Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Portsmouth *** Official Match Thread ***

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Lovely cross by Alireza and a good headed goal by the young Argentinian. Portsmouth don't look bad to be fair. They could easily get a goal in this but we do look the better team. Shocking miss by Bernado and I was expecting the Gross turn instead of shooting on his weaker foot for his half open goal chance. Seems a similar tale to the Chelsea game in how we're missing all our easy chances. But overall, I think we've played well so far for a 2nd eleven.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just need to read the other posts in the discussion.

If our fans are criticising Stephens goal tally from outside the box, it compares favourably to Propper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was he criticising Stephens' goal tally from outside the box or questioning the commentator's claim that that is a particular strength of his? At least that's how I read it, but then that was my reaction to the comment. I mean, I'm sure if we look back over his career he has scored some from outside the box, but I don't think anyone thinks 'goals from outside the box' when they think stephens.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Avoiding getting injured before his next move seems to be his priority. He is not really getting involved.

Any particular situation where you would have wanted him injured?

I think he wants to be involved, just not sucessfully so far.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Was he criticising Stephens' goal tally from outside the box or questioning the commentator's claim that that is a particular strength of his? At least that's how I read it, but then that was my reaction to the comment. I mean, I'm sure if we look back over his career he has scored some from outside the box, but I don't think anyone thinks 'goals from outside the box' when they think stephens.

Thank you.

It was just proof how much nonsense commentators come out with.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It's funny how everyone sees the game differently. I thought Gross, Stephens, Propper and Ali J all well above Pompey level. Molumby playing well, but I also would prefer him in midfield. Ali Mac pretty much anonymous and bernado needs a kick up the arse...he's better than what he's showing. Gyokores showing some good positional sense, but not showing a killer instinct. I'd like to see if Gwargis and Cochrane can make a fist of it at some point.
Pompey have shown a bit of the Kenny Jacket ethos, but i suppose the difference through the leagues is how often you cock up the chances you're given

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But in that position he is more than capable

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Astonished by the Stephens bashing. Pröpper has been atrocious. He'll be gone by the end of the window.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Harsh, his passes are better and more clever than 90% of the ones our forwards normally make. He may not have pace but he has skill and vision as well as a good shot and cross. He needs game time before we can write him off as a not even a footballer

Better balls than the ones Trossard, Lallana, Gross make or Connelly made V Arsenal? Sure. He’d be better with more pace around him but this idea that he needs more time I’m not so sure. It’s his 3rd season here! We haven’t got time to bed people in if they’re aren’t impacting on PL games. I’m not writing him off as ‘even a footballer’ am I precious.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have no idea.
But Stephens has proven he has a shot in him, and is more likely to find the target than a number of others - Propper being one.

Agree with this, I thought he had quite a few good efforts last season even if he didnt score. Sure he is no Paul Scholes but his touch on the ball when passing & shooting is quite nice. Good player, gets too much shit because he is not young, new and exotic.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wildly varying opinions on this thread - absolute opposite opinions all over the pace. Would be interesting to know which posters are watching on TV/stream, and who is following the match on Brighton commentary or radio 5 live - suspect some different views depend on that.

Apart from good old fashioned immovable prejudices of course!

For example, I switched over from the Albion commentary to Radio 5 at half time; unlike the Albion commentary, they've just said how well Bernardo is playing!

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Agree with this, I thought he had quite a few good efforts last season even if he didnt score. Sure he is no Paul Scholes but his touch on the ball when passing & shooting is quite nice. Good player, gets too much shit because he is not young, new and exotic.

Perhaps, but he’s not good enough for a team (whoever that may be) who want to progressively improve and secure a top 10 finish. He is good enough, as you say, for a team aiming no higher than 15th-16th.

We all know he’s not the future, nor will he get better most likely only worse... Moulmby is a natural successor and one that I think it’s only fair we should be excited about.

And yes, he is most definitely not Paul Scholes ... one of the best central midfielders of his generation ! Akin to comparing Kerry Mayo with Roberto Carlos.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Molumby showing hes a midfielder, absolutely not a player who can play defence.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Perhaps, but he’s not good enough for a team (whoever that may be) who want to progressively improve and secure a top 10 finish. He is good enough, as you say, for a team aiming no higher than 15th-16th.

We all know he’s not the future, nor will he get better most likely only worse... Moulmby is a natural successor and one that I think it’s only fair we should be excited about.

Well said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here