Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Portsmouth *** Official Match Thread ***

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Portsmouth *** Official Match Thread ***

Excellent performance, thought Gross was immense so much went through him. Davy was neat and tidy, but not sure he put in a tackle all evening. Is he on his way?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thought Propper was awful personally and I’m probably one of his bigger fans.

Promising from Molumby, AJ, Mac.

Veltman levels above

Gykores May have something but needs a year in the championship imo.

Bernardo was what we expect, plenty of energy, maybe lacks control.

Stephens did well but we know he’s levels above div 1 opposition.

Gross did ok.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:thumbsup:
Such squad improvement in just 12 months, impressive.

We didn’t just throw all the kids in.
People like Roberts getting a look in is encouraging though... He needs a season out on loan now..... it’ll be at least 2/3 years before he will get a look in with our centre backs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm pretty sure Potter's disappeared up his own backside with that selection.

Molumby at right back? Veltman and Burn at CB? Stephens and Propper getting a run out in defensive midfield together, which is good because it will need two of them to protect that defence minded back 4. Then we come to Gross and Mac Allister playing in the same position, in the same spaces as each other which is good for congestion and then Jahanbakhsh played in a role designed not to get anything out of him and finally Gyokeres. Best of luck to him seeing any of the ball.

I'm sure we'll grind out a win because the opposition is so poor, but that team line up really is remarkable.

Edit I forgot to mention, great to see Steele in goal. Why play Sanchez and try to develop him when we've got a man with no future in the game at all to play instead! Developing those youngsters a treat, well done GP!

Grind? I don’t think so. [emoji23]

Try pummel.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
At the end of the day. It's a good run out for some not starting in first team ..... Even if we could get to final, it will be behind closed doors I reckon.

Besides, Man U will most likely win even if we get past Lawros lads.
Dunno. Man u are in Europe. Could out a few kids out. Might be a good game.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Wasn’t that fun? Nice to see us play properly in a cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Energy SI unit is Joules = Calories. A scientific oxymoron to have high energy anId low calories.
Might as well take an amphetamine!

I once had the same discussion with someone trying to sell me low calorie energy biscuits.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Impressive performance - was Bernardo's goal the first scored by one of our full-backs in a competitive fixture since Pocognoli's free kick at Loftus Road?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Well that was pretty good, chuffed for Ali J, a goal an assist and motm, cant be bad :thumbsup:
Motm for me though was Ale Mac, thought he was outstanding, closely followed by Stephens.
Cant really fault anyone, they all put a shift in.
I understand why people are saying a loan to the Championship will do wonders for Gyokeres but if we dont get anyone in and we are left with him as back up, i felt he had improved immensely since i last saw him against WBA a couple of years ago. I'd still like to see a striker brought in, but i don't feel he is a million miles away.

BrookersLeftFoot

Jan 4, 2020
Portsmouth play in league 1.

Which is the equivalent of the eredivisie.

Fair point... Although that means a league 1 level outfit making the semis of the champions league two years ago is pretty impressive.

And that makes Jahanbahsh being the top of that league for goals and assists the season prior, for a a mid-level club, even more unique.

I reckon if you work out what to do with him (support striker?) you've got a potential superstar on your hands. Though i cant help feeling that out of all the big leagues, the english game is least suited to him.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Really hope we get a striker in so that Gyokeres can head out on loan to a Championship team. Would do his development wonders.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I love the cups and especially love beating Portsmouth.

A lot people wanted us to put the U23s out.

It could’ve been 7 or 8!

Knowing that we’ve got the squad depth to take these competitions seriously really makes me feel very happy.

Preston will be difficult as I’m sure they’ll love to play Manchester United. It’s a challenge I love us to have though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I love the cups and especially love beating Portsmouth.

Preston will be difficult as I’m sure they’ll love to play Manchester United. It’s a challenge I love us to have though.

Deepdale is not a happy hunting ground for Brighton, Let’s hope we can change that next week.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Couldn't follow the game last night, due to being at work.
Now having a break, and what a wonderful surprise of a 4-0 beating of the the tw@ts in the OkeyKoki Cup.
After watching the highlights, I'm thinkng we could so some good with the 11 that played, good job well done.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just watched the highlights. Lovely stuff, couldn't have gone much better. Goals for Ali J, Ally Mac and Gyokeres - probably the three players you'd most want to score - plus a bonus goal from Bernardo.

It's good to see how strong the squad is now. By my reckoning our starting line up had six full internationals in it: two dutch, one Irish, one Swedish, one Argentinian and an Iranian. Yet none of them started against Chelsea.

Also, I don't think there's a player in the club I want to see succeed more than Ali J. Clearly a talented player, great attitude, exemplary English and all round nice guy. History suggests he's not going to get much of a look in but I'd love it if he did and he delivered. Also, for a player who barely plays his Brighton highlights reel is pretty impressive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here