Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield United *** Official Match Thread ***

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Punchbag Stephens, a defensive/sitting midfielder who’s never been in any football team to create. Whilst Gross and Propper went completely AWOL from their roles to create, drive forward, play Maupay and Connolly in on goal.

I wouldn't say Propper went AWOL, as he was clearly out on the right of the midfield 4 and often found lots of space. Didn't always do everything right with it, but his application was better than it has been this season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Webster' performance had me feeling I was back at Priestfield. It was so bad. Defend man. Overthinking everything and doing nothing well. 4 absolute calamitous mistakes. If Duffy doesn't start next then that is terrible man management of him alone let alone Webster.

Stephens - should not have started imo. His performance then was worse than I have ever seen and I am a fan . Potter we don't need a holding player against a counting attacking team at home.

Montoya - we really need a new right back if we want to get better.

Dunk - not a captains performance at all. Poor decisions and not vocal enough on the pitch imo.

Propper- why was he playing right back!? Absolutely should have been in the middle rather than Stephens.

Murray - came on and fouled. When he didn't foul, he gave the ball away. Best ever striker in my time of watching BHA (minus Bobby) but his time has sadly passed. Could say we don't play to his strengths but that was awful.

Maupay - felt sorry for him first half but the teams performance resonated into him and he was as poor as the rest by the end.

Mooy, Burn and Connelly (and Propper) are the only ones who deserve not to be slated.

Potter - surely you know what they are all about. We came out slow, indecisive and at times looked arrogant. By the end lacking confidence. Well done for making early subs but would have brought Duffy on for Webster (he would have won a header for a start) and left Trossard instead of bringing on Murray.

Sheffield United - well played. You make it hard for the opposition. Deserved to win.

Christmas party - did we have one this week. Last night?

Agree 100% - many bad performances in a single game, but can’t see how Webster plays next game against a quality attack!

We also looked void of tactics today. Ponderous passing at the back - very nervy and going nowhere. Then nothing in midfield. Why can Trossard do so much as a sub and often so little when he starts?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No.I deny what counts is points on the table.
Football was dog turd under Hughton. You obviously wern't there. I'd gladly take relegation this season. It's what was going to happen if we'd of stuck with Hughton anyway.

The man earned his chance at the next season. Hughton will come back with another side and haunt the Albion.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's obvious why he picks Webster over Duffy. Webster is more useful on the ball.

However his defensive liability is a great concern. He's still young and learning though, so I hope the fans don't get on his back.

This - in abundance today - Webster always needs a sweeper behind him to cover - their goal today was Dunk not getting into that cover position quickly enough with Webster loosing out - I would trust Duffy to win most aerial duels, but not Webster.

So can we not play Duffy at the back in place of Webster and leave him out of the tippy-tappy possession game we so love to play now [in our own half]?

He cost ust the goal today, but so nearly did a repeat - Webster, you are the weakest link, get yourself on the bench ...

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I feel drained after watching that. I’m not sure one single Sheffield United player would get in our team but they were one of the most organised gritty teams I’ve ever seen. They won every 50/50 and we could not work any space against them.

I think they’ll do well this season but not sure they’d be able to keep it up for years at this level.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
For me today was screaming out for creative wingers to play down the sides.
Don’t see the point of bringing on two strikers and playing 3 up front then just pass about in midfield and defence.

2 creative wingers down the flanks, but who do you cross to? Maupay? Whenever Brighton crossed the ball into the box it was easy for SU to clear it.

We do need more pace to stretch teams like SU, but also more creativity is needed when playing through the middle. This is why I thought Alazate should have started.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well we were warned by United fans on their message board.

Pretty much every team they come up against has their 'worst game of the season'. Fact is Sheffield United are so organised they manage to have players up front when they attack and near enough everyone back when they defend.

I'm not convinced we horrendous we were just severely exposed. Wilder knew every weakness, and Webster is a big big weakness at the moment .

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

He doesn’t vote Tory so nothing for you here.

Look out, politics should not be mentioned in other threads, Kraay will be gunning for you. :guns:

Seems if Hughton is judged on this GraPott should be too. When does GraPott take some of the blame for our position in the table?

One performance we were below par, United are not where they are by luck.

It appears you are judging it in a 'we should be beating clubs like Sheff Utd' way.

Patience, will are building for the future, and you need to take off days, every so often.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well we were warned by United fans on their message board.

Pretty much every team they come up against has their 'worst game of the season'. Fact is Sheffield United are so organised they manage to have players up front when they attack and near enough everyone back when they defend.

I'm not convinced we horrendous we were just severely exposed. Wilder knew every weakness, and Webster is a big big weakness at the moment .

Fair comments

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2 creative wingers down the flanks, but who do you cross to? Maupay? Whenever Brighton crossed the ball into the box it was easy for SU to clear it.

We do need more pace to stretch teams like SU, but also more creativity is needed when playing through the middle. This is why I thought Alazate should have started.

This. The Blades giants waited en masse in the box, whilst midgets Maupay and Connolly lurked in vain. There was only ever going to be one winner on aerials.

When Dunk/Webster/Stephens/Burn/Murray came up for set pieces, as per usual, they produced Jack Shite.

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I feel drained after watching that. I’m not sure one single Sheffield United player would get in our team but they were one of the most organised gritty teams I’ve ever seen. They won every 50/50 and we could not work any space against them.

I think they’ll do well this season but not sure they’d be able to keep it up for years at this level.

100% I couldn’t have put it better myself .

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Look out, politics should not be mentioned in other threads, Kraay will be gunning for you. :guns:

One performance we were below par, United are not where they are by luck.

It appears you are judging it in a 'we should be beating clubs like Sheff Utd' way.

Patience, will are building for the future, and you need to take off days, every so often.

1339391274508_6192001.png

So patience with GraPott, no patience for Hughton?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Was bad, but also very easy to see why they are 5th in the league, exceptional defending.
Potter had a sly dig at fans getting impatient at 20 mins first time he's shown any emotion in an interview I think for Brighton!! . I thought of that Swedish interview he did , was it you that posted that ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here