Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

You don't quote the rest of the speech

"....This land of such dear souls, this dear dear land,
Dear for her reputation through the world,
Is now leased out, I die pronouncing it,
Like to a tenement or pelting farm:
England, bound in with the triumphant sea
Whose rocky shore beats back the envious siege
Of watery Neptune, is now bound in with shame,
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds:
That England, that was wont to conquer others,
Hath made a shameful conquest of itself."

In fact. what Gaunt is saying is that Richard has made a right pig's ear of managing England. He chooses to believe flatterers rather than experts on running the country and is suffering a financial crisis of his own making.

You may want to draw contemporary parallels, I couldn't possibly comment

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It isnt a case of France sending people here, they are just going to stop stopping them trying to get here.
Why are you still arguing? You must realise your point is mad? I don't care what France say, they came from France, they go back to France. France have a responsibility to control who goes through their borders. I don't imagine France will want to just keep sending them back and forth, that would just lead to the borders being closed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You wouldn't blame a neighbouring country for trying to sneak their immigrants across a border to their neighbours? I guess you have questionable morals.
I wouldn't expect the drawbridge to shut with the EU anyway :shrug:
Good.

Oh no, how will we ever recover from our leaders not knowing what to do for a few months :rolleyes:
That makes no sense.
No need for that if we still have open borders. Not all of our neighbours love the EU either.
For a short time, yes, that's inevitable.
Oh god no, please tell me they're not laughing at us :eek: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, let me change my vote!
That's an unfortunate result of the immigration problem the whole of Europe are facing.
I understand that many Brits who rely on benefits in the EU have already been made to feel quite unwelcome.
I don't think that will be the case long term.
So you've taken account of improved exports have you?

It's far too early to know exactly what will happen.

So - no identifiable gains then? That's good - you've made a convincing and coherent counter-case and completely shredded arguments. I'll retrospectively switch my vote too!
Seriously - you surely cannot be pleased with the way things are panning out. Don't you feel just a little uncomfortable? Did you really want this? Many who voted Brexit didn't. Fair play to you if you did - but the balance sheet looks pretty lop-sided to me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surprised by the amount of stupidity being showcased in this thread. You'll notice, however, that the people who voted leave are generally also the people with no grasp of spelling let alone any sort of punctuation. This isn't a coincidence.

That's a sweeping generalisation and comes across as yet another 'all leavers are thick' PoV...........similar I guess to something like 'all remainers are coming across as extremely bitter and twisted, and have resorted to personally insulting anyone (the majority of those who voted) who disagrees with their view', which patently isn't true either but there is a hell of a lot of it about.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A lot of the reports are pure fantasy.I've already reported one to the police for racial incitement and hope they are prosecuted just as thoroughly as any real cases are.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36634786

Since the EU referendum results revealed the UK voted to leave, people have been compiling reports of racism on social media.
A number of incidents where people have experienced hostility because of the colour of the skin and their ethnic background have been shared online.

I'm sure you'll get a number of leave supporters saying that it is all okay. I am frankly just stunned and ashamed that these people are from the same country as me. If the country is overcrowded, can't we just get rid of the bigoted and racist people instead of immigrants, who mostly offer something to this country (not hate and bigotry).

Like it or not, if you voted leave, that is the sort of person you were agreeing with, however you might try to claim it is not racist.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously - you surely cannot be pleased with the way things are panning out.
Actually I am, so far.
Don't you feel just a little uncomfortable? Did you really want this?
If you thought there wouldn't be uncertainty in the markets upon leaving (and I don't mean you personally), then you didn't think about it much. I am of course concerned, because I don't know that our country will be better off as a result of all this, but I still hope it will.

Many who voted Brexit didn't. Fair play to you if you did - but the balance sheet looks pretty lop-sided to me.
In what way? Of course we could have a difficult few years.

Remainers told me the only way to make the EU reform was to remain. Are you still sure about that?

