Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in Crap Towns II - do they have a point?

Lush

Mods' Pet
"Crap Towns II: The Nation Decides" is due to be published later this year.

About Brighton it says..."Imagine exams to find the most odious individuals in the South-East and those who passed with flying colours were all sent to Brighton."

I have to say, I think they have a point. There are quite a lot of characters who have moved to a "larger than life" town and seem to be in some kind of competition to out-do each other.

Some great descriptions of other towns coming up...

Bath: "Essentially a retirement town with an unpleasant amount of students. The centre of this beautiful city is basically a concrete trench lined with McDonald's restaurants and vicious teenagers idly playing with lock knives. In the summer it fills to the brim with loud tourists who clog the narrow streets like the coagulated grease in a Scotsman's arteries. In the winter, the only escape is incest."

Windsor: "The big thing about Windsor is that its townsfolk believe that, by living near the castle, they are more or less royalty themselves. Indeed, once Windsor women pass the age of 60, they seem to lose the plot altogether and convince themselves they actually are the Queen."

Kew in west London: "Populated by big bankers with receding hairlines and exploding girths ... the sticky cherry on top of affluent Richmond's already calorie-filled cake"

Edinburgh: "Cold in all sorts of ways: the people, the buildings, the gaps in the cityscape caused by the hills and, above all, the all-year-round icy winds."

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I bought Crap Towns 1 for my daughter at Christmas to help her decide where NOT to go to Uni!

Found out that I had lived in at least four of the crappest towns ....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Too many old people/young people/students/dole-scroungers/ poshheads/pissheads/crackheads/bagheads/bigheads/bankers/wankers/talkers/stalkers/friendly-chaps/pissflaps/jihadders/braders/timewasters/turkey-basters/slackmonkeys/TVjunkies/parcelsniffers/etc etc.
The Earth: what a shithole.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you want truly crap towns go to places like Stevenage and Livingston. I've travelled up and down the country loads over the past ten years and most towns are impossible to tell apart: same shops, crap architecture, totally dead in the evenings apart from the local chain 'theme' pub. These books seem to concentrate on 'crap' towns which people actually like to visit... which therefore aren't really crap at all. Brighton, Bath and Edinburgh are all top places.

If you couldn't enjoy yourself as a student in Brighton, you mght as well give up on life.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Agreed, trueblue. That book is cretinous, really.

Yeah, Brighton, Bath and Edinburgh are really "crap" places, aren't they...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I went to Windsor the other week. Never looked around before, but had a very pleasant Sunday there and, quite possibly, the best roast ever.

No, no... not that sort of roast.... :nono:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
And, even if I they write about somewhere really "crap", (for which read "impoverished"), I'm sure the last thing places like that need is a bunch of posh Nathan Barley-types pitching up and writing sneeringly about the fact that the locals are clearly far too plebian to be able to sustain even a reasonably-sized Waitrose.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
strike95 said:
Brighton is not crap its a cool place to go, it feels like my second home although I have never lived there, I think London and Manchester, Bradford, Liverpool places like that are crap.

BRADFORD IS THE NO1 HELL.

Brighton is a good place to live,I agree..But it is over priced and is definately not a up and coming city. But thats why people like it.

Bradford is a piss-hole.

Your wrong about Manchester though,I lived there and its amazing for clubbing and pubs and shops and affordable city living,So im not quite sure where you got the crap bit from??

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
If you go looking for crap anywhere you'll find it. I've seen the book and the criticisms of each town could be applied to pretty much any town if you go to the right part of it or spend a long enough time there.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
strike95 said:
BRADFORD IS THE NO1 HELL.

Not true

A place is what you make it. I lived for nearly 3 years in Bingley (3 miles from Bradford) and if you want a cheap, good nite out with friends, then Bradford is fine, alot better than other places I could mention (Coventry, Grimsby, Middlesboro, Colchester etc)

Far enough Bradford is not the most beautiful of places, but to describe it as the No1 Hellhole is not true

Plus the best curry houses in England!!!!!!

Dandyman

In London village.
Southend has to be the biggest S***hole of all time - like Liverpool in the 80's without the decent beer !

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
In book 1 it had Winchester in the top couple because of the 'number of drunks to be found on the streets on Saturday night' - because that it is a rarity in any place in the UK. It didnt mention any of the benefits of the place.

It was a terrible piece of writing that just selected random places that are actually nice to live but thought it would be a good laugh to slag off. Undoubtedly Brighton will be one of the top five in the next edition.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Good-shout with liverpool,Its rough all over!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Bath: "Essentially a retirement town with an unpleasant amount of students. The centre of this beautiful city is basically a concrete trench lined with McDonald's restaurants and vicious teenagers idly playing with lock knives. In the summer it fills to the brim with loud tourists who clog the narrow streets like the coagulated grease in a Scotsman's arteries. In the winter, the only escape is incest."

having lived in Bath for 8 years this is bollocks - there is only one Macdonalds in the city centre!

And yes - the centre does get filled to the brim with tourists in the summer. I can't for the life of me think why they choose Bath over Basingstoke or Slough.

cheap shock tactics that deserves to go straight in the bin.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Although not a crap hole.... I recently went to Bournemouth for a weekend with some mates..........................A more feisty town I have yet to visit.......whilst out clubbing the amount of fights I saw was unbelievable........you would have to club in Brighton all summer to see as many.
Went clubbing in Brighton last weekend and felt much more at home..........................................God I love Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here