Bracknell). The handful of visits to Reading failed to leave any lasting impression and, where do you stand on the issue of Langley ?

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
bhaexpress said:
Was only asking ! Still dull as ditch water though (bear in mind that I used to live down the road in the IMHO much maligned town of Bracknell). The handful of visits to Reading failed to leave any lasting impression and, where do you stand on the issue of Langley ?

True enough though... Reading is still a shithole to look at. Smog an' all that.

Bracknell :eek:

Langley :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (shocking place - should be in Greater London not Berkshire!!)

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I quite like liveing in brighton, but in most places in england, you're going to get positives and negatives about the place, just depends on if you like the positives enough to cancel out the negatives!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wilts said:
True enough though... Reading is still a shithole to look at. Smog an' all that.

Bracknell :eek:

Langley :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (shocking place - should be in Greater London not Berkshire!!)
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
can believe hull came 1st. i got lots of family there. bransholme and orchard park are minging places.:nono:

Won't enter this fully cos I'm tired, but I will say that Brighton & Hove is a f***ing ace place to live. Unfortunately a lot of it's problems are caused by people migrating there because it is so good.

As far as worse places go, from personal experience I would have to say the whole of Kent (with the possible exception of Canterbury), the whole of Essex, Leicester, Bradford, Croydon (obviously) and Stoke-on-Trent are all complete shitholes. To compare B&H with such places is an insult.

Stumpy Tim

Worst places I've been to in the UK:

Barnsley
Leicester
Wakefield
Staines
Slough
Glasgow (City of Culture - I'm sorry, the place is a shit-hole)

Sheffield & Leeds are quality places - I wouldn't include either on the list

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Back to Leeds

Breakfast new this morning - a 15 year old girl shot in the legs, 2 hrs later a 20 odd year old woman also shot.

Stumpy - Wakefield is much nicer than Leeds in every category.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Brighton is a superb place to live best in the country no doubt but the problem of the homless beggers and other vagrants is pretty bad the worse i have seen in the UK and up there with parts of Sth East Asia which is saying something. Very dirty city too full of litter and chewing gum.

Personally not too bothered about poofs as on the whole they keep themselves to themselves and bring a good vibe to the clubs and they do stay in Kemptown, but have to admit rather they were not here.

There are a lot of the middle class ironic green flash wearing studenty types carrying record bags who drink in places like the Hampton or the Basket makers complete pretensious wankers no doubt.

The thing that clinches it for Brighton and Hove is the sea and the sea front this gives us the edge over anywhere else in the UK and of course the football team. Give us the bloody stadium!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't see how Brighton is up there at all. This town has more too offer than most places in this country. However, as a famous town it will be more noticeable and the bad aspects will be more noticeable so we a re more likely to be higher up the list.

Plus...

We pay too much rent
We pay too much council tax
Beer is too expensive
The West Pier is a skeleton

etc etc

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
And and enoguh of the fuckinf homophobia please. The Gay Community is an integral part of this town and IMHO makes it what it is.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Yorkie said:
Back to Leeds

Breakfast new this morning - a 15 year old girl shot in the legs, 2 hrs later a 20 odd year old woman also shot.

Stumpy - Wakefield is much nicer than Leeds in every category.

In Chapeltown I believe.

One of the good things about Chapeltown is that there are some nice parts of Leeds near it. As these come under Chapeltown ward, properties are exempt from stamp duty (though they're still too expensive for me).

I have to say I agree with Stumpy, I like it in Leeds (though I've never been to Wakefield so that might be nice too).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yes it was in Chapeltown.

Yes Leeds has many different areas; some like Alwoodley are even posher than Patcham

A city of great contrasts

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
My threads are so popular.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here