Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton introduce loyalty system for away games

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good idea, although frankly you just long for the days when you could queue up and pay on the gate without bollocks like 'fan numbers'.

this.

as binfests go this thread must be one of the most disappointing in ages - can't we get Jimbo to post some insider insights on how 1901ers are going to get free transport and a picnic basket to go with their priority away tickets?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can't fault the idea of a loyalty scheme, even though it will disadvantage me as an exile, who manages perhaps only a dozen matches a season usually all away.
I can see the biggest problem for any exile will be trying to get a ticket for a home match, with so few 'on the day' tickets available.
I'm sure all us exiles want to get to the Amex, but if it becomes impossible to watch a game at our new home that would be more than a crying shame.

:amex::ascarf:

This

I'm a 10 games a year, mostly away, fan, but do get to Brighton once or twice a year. Would be gutted not to be able to get in to the Amex on the very odd occasion whilst all you locals get in every week - is that fair?

Perhaps if I keep my Carlisle away stub, I'll be allowed to see Carlisle at the Amex too?

Always got a ticket on the day [POTG] at the Goldstone - Amex can't compete in that respect I guess? Who'd of thought ....

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Sorry but if people are going to start using Seagulls World subscription as a claim for why they should get big game tickets then we really are sunk. Seagulls World isn't even run by the club is it? Anyway, if you only go to a few local games I doubt you will miss out on tickets for them. We're not going to sell out Championship away games every week, neither is there going to be a problem buying tickets for Walsall, Hudderfield, Notts County etc. if we're still in League One.

I never said I would be looking for big game tickets, all I stated was that as an exile why shouldn't a subscription count as althouth the club do not run it, they take a cut of payments, and I do the Walsall away and hopefully Notts County last game too if I can get a ticket.
My point was that there are many classes of fan and yes season ticket holders should get priority, but if the club want to run a loyalty scheme then all cases should be looked at.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I never said I would be looking for big game tickets, all I stated was that as an exile why shouldn't a subscription count as althouth the club do not run it, they take a cut of payments, and I do the Walsall away and hopefully Notts County last game too if I can get a ticket.
My point was that there are many classes of fan and yes season ticket holders should get priority, but if the club want to run a loyalty scheme then all cases should be looked at.

OMG. Your Seagulls World subscription point was a serious one wasnt it!:eek:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One point why should you get points for buying home tickets when most of us are season ticket holders

But most of "us" aren't season ticket holders, are we?

It's typical that this system will now come in just when it'll be harder for me to rack up the points - especially if we get promoted this year, which will leave my nearest game next year 180 miles away in Bristol (though Bournemouth may be about the same from here)!

It is the system we've been crying out for for years, though, so no complaints from me.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There is an awful lot of 'what if' and 'this wouldn't be fair if' on this thread. How about we wait to see how the points are given before we start belly aching over 1901 priority, points for home games vs season tickets, Seagulls World subscriptions :shootself and I was at the Hartlepool Cup replay on a Tuesday night points?

ack

Apr 20, 2006
OMG. Your Seagulls World subscription point was a serious one wasnt it!:eek:

Cant be arsed to argue the toss over this,all I wanted was a fair crack at a home ticket at the Amex like many poor souls who only get down a few times a year, but pay into the club coffers by other means.

I guess what is not being revealed is how points are being allocated. There are many permutations, but it would be easy to give guaranteed priority to 1901ers, eg...

1901 home game attended - 3 points
Non-1901 home game attended - 1 point
Away game attended - 1 point
Will a 1901 Club member who misses a home game miss out on getting the points? Personally, I think they should. And I suspect there will be quite a number of them (and S/T holders) who don't go to all the home matches.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Here are how the points are allocated at a few clubs

QPR:

70 Loyalty Points - Renewing Season Ticket Holder

50 Loyalty Points - New Season Ticket Holder

30 Loyalty Points - Renewing Full Adult Member

20 Loyalty Points - New Full Adult Member

10 Loyalty Points - Adult Ticket Member

1-10 Loyalty Points - Away Fixtures

Wolves:

Purchase Points awarded

20010/11 Season Ticket 1000

Membership to TPS scheme 10/11 100

Young Wolves membership 10/11 50

League home or away match ticket 10

Cup home match ticket 10

Cup away match ticket 10

Chelsea:

One point:
- Manchester United
- Arsenal
- Liverpool
- Tottenham
- Manchester City
- West Ham United
- Uefa Champions League home knockout stages

Three points:
All other home and away FAPL games.

