Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in Crap Towns II - do they have a point?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Welcome to the thread alan.

:wave:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
tommy boy 86 said:
nah it was definately in that area, it was a biggish ugly town with nothing there, we had to ask people what they thought of the quarry lorries that were driving through the town:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Keighley ?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I have lived in East and West Sussex, Devon, Lancashire, Derbyshire and Kent and would like to nominate the following places from those counties (and a few outside) as being particularly awful (Brighton isn't included!)

Peacehaven
Hastings
Bexhill
Bognor Regis
Rustington
Pulborough
Crawley
Polegate
Hailsham
Upper Beeding
Skelmersdale
Salford
Ashton Under Lyne
Stoke on Trent
Burnley
Morecambe
Bradford

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
If you think Bradford is bad, then visit ARDROSSAN quite possibly the most ghastly town in Britain, its the ferry port for The Isle of Arran and it makes Newhaven look like Venice

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What a dreary negative thread this is.

MY FAVOURITE BRITISH CITIES ARE:
Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow, Nottingham, Brighton, Liverpool, Exeter, York, Scarborough, London, Sheffield, Leicester in no particular order.

Places are what you make them. I must admit though I don't like 1960s new towns and who put the horp in Scunthorpe.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
CRAWLEY GOOD AND BAD BY STRIKE95

Good
It has one of the best shopping centres in Sussex (County Mall)
It has the biggest single runway airport in the world (Gatwick)
It has a good housing system
It has history (not everyone knows that)
It is the fastest growing town in Sussex
It has the best non-league team in Sussex. (Crawley Town FC)
It is not too rough

Bad
Apart from the High Street area the town lacks character
The town has a weird S.London/ Southern accent (Crawley Accent)
Not much to do in town in the evening (unless you wanna get pissed or beaten up by yobbos)
Its got lots of Palarse fans
Its full of Ex-Londoners who give you funny looks in the town centre if you wear a Brighton shirt.
It has one of the highest teenage pregancie rates in the UK.
It did not allow Albion to use Broadfield Stadium.

7 Good points and 7 Bad points overall I think Crawley's not bad but its not quite my type of town, I hope to move to somewhere on the coast in a few years time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The book DOES have a point about Brighton - but only recently. The town's always been seedy and safe. Always had loads of harmless loons and winos and junkies. Just how we used to like it. Biggest threat to the character of the town is the new breed of incoming dormitory-town property investors who suck the soul out of the town and give nothing back. I live in a block of six flats. Every time someone moves out, the people who move in are richer, greyer and more obsessed with their own little bit of over-priced turf than the lot before. With the result that anybody can chuck up a characterless striped-pine 'bar-cafe' and instantly have it filled with a cardboard cut-out clientele who just make it more like Guildford By The Sea all the time. Yada Yada

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Thing is all towns are good bad/points some more so than other.

Worthing where i grew up could be a potential candidate, No decent cinema for a town of 90 thousand this is piss poor, no decent pubs anymore all taken over by the Yates brigade, No real character either same could be said of alot of UK seaside towns and have the council done some sort of deal with some inner city London borough to import a bunch of scummers more and more of them seem to frequent the place on a friday saturday night, No real decent paying jobs so there for suffers from the commuter town tag and hence high house prices but Worthing is a good place to live as generally nice areas/ houses etc.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Tom Hark said:
who just make it more like Guildford By The Sea all the time. Yada Yada

Oi-I resent that comment!

It'll never become bad enough to become Guildford by the sea. It's impossible-Guildford is the most soul-less place in Britain. Add to that a one way system designed by idiots, a Cathedral that is uglier than any other Cathedral in the world, 3 million empty offices with more being built continually, guaranteed trouble around bar street every weekend. blah blah blah blah!!

The only thing Guildford has in common with Brighton is that there is a campaign for a new stadium, albeit a very low key campaign right now. Slight variation in that they are looking for the council to support it (fat chance).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
f***ing bollox Brighton is one of the best places in Britain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here