Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield United *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter had a sly dig at fans getting impatient at 20 mins first time he's shown any emotion in an interview I think for Brighton!! . I thought of that Swedish interview he did , was it you that posted that ?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Haven’t heard it but when Albion roll over to teams, as we did until they scored. He’d better get used to the fans reaction (not if we were booing though, that is totally out of order)

Is he deflecting from his own disappointment?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter had a sly dig at fans getting impatient at 20 mins first time he's shown any emotion in an interview I think for Brighton!! . I thought of that Swedish interview he did , was it you that posted that ?

Yes it was. And though first 20 was very poor booing that early is some bad shit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Potter got it wrong today, and his formation and substitutions were bizarrely wrong too IMO.

the players didn't have a good day either.

Credit where it's due Chris Wilder gets 10/10. Potter didn't get anything much right today. Worst I've seen since he arrived.

D

Deleted member 2719

1339391274508_6192001.png

So patience with GraPott, no patience for Hughton?

Surely you can remember his terrible run, where we were hanging on for the 2nd part of the season, come back in April on this.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Good team Sheff U. Did a number on us today. GPott needs to think about playing Shane Duffy; a defender first and foremost and liable to do damage in both boxes. Webster may well be a better footballer but we are currently leaving out the best defensive header of a ball in the PL - and it cost us big time today

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's obvious why he picks Webster over Duffy. Webster is more useful on the ball.

However his defensive liability is a great concern. He's still young and learning though, so I hope the fans don't get on his back.

If being useful on the ball is the main qualification, may as well play Propper at centre back. He’d be poor defensively but it’s difficult to see what the difference would be at the moment.

Sadly, the Premier League’s not really a place to be learning the basics of your trade. It’s costing us points - and not just today.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well we were warned by United fans on their message board.

Pretty much every team they come up against has their 'worst game of the season'. Fact is Sheffield United are so organised they manage to have players up front when they attack and near enough everyone back when they defend.

I'm not convinced we horrendous we were just severely exposed. Wilder knew every weakness, and Webster is a big big weakness at the moment .

I just hope Grappot will be taking notes off the Spurs' message boards before Thursday.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Good team Sheff U. Did a number on us today. GPott needs to think about playing Shane Duffy; a defender first and foremost and liable to do damage in both boxes. Webster may well be a better footballer but we are currently leaving out the best defensive header of a ball in the PL - and it cost us big time today

But GraPott is instilling talented youth in the side!!!!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think it's quite clear that day-glo yellow kits are Dale Stephens' kryptonite, the last time he played that badly was Cardiff City last season, who played in the sale colour kit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven’t heard it but when Albion roll over to teams, as we did until they scored. He’d better get used to the fans reaction (not if we were booing though, that is totally out of order)

Is he deflecting from his own disappointment?

This.

A goal down, outfought from the first minute, we made their strikers look world beaters, a shocking home performance. Always deflating

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Awful today.

In particular how slow we were. Slow to move on or off the ball. Slow to pick out the pass. So slow infact that the entire Sheff team had time to get between us and goal every goddamned time.

I am an advocate of Potter's here (you can stick GraPott up your arse, what even is that?) but he also had a stinker today. From failing to raise the tempo to his, quite frankly bizarre choice of subs.

A learning experience, lets hope, for all involved.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m not sure one single Sheffield United player would get in our team but they were one of the most organised gritty teams I’ve ever seen.

Exactly the conversation we had on way to car park. None of their players make you go WOW, there's no Salah type talent, but they are a bloody good TEAM.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Look out, politics should not be mentioned in other threads, Kraay will be gunning for you. :guns:

He won't, but I will - it was my directive to kick the pointless political shit out of threads that have nothing to do with politics.

Please accept this as a last warning on the matter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Awful today.

In particular how slow we were. Slow to move on or off the ball. Slow to pick out the pass. So slow infact that the entire Sheff team had time to get between us and goal every goddamned time.

I am an advocate of Potter's here (you can stick GraPott up your arse, what even is that?) but he also had a stinker today. From failing to raise the tempo to his, quite frankly bizarre choice of subs.

A learning experience, lets hope, for all involved.

Reminiscent of Hughton’s Amex football against Cardiff and Stains. Snails Albion made the opposition look world beaters.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Exactly what is wrong with what was said?
These quotes

"3 points dropped, Sheffield United is a game we should of won"......"no better than under Hughton in the table"......

Yes were absolute shite today, there's no disputing that, but do we automatically assume it should be 3 points in the bag against a team who haven't lost away in the Premier league all season & whom are placed higher than us. We've been brilliant for the last few weeks & had a bad day against a very good side, cue the bed wetting....

It's pure ignorance again from some of our fans who only look at the name of the team visiting & just make assumptions. The same goes for the "we're in the same league position under Potter & points as Chris Hughton" brigade. Do they not watch football? Have they not realised Sheffield United are no mugs.....? Do they not remember how utterly useless we were last season for the majority & how dire the football was.....?

We are allowed to be shit occasionally, it happens to nearly every team across a season multiple times. When it starts happening every single week for months on end is the time to worry, not after one performance.

We had every chance of winning the game today before kickoff & every chance of losing against an excellent side. We were shit & got exactly what we deserved. Assuming we should have 3 points in the bag against "Sheffield United" is pure ignorance & entitlement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Webster' performance had me feeling I was back at Priestfield. It was so bad. Defend man. Overthinking everything and doing nothing well. 4 absolute calamitous mistakes. If Duffy doesn't start next then that is terrible man management of him alone let alone Webster.

Stephens - should not have started imo. His performance then was worse than I have ever seen and I am a fan . Potter we don't need a holding player against a counting attacking team at home.

Montoya - we really need a new right back if we want to get better.

Dunk - not a captains performance at all. Poor decisions and not vocal enough on the pitch imo.

Propper- why was he playing right back!? Absolutely should have been in the middle rather than Stephens.

Murray - came on and fouled. When he didn't foul, he gave the ball away. Best ever striker in my time of watching BHA (minus Bobby) but his time has sadly passed. Could say we don't play to his strengths but that was awful.

Maupay - felt sorry for him first half but the teams performance resonated into him and he was as poor as the rest by the end.

Mooy, Burn and Connelly (and Propper) are the only ones who deserve not to be slated.

Potter - surely you know what they are all about. We came out slow, indecisive and at times looked arrogant. By the end lacking confidence. Well done for making early subs but would have brought Duffy on for Webster (he would have won a header for a start) and left Trossard instead of bringing on Murray.

Sheffield United - well played. You make it hard for the opposition. Deserved to win.

Christmas party - did we have one this week. Last night?

to be fair I thought Propper played well on the wing (don't think he was playing right back) and got some decent crosses in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let's hope Potter and the players get this sorted quickly. Play like that against Spurs on Boxing Day and we will deservedly get absolutely shredded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here