Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
For all of those Brexiters who voted leave to 'get our country back' (apparently the main reason for voting to leave) what do you make of Noam Chomsky advocating the UK to remain within the EU?

Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned tirelessly for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and is a staunch supporter of democracy and democratic accountability?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
For all of those Brexiters who voted leave to 'get our country back' (apparently the main reason for voting to leave) what do you make of Noam Chomsky advocating the UK to remain within the EU?

Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned tirelessly for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and is a staunch supporter of democracy and democratic accountability?

A. He's foreign.
B. He's an expert.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A. He's foreign.
B. He's an expert.

Sadly I think this is all they will have!

Seriously though someone who has fought against establishment politics and genuine democracy their whole life wouldn't vote for Brexit should quash that reason as justification for leaving!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Probably because there are no Brexit clowns currently vying to be PM, finally some common sense is looking more certain.

Theresa May "Brexit means Brexit and we're going to make a success of it" "no attempt to rejoin by the back door".

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
BBC News: Boeing to create 2,000 new UK jobs in £3bn plane deal
Boeing to create 2,000 new UK jobs in £3bn plane deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36763212

Great news!

Not-so-great news: The President of Airbus Group UK has repeated his warning that the company will have to review future investment in the UK following the referendum result. Airbus employs over 6,000 people at Broughton in Wales.

Don’t buy it myself
It was implied EU nationals would all be going home.
I really don’t think they will especially as any future rights (including our own living in europe) will need to be made on a reciprocal basis with The EU in the negotiations. Cant see them all being wilfully over difficult towards their own citizens.

I don't see how the EU has competency (ie responsibility here); where in the Treaties (law) is your contention?
If you're an EU citizen you have a right to settle, work etc in any member state and that is laid down in the EU Treaties.
If you're not then it's a down to individual member states to decide according to their own national requirements. I can't see anywhere where the EU has a role in determining the latter so, if I am correct, it'll all come down at some point to x27 separate negotiations with the remaining member states; no EU reciprocity as it's not relevant.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Theresa May "Brexit means Brexit and we're going to make a success of it" "no attempt to rejoin by the back door".
There's an interesting reddit question with Noam Chomsky here:

I'm still deciding which way to vote in the EU referendum. I appreciate how Noam Chomsky can deconstruct social concepts and political events so they can be understood more clearly. I emailed him to ask his opinion. His reply is below.

"Haven’t seen any compelling arguments for Brexit, and I suspect it will turn Britain into (even more of) a junior partner of the US. If I were voting, I’d vote to stay in. But without enthusiasm."

Interesting that he sees us becoming more drawn into the USA's sphere but that he would vote remain without enthusiasm. The voting intention comment highlights the major weakness in the remainers campaign. Plenty of intelligent people wished to remain, but they lacked the belief and enthusiasm to convey a positive message. Vote without enthusiasm is such a damning sentiment.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Ah, but she is a remainer, campaigned and voted for remain. May clearly has her head screwed on unlike the other lot!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Do we have the skills in our workforce for these jobs, or do we need highly skilled migrants though?

No doubt there will be some, but this is an industry where we have plenty of expertise, it is also an industry where backhanders and sweeteners are often in the background.
UK government does not just spend £3bn on 9 planes overnight, so this deal was in the pipeline pre brexit, likely the deal was delayed because of Brexit and this maybe was a £2.5Bn deal last month. Only the negotiators will know if this deal got more expensive, required a bigger tax break or some other incentive, or not, but if I was negotiating for Boeing I would think I could get a bit extra out of it with the UK facing some uncertainty.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
With Leadsom's withdrawal the Brexit gang has revealed itself to be the most shambolic set of jokers our proud old country has ever had to endure. To think that about 17m people (minus those who thought it was an X Factor contest between Dave and Boris, those who hate politics and just wanted to stick two fingers up at the bosses and a ramshackle collection of xenophobes cranked up by the tabloids) voted for these stars of the Brexit campaign...

Gove: gone after cynically using Boris who he never trusted anyway
Johnson: stabbed; never wanted to win in the first place
Leadsom: Nasty bit of work who ramped up her own CV

J wept.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Call me cynical, but that could mean "Brexit means negotiate a Brexit position, realise the negotiated deal is a crock of shìt, then hope the LibDems get enough votes at the next elections to force us not to actually invoke clause 50 so we can blame it on them rather than putting the terms to a second referendum"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There's an interesting reddit question with Noam Chomsky here:

I'm still deciding which way to vote in the EU referendum. I appreciate how Noam Chomsky can deconstruct social concepts and political events so they can be understood more clearly. I emailed him to ask his opinion. His reply is below.

"Haven’t seen any compelling arguments for Brexit, and I suspect it will turn Britain into (even more of) a junior partner of the US. If I were voting, I’d vote to stay in. But without enthusiasm."

Interesting that he sees us becoming more drawn into the USA's sphere but that he would vote remain without enthusiasm. The voting intention comment highlights the major weakness in the remainers campaign. Plenty of intelligent people wished to remain, but they lacked the belief and enthusiasm to convey a positive message. Vote without enthusiasm is such a damning sentiment.

Vote without enthusiasm must be what 80% of the electorate do every 5 years.
Voting leave because the Union is not great, is hardly a ringing endorsement for UK independence either.
It is like sitting under a leaky roof and deciding to stand outside in the rain, in the hope that you will be drier.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Call me cynical, but that could mean "Brexit means negotiate a Brexit position, realise the negotiated deal is a crock of shìt, then hope the LibDems get enough votes at the next elections to force us not to actually invoke clause 50 so we can blame it on them rather than putting the terms to a second referendum"

That seems overly cynical as well as inaccurate. What elections are you talking about? there won't be any (unless there is a mass resignation of Labour MPs??) until 2020, and we will be well out of EU by then.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Plenty of intelligent people wished to remain, but they lacked the belief and enthusiasm to convey a positive message. Vote without enthusiasm is such a damning sentiment.

I fundamentally disagree with this. The positive enthusiastic message was everywhere but vast swathes of electorate had their fingers stuffed in their ears, whilst shouting 'I want my country back, I want to control my borders' so much they couldn't hear anything.

All reasoned, sensible and intelligent debate was stiffed on both sides, but particularly by the Brexit lot IMO.

What should be far more damning IMO is someone like Chomsky saying:

Haven’t seen any compelling arguments for Brexit

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That seems overly cynical as well as inaccurate. What elections are you talking about? there won't be any (unless there is a mass resignation of Labour MPs??) until 2020, and we will be well out of EU by then.

You think? Regardless of the current bluster, we are not going to quit until a reasonable deal is on the table. It simply won't happen IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here