Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

Think some people need a bit of perspective.

It’s going to be a mad transfer window. Potter has a lot of players on contract he probably doesn’t want.

We’ve got 7 points since restart, he’s earned the right to start planning for next season.

Yep tonight was shocking, but he’s entitled to be looking at some of his squad he hasn’t seen much of this year. What better time to do than with no paying fans in the stadium?

Let’s hope performances improved for the final 3 games, as much about preparation for next season as they are about this one.

I agree. Although I anticipated more against Utd............. Liverpool and City? - I mean come on, these are great teams.

Out of are depth tonight and a great effort vs Liverpool, the most worrying thing is the number of really poor individual errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Bernado had a shocker as well. Never closed down the cross once , went missing at full back and seemed to drift aimlessly into a centre half role . Shame as he was looking decent earlier in the season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope, that was a shocking performance, being outclassed I can take but the lack of intent in closing down and the way we accepted losing 50/50 balls was unacceptable.

Read any teams post-match thread after losing big to City and you'll find the same "lack of effort" comments. Odd how every team apparently got no motivation when they play City.

But by all means, I'm open for reasoning with a normally sensible voice like yours. Could you provide me with some examples of situations where players accepted losing 50/50 balls?

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
I wouldn't worry, I don't imagine too many are bothering to watch, or passing much in terms of judgement. The scoreline is so par for the course. When I see another team has lost by around this margin I take one glance at the scoreline and move on to something else
Absolutely this.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Apart from giving Liverpool, champions of England and Europe, a really good game and getting lots of credit for it from pundits, all of 4 days ago?
True enough, but we were still well beaten and you cant call that abomination tonight gutsy in any sense of the word albeit against classy opposition....who have lost 9 times this season, over a quarter of their games.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I generally agree we have improved under Potter. But there's no point approaching the City game playing every so slightly more positively than CH would have had us, if we're going to be twice as worse defensively because of it. Seeing us park 10 men behind the ball would have been no less enjoyable than that and at least would have been a strategy. Not sure at all what the tactics were out there tonight aside from "try your best".

Agree totally. I would actually have preferred it if we'd stuck ten men behind the ball and tried to frustrate them. At least we'd probably stay in the game a lot longer. I really think when we play these sides we should resort to Hughton-esque tactics. Keep it tight, defend like hell, and try to nick one on the counter. Might not be 'pretty', but who cares? Potter seems to think we can play these teams at their own game. We can't. We're not good enough. We were lucky it wasn't double figures tonight.

Keep thinking back to last season's FA Cup match. We restricted them to very few chances and could have nicked a draw. Then Watford played them in the final, tried to take them on, and got absolutely humiliated. What's the point in going down that route?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Read any teams post-match thread after losing big to City and you'll find the same "lack of effort" comments. Odd how every team apparently got no motivation when they play City.

But by all means, I'm open for reasoning with a normally sensible voice like yours. Could you provide me with some examples of situations where players accepted losing 50/50 balls?

I didn’t say there was a lack of effort, we ran about alot but we did not try and close them down with intent. It was almost like we were scared of them, maybe we were :shrug:

I lost count of the number of 50/50s we lost again it almost appeared there was with an acceptance that they were better than us. There are games you need to really have a go at getting “stuck in”. This was one of them and we failed miserably. But that is just my opinion on what I saw, I have no problem with you writing it off as something that happens against class sides.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was an extremely annoying watch. It is bizarre how Liverpool are runaway champions as City, for the third season on a trot, are by far the hardest Premier League team to play against. They are utterly perfect in everything they do. We had a far easier time of it against Liverpool on Wednesday - and that's saying something!

But man alive, that was bad from us tonight. 3 of those goals were preventable (the two Maty/defensive clangers plus the corner). What was more annoying was the set up for me. I generally agree we have improved under Potter. But there's no point approaching the City game playing every so slightly more positively than CH would have had us, if we're going to be twice as worse defensively because of it. Seeing us park 10 men behind the ball would have been no less enjoyable than that and at least would have been a strategy. Not sure at all what the tactics were out there tonight aside from "try your best".

Generally speaking we've had a great restart and hopefully are more than safe. Just very annoying to see our GD advantage over a team like West Ham slashed by 9 in a day, even if it will probably be immaterial in the end.

There are huge differences between ManC and Liverpool. Liverpool’s squad cost many £100m’s less, part funded by ripping off Barca, Palace and Bmuff on player sales. ManC have spent a billion euros of oil money on the best squad ever assembled in the sport, if one player gets injured, a readymade replacement steps in. It’s insane that Liverpool and to a lesser extent Spurs managed to match ManC for a couple of seasons.

Despite their huge advantage over the rest of football (UEFA have now done ManC twice), ManC have lost 9 times this season, but love lesser clubs trying to take them on at their own game, not employing a frustrating block ... step forward BHAFC. Naive.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s done, it happens, we’ve not had it done to us often. They’re world class, they’ve done that to better teams than us, we rested players, we’re as good as safe, we’ve been great overall since lockdown, we have 7 key points, we’re Brighton and Hove Albion man - we’re achieving lots - chins up everyone :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not sure why many are getting their knickers in a twist. City were on form tonight and had the rub of the green, that was a team worth (?) over a billion pounds playing a team worth maybe 100 million, 9 times out of 10 they are going to kick our arses.

We move on and build, safety was this years objective and is almost done, forget City and Liverpool they are lightyears ahead of us.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bernado had a shocker as well. Never closed down the cross once , went missing at full back and seemed to drift aimlessly into a centre half role . Shame as he was looking decent earlier in the season.

Rusty. He's hardly played for months, has he.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here