Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A lot of people are making some very far-reaching predictions based on 10 days volatility in the market. They might be right. And they might not be.

There was a more reasoned discussion on the market and why it is behaving as it is on the Today programme on Radio 4. Featured two very senior economists. Rupert Harrison thinks the market reaction is basically all to do with the UK decision. Pippa Malmgren (US) sees a range of issues spooking the markets - Brexit, the Italian banking sector, further possible exits from the EU and even China concerns. What both are agreed on is that the political vacuum in the UK needs to be filled soonest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
and 1.15 against the Euro.

The only winners here are exporters of goods from the UK.

In the next few weeks everyone will see;

1) Increase in petrol to around £1.20, and may go even higher
2) Increase in food prices (40% of our food is imported)

The next big thing to happen, with trading on the 3 big property funds halted, is that the London commercial property economoy will crash. A large number of current building schemes will pause, or stop altogether, and start putting people out of work.

When London starts to crumble, the rest of the nation will follow.

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/...evenue-entire-northern-powerhouse-region-1235

You poor delusional brexiteers. I applaud you for your stupidity.
Yep, that'll be me out of a job.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Who cares ? Probably written by an expert and we've had enough of experts.

On the plus side we can now kick out all the eastern European potato pickers. Happy days.

local unemployed British people will be leaping for joy, and leaving the benefit system to snatch those jobs up :smile:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A lot of people are making some very far-reaching predictions based on 10 days volatility in the market. They might be right. And they might not be.

There was a more reasoned discussion on the market and why it is behaving as it is on the Today programme on Radio 4. Featured two very senior economists. Rupert Harrison thinks the market reaction is basically all to do with the UK decision. Pippa Malmgren (US) sees a range of issues spooking the markets - Brexit, the Italian banking sector, further possible exits from the EU and even China concerns. What both are agreed on is that the political vacuum in the UK needs to be filled soonest.

It's almost like some people are hoping/willing it goes tits up to justify their decision.

I remember reading articles last year suggesting the pound was overvalued and that it would or could drop to levels we see now or even lower.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'd class a vote for brexit as little Englanders wanting to regain their borders and stop foreigners,

I know you would,thats what makes you an idiot for describing people as little englanders because they have concerns about immigration,thats why your side lost because you are so far up your own arse of self importance you ignore people saying help.Its also why you lost because whilst you were patting each other on the back saying everything is fine people were saying this EU is not very democratic is it.......but good old you retreated to your ivory tower and decided to call everyone racist that wanted to leave

we have voted to leave the eu

makes you wonder doesnt it if you had not been such a moron

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It's almost like some people are hoping/willing it goes tits up to justify their decision.

I remember reading articles last year suggesting the pound was overvalued and that it would or could drop to levels we see now or even lower.

I dont think ANYBODY wants it go tits up at all. Thats a fairly ridiculous statement. All people want the best for the country. Regardless of this referendum, that has spun the country into an unknown place. With no plan. No leader.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Who cares ? Probably written by an expert and we've had enough of experts.

On the plus side we can now kick out all the eastern European potato pickers. Happy days.

So basically we're f**cked whatever happens.

Vote to leave and half the country talks us into a recession because the financial system is so fragile it starts to collapse even though nothing has happened yet.

Vote to remain and stay on course to be part of an over regulated, protectionist superstate that half the population of Europe don't want to be part of, governed by an unelected committee who view the population with complete disdain.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
While I do not agree with a lot of the arm flailing going on by remainers it really is very short sighted for leavers to just say "you lost accept it". In fact it was the very opposite of that attitude that got you Brexiteers your referendum in the first place. You truly believed the UK needed to leave and you fought for your vote. Well, I and many others truly, deeply, firmly believe we should be in the EU and think that the referendum was a shambles floated on lies and I truly believe we at least need a second referendum.
If leavers really believe their result was a solid, unequivocal victory and people really, when in possession of the full facts would bite the same, what's to lose? I think we all know if we had a second referendum we'd be staying in the EU.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I dont think ANYBODY wants it go tits up at all. Thats a fairly ridiculous statement. All people want the best for the country. Regardless of this referendum, that has spun the country into an unknown place. With no plan. No leader.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Reading through some of these threads I'm not so sure.

Your welcome :D

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I think most people are just looking for some signs that it is a good decision (dare i say it, even looking for a plan). All the Brexit side seem to be doing is crowing about the result, complaining that vast swathes of the country still think remain was the best thing to do and most of all resigning and ducking for cover now that people want some serious answers as to what is going to happen.

Do you Brexiters have any evidence of any signs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Worth a read on the impact that Brexit has had on UK commercial property.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...on-redemptions-echoes-the-start-of-the-finan/

That's just scare mongering by the liberal, pro-remain press who won't focus on positive news. Oh hang on, it's The Daily Telegraph...................................

its people not reading all the way through (after the usual sensationalist start of a media article) and drawing a misguided conclusion. there is a liquidity problem with property funds, and a particular subset at that. at this point there is hasn't been any downturn of property values, but retail investors in property funds have been spooked and looked to exit. these funds cant sell their assets to cover the investors investments, so have to shut the doors. its too early to say what the impact on the actual property sector is.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

spot on
usual suspects will pretend otherwise but still post how screwed we are.......allegedly......they simply cant help themselves with their negative outlook

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
its people not reading all the way through (after the usual sensationalist start of a media article) and drawing a misguided conclusion. there is a liquidity problem with property funds, and a particular subset at that. at this point there is hasn't been any downturn of property values, but retail investors in property funds have been spooked and looked to exit. these funds cant sell their assets to cover the investors investments, so have to shut the doors. its too early to say what the impact on the actual property sector is.

Thats very true - these funds are great if you assume property values increase forever, they are not good if you want your cash out quickly. However, personally think property prices must be due a correction though, especially in London.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think most people are just looking for some signs that it is a good decision (dare i say it, even looking for a plan). All the Brexit side seem to be doing is crowing about the result, complaining that vast swathes of the country still think remain was the best thing to do and most of all resigning and ducking for cover now that people want some serious answers as to what is going to happen.

Do you Brexiters have any evidence of any signs?

Patience it's only been a couple of weeks since the vote! Saying that (from a Brexit perspective) I note all the serious leadership contenders are signed up to ending EU free movement. I also know that at the next general election the UK politicians will have no excuses blaming the EU for their failings re immigration and other matters. Part of 'taking back control' is taking full responsibility and facing the consequences from the UK electorate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ldwide-hunt-for-trade-negotiators-experts-wa/

Hang on, we have had enough of experts, just go and grab a few random ordinary blokes of the street. Now we have our country back these are the people who should be leading these negotiations, not so called experts.

Absolutely. I look forward to Soulman, JC and that bloke Vince form Hull who wanted to build a fence round Scotland negotiating us a sweet WTO compliant trade deal, a points based, capped immigration policy, filling all the minimum wage jobs that don't disappear, shoring up the financial services sector, bolstering the pound, keeping interest rates over 0 and under eye-watering and getting inflation to around 2%, all with the blessing of the EU. Off you go chaps, We need these experts about as much as we need the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here