Five points:
All FA Cup, Carling Cup home and away games and Uefa Champions League group stage home and away games.

Tickets for the Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United matches home and away will be sold on a loyalty point basis where possible.

Points will not be awarded for attendance at any domestic cup final, Uefa Champions League final or the FA Cup semi-final. Loyalty points will only apply to tickets purchased from the box office/call centre and via Thomas Cook (for away Champions League matches only). Loyalty points will not apply for hospitality packages or Viagogo purchases.

QPRs scheme looks the most equitable to me. I do think the previous seasons points should roll over though. This would prevent problems with potential early season high demand matches.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will a 1901 Club member who misses a home game miss out on getting the points? Personally, I think they should. And I suspect there will be quite a number of them (and S/T holders) who don't go to all the home matches.

I did think when I typed that if someone would pick up on the word 'attended' there. I nearly edited it out as I really can't see a system being sophisticated enough to verify actual attendance when a ticket is in hand - surely the most practical metric is a ticket purchased (inclusive of season ticket / 1901 ticket), otherwise...

- They would also have to record the attendance of 'pay per game' purchasers instead of just the fact that a ticket had been bought.

- To be completely fair they'd need to also verify the same for away tickets in order to stop those who have the financial means to buy away tickets to keep their points up, but only actually attending the 'big' games.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm in stitches at the number of people who genuinely (ie not fishing!) think 1901's will get any sort of advantage over normal STH's:lolol:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Can only be a good thing imo, simple means that more of us regulars will be able to go ahead of the newbies!

Not all non-regulars are newbies

Worth buying tickets for games even if not attending

Don't have a problem with this. Many clubs use this already

Called a season ticket isn't it ?

I did think when I typed that if someone would pick up on the word 'attended' there. I nearly edited it out as I really can't see a system being sophisticated enough to verify actual attendance when a ticket is in hand - surely the most practical metric is a ticket purchased (inclusive of season ticket / 1901 ticket), otherwise...

- They would also have to record the attendance of 'pay per game' purchasers instead of just the fact that a ticket had been bought.

Thought that would be easy with the new cards, load it on, record it used.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm in stitches at the number of people who genuinely (ie not fishing!) think 1901's will get any sort of advantage over normal STH's:lolol:

Businesses snap up Falmer Stadium corporate seats From The Argus) I can't find anything on the Seagulls site to link too. But a whole bunch of us will be pissed off if the club renege on promises! I'm not saying that I should be treated any differently but it's a selling point the club offered when the packages went on sale.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Businesses snap up Falmer Stadium corporate seats From The Argus) I can't find anything on the Seagulls site to link too. But a whole bunch of us will be pissed off if the club renege on promises! I'm not saying that I should be treated any differently but it's a selling point the club offered when the packages went on sale.

Didn't the club come out and say no firm decision had been made as to priority or did I imagine that?

Edit: found this 1901 Club not sure it answers it or not

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Didn't the club come out and say no firm decision had been made as to priority or did I imagine that?

I'm not too sure, but if they did its possible they were talking of supporters as a whole. If they stick to their promise re 1901 then they can still manipulate it to deliver on that. I think Lord B's suggestion is a good one. If a season ticket holder including the 1901's don't attend then points could be deducted.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

There is no way they will alienate 15,000 STH's by giving priority to the 1901'ers.

If they do, then I don't want to be on here when it's announced :duckandcover:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

The only point to note is that this is exactly what the 1901 presenatations clearly said would be the case. 1901 Club members would get priority for A Grade away games, ie FA Cup games etc. Whether or not it happens, or if it's fair, is another thing, the point is, this was not in any way ambiguous, it was crystal clear. Personally, I can't see it happening now they have sold 2500 of them, rather than the 1000 they were initially expecting to sell, but there are going to be some 1901 members who will probably hold them to this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here