Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton ---- Realistic expectation for 2012/2013

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think we'll end really well and finish second. I honestly think it's our year. Even if the window closes tomorrow, I'm delighted with the strengthening of our back five.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As part of your predictions you should also ask about cup runs. In recent years we have seen the likes of Millwall, Cardiff, Pompey, making the final and other lower league sides mounting ambitious cup runs. What's saying Brighton can't make an FA Cup Semi-Final this season, or anyone in this division for that matter? With a bit of luck in the draw and on the pitch, anything can happen.

It's a brilliant division, a real-life soap opera, and I for one am delighted we are a part of it.

Yup - you forget about the Cup runs, but they are a fantastic bonus now, and I really look forward to it, knowing that quarters and semis are completely possible if the draw is kind and form is up on the day.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
10th with a good run to get (almost) everyone excited and a bad run to keep the doomsayers happy

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think you should ask this question again once the transfer window closes and everyone has closed for business. You'll get a more accurate conclusion and predictions.

What I will say is - and it's been said a million times - is that this division is one of the most unpredictable and fascinating divisions to watch. In 2005 The Championship was the sixth richest division in Europe - I fully expect that to have risen since then what with some of the wages and transfer fees being thrown about.

Who really knows where we will finish this year. You would hope for play-offs. But put yourselves in the position of Leicester supporters last season. They were red-hot favourites to win the league, let alone get promoted, and it just didn’t happen for them and in the end suffered a really disjointed campaign. They only started to look threatening when it was too late in the season. And Ipswich too. If I'm honest, I looked at their squad at the start of last season and with Jewell in charge of his first pre-season and I thought they'd be pushing for play-offs. What a disappointment they were. Look at Forest this year - I suspect their expectations have gone through the roof if reports are true of the type of money they have at their disposal, in comparison to others in this division.

As part of your predictions you should also ask about cup runs. In recent years we have seen the likes of Millwall, Cardiff, Pompey, making the final and other lower league sides mounting ambitious cup runs. What's saying Brighton can't make an FA Cup Semi-Final this season, or anyone in this division for that matter? With a bit of luck in the draw and on the pitch, anything can happen.

It's a brilliant division, a real-life soap opera, and I for one am delighted we are a part of it.

I can't disagree with any of the above. As great as an achievement as it would be, life in the premier league might not be quite so much fun...

Quarter final in a cup is a definite posibility!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's a really tough league, much more exciting than the Prem.

Anyone can, on their day, beat anyone.

Get in a REALLY good CM to play alongside Bridcutt, keep the rest fit, and I think we can improve on last year.

Personally, I'm not that bothered if we don't go up, (Although I guess it would be fun for a couple of years!) I loved last season in the Championship - I'm quite happy watching good football at a fair price.

I don't want to be paying £45.00 a ticket with a 4pm kick off on a Sunday, with 4 home games less than we currently get.

Gus won't see it that way though - if we don't match his ambition, then anything could happen.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Top two. Did really well last season, and the squad is already much improved. We have the best manager in the division... so can't really see why we why be champs or runners up.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
2nd season syndrome.

the trouble with all superstition is that it is a load of old shit. '2nd season syndrome' i expect seems a bit of a phenomenon on some occasions, most probably with clubs who do not have much ambition, rest on their laurels and do more poorly the season after a decent first because of complacency and lack of on-pitch investment.

kindly do one with your yokelish and underthought interpretations of our chances, which are based on your desire rather than any kind of reality.

i FONDLY remember how much of a 'wake-up call' we were going to get in our first season! Oh we were so arrogant to hope we might stay up! And we came tenth, pleasing all but the most short-sighted of our fanbase. And by pleasing I mean making us f***ing THRILLED!

We have now signed top-level players in 3 key positions which were suspect last season. And they are TOP TOP level at that. Yes, older - that is how we in the Championship can bag them. They will still help us tear your forlornly depleting mob a new one.

Cocky? Maybe. But only in the face of moronic fantasy like you have accepted into your desperate little mind as fact, or even potential. Time for you to wake up chum and think about your opinions.

ps. I know you are one of the better palace on here btw (...i think) so don't take it personally, but you're spouting the party line and sadly it so happens the party is full of absolute brainless and more or less (spitefully) optimistic f***ing morons.

:)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Theory (comparing with other clubs squads) says top 8.

In my experience, 'theory' and 'practice' have little in common.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
think we will come second, i can reallly see it.......or fall just back into the play-offs and lose the fist two games due to dodgy luck / ref.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Optimistically, I will say somewhere between 2nd and 4th. However, being negative there is a slight chance we'll miss out on the top 6, with 8th being an absolute worst case scenario.

Palace will finish 4th from bottom for the 3rd time in 4 seasons, because they are shite. But thanks for the 6 points.

That'll be FIVE MORE than last season then !!!!!!!!!!

Delusion reigns at the Amex still I see

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes, how could we POSSIBLY expect to get more from than a point from your tin pot weaker than last season's 17th placed below Millwall outfit?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I got last year spot-on with 10th (though until the last few weeks I thought I'd been stupidly pessimistic for most of the season) so I'm going to say ...

8th.

I think we'll be better than last year, the only problem being, I think a lot of other teams are also.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the trouble with all superstition is that it is a load of old shit. '2nd season syndrome' i expect seems a bit of a phenomenon on some occasions, most probably with clubs who do not have much ambition, rest on their laurels and do more poorly the season after a decent first because of complacency and lack of on-pitch investment.

kindly do one with your yokelish and underthought interpretations of our chances, which are based on your desire rather than any kind of reality.

i FONDLY remember how much of a 'wake-up call' we were going to get in our first season! Oh we were so arrogant to hope we might stay up! And we came tenth, pleasing all but the most short-sighted of our fanbase. And by pleasing I mean making us f***ing THRILLED!

We have now signed top-level players in 3 key positions which were suspect last season. And they are TOP TOP level at that. Yes, older - that is how we in the Championship can bag them. They will still help us tear your forlornly depleting mob a new one.

Cocky? Maybe. But only in the face of moronic fantasy like you have accepted into your desperate little mind as fact, or even potential. Time for you to wake up chum and think about your opinions.

ps. I know you are one of the better palace on here btw (...i think) so don't take it personally, but you're spouting the party line and sadly it so happens the party is full of absolute brainless and more or less (spitefully) optimistic f***ing morons.

:)

Trippin mate. I'm BHA and think you will find I'm a pretty positve poster as well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Why don't you run along to the thread about our expectations for you and give us a laugh with YOUR delusions

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

So delusional to think we could beat you twice, when all logic suggests that's quite possible. Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here