Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to sign Loft

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Turkey said:
Surely McGhee has not said "he's one for the future yet". Whose to say he's not "one for now"? ???

if he is good enough, it does not mater about his age - fingers crossed he is one of these players that has fallen through the youth scouting nets like ian wright did.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
B.W. said:
Doesn't really sound likely that he is "one for now" tho' does it?... who knows...

Hastings and Youngster doesn't go to well together no :jester: However, we're short in midfield, we could do with a left sided center mid as we saw from Mayo at Saints, and who knows? We've got plenty of youngsters in our team. It's not like he's 16.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
hove born&bred said:
What .........who from Ardingly

Graham Dawtrey, who runs the football at Ardingly, is a former Albion reserve. Ardingly is one of the top football public schools in the country and regularly reaches the later stages of school tournaments. James Virgo was in their team when they played in the final of the Public Schools Cup at Craven Cottage. The school is one of the few public schools which do not play rugby.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Graham Dawtrey, who runs the football at Ardingly, is a former Albion reserve. Ardingly is one of the top football public schools in the country and regularly reaches the later stages of school tournaments. James Virgo was in their team when they played in the final of the Public Schools Cup at Craven Cottage. The school is one of the few public schools which do not play rugby.

Ardingly is another Woodard school, as are Lancing and Hurstpierpoint and all these are football schools, along with places such as Charterhouse and Winchester.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Fantastic news! We need to spot, nurture, and (unfortunately) sell, talented players to progress over the next few years.

However, we do need to find players to help keep us in this division as well. I feel sorry for CKR and Jake R, they should not be expected to be main members of the team at this stage and subjected to abuse - save that for Magoo who has lost, or lost the respect of, or failed to sign the right experienced players! :angry:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Doug Loft (Midfielder)
Date of Birth 25/12/86
2005/06 Appearances 10 Goals 2
Yellow Cards 1 Red Cards 0
Career Appearances 10 Goals 2
Teenage central or left sided midfield player, who signed for United in November 2005, after being released by League Two side Gillingham. Scored on his First Team debut in the Westview Cup against Braintree Town.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
who was it who first told NSC it was doug loft on trial?

oh yeah, me.

so he better do well :)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
He did well last night against a decent Reading reserve side. He won a lot of midfield tackles, distributed the ball well and seemed full of running. The only thing to criticise was that he was sometimes far too ambitious in his passing. He tried to hit two or three 30-40 yard crossfield passes that were picked off by the defence.

The fact is that, without Oatway, we need someone in midfield to win us the ball. Carpenter's getting back to full fitness but Nicholas is still not ready. We could do far worse than Loft.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
BensGrandad said:
Any mention of the fee if he is registered with Hastings Utd they will obviously want something

He's non contract so all we need to do is give Hastings 7 days notice and then sign him. However, he played in the Le Havre without permission which could cause a few problems.

But at the moment the palyers know hat they have all the power (withanother couple of weeks left of the transfer window left) they can still pick and choose where they want to go, and the clubs are left making offers. Until the window starts closing at the end of the month when you can expect more deals to be done as players become more desperate to seal a contract

All the transfer window does is make buying players more of an auction than it was before.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it is quite comical ( but thoroughly understandable due to our current financial situation) that most Championship sides are signing players from the Premiership, overseas or other championship clubs, and we are signing a bloke who failed at Gillingham and is now playing for Hastings.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Good luck to him though obviously, as he is one for the future, I recon we will be capable of winning the Champions League in 5 years as we will have a fantasic team...I just hope we will not be in the Coca Cola League instead!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Theres no pleasing some people is there. I can't see how looking at this lad affects the progress on signing more experienced players.

As for the 20 a season striker, well we're going to have to find a player and turn them into a goalscorer, cos no way have we got the money to buy a forward with that sort of proven record at championship level.

D

Deleted User X18H

West Hoathly Seagull said:
Yes I know when I worked in Haywards Heath all the twin set and pearl partimers son's used to go to Ardingly and were always on about the schools footy prowess I mentioned the James Virgo played for the Albion and was told had a younger brother who was and even better prospect

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Caveman said:
The more bodies the better, Gary Hart springs to mind when you think of non league and if this new guy puts in the same commitment and enthusiasm then you wont see me complaining.
As well as Ian Wright, Dave Kitson etc.

I don't know why people are moaning about this.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Silent Bob said:
As well as Ian Wright, Dave Kitson etc.

I don't know why people are moaning about this.
Please remember that there are some on this board that are never happier then when they have something to moan about, justified or not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here