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
If someone is thick enough to believe that voting for Brexit is a simple solution to their racist gripes (NB, I'm only talking about one group within the Brexit camp, before people get their hackles up), then they are probably also thick enough to believe that Brexit success means that their nasty views have somehow been endorsed.

To be fair the racists aren't often from the brightest gene pools so maybe they do believe it

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A lot of the reports are pure fantasy.I've already reported one to the police for racial incitement and hope they are prosecuted just as thoroughly as any real cases are.

If ever I needed proof of my other comment, this is it. How do you know the reports are pure fantasy. Were you there when they all happened? Whether you like it or not, the disgraceful campaign run by leave has led to people thinking racist abuse (both on and offline) is somehow okay.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Over 100 incidents being investigated by Police.

But if you read some of the posts under the referendum thread all out voters are not racist or stupid.

Both can't be correct given the 'I voted out so go now'

Although I was firmly in the 'Remain' camp, I have spent a lot of time defending many folk who voted leave from such demeaning accusations. I'll continue to do so.

Many in the 'Remain' camp claim that all folk should be treated as individuals and we should avoid sweeping and collective slurs against cultures, races and other sets of folk within society.

I would hope, through the bitterness of defeat (and I'm bitter about it) people maintain the dignity and appropriateness of their overall view of humanity.

Rally against those who do who say such awful things, but the furthering of such anger towards those there is no evidence against is political point scoring and most divisive.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
It isnt a case of France sending people here, they are just going to stop stopping them trying to get here.

Now that could be true. Maybe we will end up with Ferryloads of migrants aimlessly sailing round in circles in the Channel with no port to dock in, like a larger nautical version of the Tom Hanks film 'The Terminal'.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surprised by the amount of stupidity being showcased in this thread. You'll notice, however, that the people who voted leave are generally also the people with no grasp of spelling let alone any sort of punctuation. This isn't a coincidence.

And the people who voted Leave won,you bitter and twisted loser.It's your type of elitism that infuriated people so much they voted to leave,in part just to wipe the smug smile off your type's face.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There's nothing stopping you buying British made goods.

The reason why people don't buy them is that they are of a higher quality, or lower price, or a combination of both, from overseas.

I agree entirely, and this is what needs to be addressed. Not for everything but surely there are significant areas where the UK can produce goods and be competitive in the market.

We have stickers everywhere over here encouraging people to buy Australian made and grown goods instead of cheaper imports. People do to support Australian workers.

Surely no-one is suggesting that UK manufacturing cannot be expanded and improved?

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree entirely, and this is what needs to be addressed

The solution is to convert the UK into a high skilled, high wage, high productivity country by (IMO) investing in education, apprenticeships, management skills using the best people available.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And the people who voted Leave won,you bitter and twisted loser.It's your type of elitism that infuriated people so much they voted to leave,in part just to wipe the smug smile off your type's face.

If that is the case, then frankly they shouldn't have a vote. I voted in this country's best interests in my opinion. If anyone voted for the reason you put above, they really need to take a long hard look at themselves as it is pathetic. I know you can't judge everyone by their posts on here but I've never noticed your posts much before and now you seem really aggressive and rude.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The solution is to convert the UK into a high skilled, high wage, high productivity country by (IMO) investing in education, apprenticeships, management skills using the best people available.

Sounds like a plan to me. Question is why hasn't this been done before?

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I'm sure you'll get a number of leave supporters saying that it is all okay. I am frankly just stunned and ashamed that these people are from the same country as me. If the country is overcrowded, can't we just get rid of the bigoted and racist people instead of immigrants, who mostly offer something to this country (not hate and bigotry).

Like it or not, if you voted leave, that is the sort of person you were agreeing with, however you might try to claim it is not racist.

So your solution is to invoke some type of ethnic cleansing operation? You see those narrow minded racists that also voted remain, that is the sort of person you were agreeing with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here