Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It still amazes me how people could vote leave for something they had no idea what the outcome of that vote would be. At least a remain vote meant the status quo would be maintained.
That is total bollox - and to be fair, the Remain campaign never actually said it. The EU is not, never was and never will be, a static organisation. Nobody knows what ideas they will come up with next (and any powers of veto we might have had would be severely eroded by a vote to meekly accept remaining in the EU). So for anyone accusing Brexiters of voting with no idea of the outcome should first remove the plank from their own eyes; they didn't have a clue what the outcome of remain would be either.

Yeah we did. We knew it would than remain would mean stability. We also knew we had a opt-out from every closer union and a referendum guarantee on any new power transferred to Brussels.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you know I didn't but Mark Carney isn't too happy with what's going on and that worries me.

thats the same Mark Carney that has all but promised a cut in interest rates, thereby putting downward pressure on the £? i understand his reasoning, he also knows of the consequences and has weighed up a slightly weaker £ is actually OK on balance. he could have held off for a month or until there was some indication from a new PM on new fiscal policy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Such a scattergun of half-baked economic theories.

Weaker pound = more competetive exports = boost to UK producers.

BUT weaker pound = higher oil prices = higher fuel costs = higher distribution costs + more expensive imports + less confidence in UK economy = BoE intervention

Any when we're finally divorced from the EU probably higher tariffs on exports negating any competitive gain from lower pound

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Here we go again. How many times have w heard this argument in the past week?
Controlled immigration was one of the key elements of the BREXIT campaign. It one was one of the factors in the BREXIT win (some would argue that it was the only factor). It's inconceivable that the UK negotiating position would not include controlled immigration.

Really? 48% voted to keep the status quo, at least 3% or 4% of the leave voters must have been not bothered by immigration, so I would argue that there is no clear mandate to end free movement of people in Europe.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
really? 48% voted to keep the status quo, at least 3% or 4% of the leave voters must have been not bothered by immigration, so i would argue that there is no clear mandate to end free movement of people in europe.

exactly.

not to mention this government was elected twice on reducing immigration (from outside the EU) and never did...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Really? 48% voted to keep the status quo, at least 3% or 4% of the leave voters must have been not bothered by immigration, so I would argue that there is no clear mandate to end free movement of people in Europe.

i award you Master Of Clutching At Straws

16straw.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
They can and they did. Then they lost - just because you (and they) don't like the democratic result, doesn't give you (or them) the right to ignore it. The people / democracy has spoken.

No, you will find they didn't, and they can't under law. Just stating the facts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here