Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton ---- Realistic expectation for 2012/2013

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Top 10, It will be harder this year, Donny, Pompy and Cov gone. Big replacements with big budgets in Wednesday and Hudds. We no longer have that momentum.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Last season, I opted for mid table mediocrity ( 13th-19th )

This season, based on signings so far and teams now in the Championship, anything above 13th is more than acceptable

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think we'll be better than last year, the only problem being, I think a lot of other teams are also.
That's the key bit, for me. I expect us to improve, after the quality additions we've made (with hopefully another one or two on their way) - which you'd naturally think would give us a good platform for another play-off push, and realistically a successful one. But looking through the division there are numerous potential big guns who appear to have finally sorted themselves out, or are at least in the process of doing so.

Hull are spending, Cardiff are spending, likewise Birmingham and Boro - even Burnley have a sizeable budget to play with. The teams who have come down are retaining a surprising amount of players who are potentially too good for this league, whilst the teams who have come up all have the set-ups and budgets (bar perhaps Charlton?) to kick on and do well. Leicester are coming good under Pearson, and you'd expect Warnock to at least have Leeds challenging for play-offs. Ipswich severely underachieved last season, same with Forest - although I suspect the latter's take-over has come too late, as their squad needs some serious re-building. Watford have the Zola factor.

It's going to be a challenge, no doubt - the level of ambition/spending being shown all around is only going to increase the competition. No reason why we can't rise to it though, between 6th and 8th would be my bet, erring on the optimistic side.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very impressed with our defence for next season. If Vicente can play 30+ games then play-offs should be achievable but I'd be happy with another top ten finish (unless we sign Owen then only 1st would do)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Without slip ups like last year !! last playoff place so 6th !!

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Last season, I opted for mid table mediocrity ( 13th-19th )

This season, based on signings so far and teams now in the Championship, anything above 13th is more than acceptable

This. Sustainable growth is the answer...........

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would like to think we could make the play-offs, but if we don't I won't lose any sleep over it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We are a much better team than last season - and until the last few matches we were in with a decent chance of the play-offs. I reckon we'll finish 4th or 5th, automatic probably a step too far, but not out of the question. Trouble is, it is going to be a bloody strong divsion.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I am looking forward to the new season & believe we can do well but also know that the championship is full of teams that believe they can do well.
As it stands we have made minor improvements to our squad but that will only become relevant when we see how other teams have changed.
Last season we made a great start to the season & that helped us when we had a poor run of form.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
I think we will struggle for the first few games. Expectation about us has changed, with others knowing what to expect. Last year we were unbelievable in the first 6 or 7 games (and some lucky results too), this year if we don't make that start it could be a lot harder. I think we will have a season that builds, particularly if we don't strengthen the squad until the Xmas window. I think Gus is finding bringing in a quality CM and ST more difficult than he thought.

My call is mid table by half way point, play offs by end of season.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Automatic promotion

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Top 10 will suit me, you have to remember where we were not so long ago

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
weren't far off the play-offs last season really, especially considering that we were in and around it for much of the season

with that in mind, we already have a far stronger squad than what we started with last season so i'm naturally looking for an improvement on 10th.......in my heart we can make the play-offs

This is my view TL. I think the extra experience of last season will help too.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here