Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BRiGHTON v ****** The rivalry that baffles football

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
And Pompey lost 3-0 at home, to Sheff Utd if I recall correctly. We used to have a bit of a thing with Pompey too, remember, especially when Alan Ball was managing them and they were less than cultured, and we were both rivals for promotion from div 2.

Edit: I had a meeting at work first thing in the morning the next day, with a Palace supporter. We had an hour-long meeting in which I never mentioned the game at all. He called me when he got back to his office to tell me it had been excruciating waiting for the piss-take which never came, almost as bad as watching the game itself. So much more rewarding than actually taking the piss, I think. :smokin:

Think it was Plymouth that Pompey lost 3-0 to. I should probably remember more clearly, given that I was in the away end at Fratton that night, but funnily enough I spent more time listening to my portable radio than watching the match!

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Nice piece. I'd forgotten the Zenith Data Systems match. Now I think back on it, there was a time during the match when all sides of the ground (yes even the Chicken Run) were shouting "we all agree, Ian Wright is a wanker". Never a truer word chanted.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
"It is one of the fiercest, most intense rivalries in football" - really? That's a rather preposterous statement of you ask me. It's all been handbags for about twenty years hasn't it and it only had a few really intense seasons before that.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My memories go back to way before the 1970's Venables v. Mullery thing, and the penalty incident at Smellhurst Park. Back then, Palarse just didn't matter much, and to me they still don't.
It was just the tabloid press that blew it up out of all proportion (and of course, the skins on both sides gleefully joined in). Still though, to me, it's an artificial rivalry.
Never has it been truer to say, "It was The Sun what done it".

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Great in the seventies and eighties but sadly diluted now,I miss my trips to Hove and walking down those famous steps outside Hove station.The only thing that may rekindle it is if we start playing each other on a more regular basis.Trouble is, will it be the same when you get your new flatpack Ikea stadium at Falmer ?
I think not !

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Great in the seventies and eighties but sadly diluted now,I miss my trips to Hove and walking down those famous steps outside Hove station.The only thing that may rekindle it is if we start playing each other on a more regular basis.Trouble is, will it be the same when you get your new flatpack Ikea stadium at Falmer ?
I think not !

Don't worry we'll still hate palace wherever we're playing:salute:

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
I'm reading Mullery's autobiography at the moment. Here's what he says about the Palace incident:

"Trouble flared with Palace when a controversial penalty incident knocked Brighton out of the FA Cup. I was furious and at the final whistle I remonstrated with the referee. As I walked back down the tunnel, Palace fans spat all over me. I gave them two fingers, then did an awful interview bad-mouthing those supporters and saying I wouldn't give a fiver for any of the Palace players. I could have handled things better but I just totally lost it. It didn't go down too well at Selhurst Park and I knew the fans there still held a grudge".

Yeah Mullery, that's exactly how it happened isn't it... You utter clown :tosser:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Is "vitalfootball" a pseudonym for your fanzine or something? Such biased shite must have either directly or indirectly been supplied by Brighton fans.

Also... Alan Mullery OBE?!?!?! What the f*** did he do to deserve that?
oooh heb , i gave bushy a really hard time on NSC , he hasnt answered your question yet, can i suck your cock heb , in fact can i do anything to ingratiate myself a little bit more with you and your cabal of middle class right on wankers ? :tosser::tosser::tosser:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My memories go back to way before the 1970's Venables v. Mullery thing, and the penalty incident at Smellhurst Park. Back then, Palarse just didn't matter much, and to me they still don't.
It was just the tabloid press that blew it up out of all proportion (and of course, the skins on both sides gleefully joined in). Still though, to me, it's an artificial rivalry.
Never has it been truer to say, "It was The Sun what done it".

Absolutely right. Pre 1970's it just wasn't there...........a non existant feud that the press and a few oiks on both sides manage to perpetuate and now youngsters imagine that it has always been and must always be so.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I hate Palace.

They ruined my 21st birthday (5v0 game) and my older much bigger brother supports them.

But I do have a lot of time for the lads who come down and help make the REMF such a success.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Absolutely right. Pre 1970's it just wasn't there...........a non existant feud that the press and a few oiks on both sides manage to perpetuate and now youngsters imagine that it has always been and must always be so.
do you thnk all feuds are pre- ordained ?? they all start somewhere , the palace one just happened to start in the 70s.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Is "vitalfootball" a pseudonym for your fanzine or something? Such biased shite must have either directly or indirectly been supplied by Brighton fans.

Also... Alan Mullery OBE?!?!?! What the f*** did he do to deserve that?

So. Seagulls are CLEARLY better than Palarse. Its great some one else can see that! Wait till Slade is getting us in the Championship, then we will be seeing who is the better side *cough* BRIGHTON *cough*

Last edited:

goring dazza

Jul 19, 2004
Goring
I remember going to the game we lost 2-1 at smellhurst where we had Mike trusson sent off and 5 penalties in the game:ohmy:
The only game i've seen more aggro than this one was England v Scotland!
Got a late train up an was in a carriage with about 15 hoolies having a go at everyone as we got closer to palarse!
They got in with the palarse during the game and kicked off lol!
Lots of trouble before,during and after the game!
I remember a big skinhead that was surrounded by the scum and he was shouting 'come on then'
I also remember him at the game in Peterborough in the cup where someone had slashed his hand!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A worse fate even than this may well have befallen the Palace goalkeeper Perry Suckling, a man who, rather like the Queen Mother, wears gloves for no apparent reason...
:clap2::clap2::bowdown::bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here