Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to sign Loft

Seagull Stew

Conkers said:
dont worry i know what your trying to say and i totally agree with you. it's the same with CKR, yes he is one for the future but was never going to be a 20+ a season striker this season. what we need is someone who has proven themselves a good championship player

Umfortunately, a decent aged player who is good enough to be a 20+ a season championship striker is unlikely to want to move to a club without a non-league stadium, even if we were able to match his wages.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
Also, I don't know if you remember, but Adam Virgo didn't come through the youth ranks. He was bought by Micky Adams aged 17 (I think). That turned out to be quite a good move

Tim, Virgo did come through the youth ranks as did his brother James. I have a feeling he was never on a YTS deal as he was still doing his A-Levels at Ardingly College. However he did make his debut at a young age as we played Hartlepool away (2-2) the year we went up and all our other centre backs were injured other than Cullip and Virgo.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Richie Morris said:
In todays Argus Brighton will sign the left sided midfielder from Hastings United.

Another 'one for the future'.

And I bet you are the first to complain when we miss out on local talent like Ifil and Marcus Tudgay.

It's not as if anyone is saying "right that's it for the finances, now we've got Loft on board the money's all gone."

I think it is excellent that we plan both short and long term.

Stumpy Tim

Uncle Buck said:
Tim, Virgo did come through the youth ranks as did his brother James. I have a feeling he was never on a YTS deal as he was still doing his A-Levels at Ardingly College. However he did make his debut at a young age as we played Hartlepool away (2-2) the year we went up and all our other centre backs were injured other than Cullip and Virgo.

I'm sure Adam was spotted playing for Ardingly & signed up by Adams. I'm 95% sure he was not part of the Albion youth setup, but as I said, was only about 17 when signed. My point is that he didn't come to the club at 14 like most of these lads - he was spotted on a local scouting mission. Much like Loft really

Looked it up - signed up 1st August 2000 - when he was 17 1/2 - SoccerBase

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Stumpy Tim said:
It's not all we need, but it's another sign that the club are looking to the future as well as struggling to stay up this season.

I really don't see the problem.

Also, I don't know if you remember, but Adam Virgo didn't come through the youth ranks. He was bought by Micky Adams aged 17 (I think). That turned out to be quite a good move
What .........who from Ardingly

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
I'm sure Adam was spotted playing for Ardingly & signed up by Adams. I'm 95% sure he was not part of the Albion youth setup, but as I said, was only about 17 when signed. My point is that he didn't come to the club at 14 like most of these lads - he was spotted on a local scouting mission. Much like Loft really

Looked it up - signed up 1st August 2000 - when he was 17 1/2 - SoccerBase

He was part of the youth set up, as we had had his brother down here in the mid 1990's, however as he was still at school he was not on the same youth deal as the rest.

Signing pro forms at 17 is not uncommon, both Martin and Robinson were signed at that sort of age.

Stumpy Tim

Uncle Buck said:
He was part of the youth set up, as we had had his brother down here in the mid 1990's, however as he was still at school he was not on the same youth deal as the rest.

Signing pro forms at 17 is not uncommon, both Martin and Robinson were signed at that sort of age.

His brother certainly was in the youth setup. Adam wasn't. He didn't just sign pro forms - I'm sure he was simply scouted & signed. I remember it well

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Brighton tried to sign Virgo when he was about 15 but he turned them down so he could concentrate on his A'levels. He then signed either just before or just after he had finished them.

This isn't the definitive version but is pretty much spot on.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Is this true about Loft? Can't see the news on The Argus website and it has been updated.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's on the back page of the argus

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Is Loft a left sided central midfielder? Left footed? If he's good enough thats encouraging because I liked the balance Mayo brought into the side at Saints.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
How about planning long-term when we manage to sort out the short-term. We desparately need someone to create some openings for the strikers, and we need a bloody goal scorer! I'm all for snapping up local, promising talent, but at the moment McGhee should working day and night to adress those 2 issues.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Surely McGhee has not said "he's one for the future yet". Whose to say he's not "one for now"? ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am getting to the point where I would be happy with ANY new signing... let's hope he can contribute something to our first team, and soon... doesn't really sound like a Charlie replacement tho'... good luck to the lad... welcome aboard (if true)... :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
Surely McGhee has not said "he's one for the future yet". Whose to say he's not "one for now"? ???

Doesn't really sound likely that he is "one for now" tho' does it?... who knows...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here