Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You are right on this part, the trouble is when you have politicians who are so pro EU and fail to recognise the problems within the EU, there is never going to be any fundamental change. They don't have to live with the decisions.

It is really quite simple, if I don't get the reforms I want I will just have to vote for UKIP in the next GE.

Can I also add, business has a massive part to play in this. Take for example a supplier, instead of rushing to China why can't the government invest a bit of money in manufacturing companies and look at getting products manufactured here. There are not enough of these types of jobs anymore, which is why people are feeling left out.

You'd like more manufacturing jobs in the UK? Good. So would I. Unfortunately you have just voted for exactly the opposite. Consider this from Patrick Minford, leading figure in the exclusive (ie small) Economists for Brexit group. He wants a clean break from the single market and and the abandonment of tariffs. He added: "Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing. But this shouldn't scare us."

Well it scares me and it might scare some of the poor saps who voted for team Brexit. Perhaps it doesn't scare you and it sure as heck doesn't scare Cardiff-based academics sitting in their Dingbat Ivory Towers.

Just about the only policies these scallywags had was to slice immigration and spend £350m a week or something on the NHS. Daniel Hannan now says the first was a bit of a misunderstanding and IDS says, yup, the NHS claim was a bit untrue.

Gee whizz.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
That's been her position since before she became leader - that's always her parties position, same old shit.
That's just silly. I can't see how the EU will allow a slice of the UK to be in the EU.
Hardly a plan, just a tough question she was thrown in an interview.
Just as London MPs have a mandate from Londoners to stay in the EU.

Because her waters haven't been muddied - she wants out of the UK and in the EU - that hasn't changed. The problem in Westminster is that the majority of MPs want to be in the EU, but the people have just said they want out. That's a real mess. Normally an MP says what they want, and if they get in power, you've given them a mandate to do what they said. The opposite has just happened - they're in power but we've told them we want them to do something they're totally against. Sturgeon is simply in a much easier position on pushing for what she wants.

Agree with this and whilst all the criticism has been at Boris for using the process to enhance his position as PM it is amazing Sturgeon has ducked criticism with her continued 'if we all don't agree with them we will get another referendum' nonsense

Cannot help but think there may have been a lot of tactical voting in Scotland by independence supporters looking for another crack at the whip

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But send them back where?

France could just turn around and say no thank you.
You're just being silly. France don't get that choice, the people arrived from France. It's just the same if you get on a plane to the US and turn up without a passport (or one with a dodgy photo on, as a friend found out) they will send you back. Not their problem what happens to you next, they simply won't allow you in. If France choose to deliberately let people over, we just stick them on the return trip. Up to France what they do next, but I suggest that just trying to keep sending them to us won't work.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
UKIP are going to clean up at the next General Election if Boris backtracks on immigration.

They will wipe out Labour in the NE, NW and Midlands and take lots of seats from the Tories in Kent, Essex and the suburbs of London.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Pound now down to 1.32 against the dollar, predicted to fall further.

And in the meantime, FTSE 250 down about 5.2% and falling.
Dear oh dear, this is really going to take some sorting out and uncertainty will abound for God knows how long, whatever the gung-ho Brexit camp say.
Plenty of pension pot holders will not be happy bunnies and before a Brexiter says to me, all will recover and our economy will be stronger than ever.............how the f--k do you know and how long is it going to f-----g take?
Will we look back and say, was it all worth it????:nono:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1. The French will soon be waving the residents of the Calais 'jungle' straight onto the ferries (can't say as I'd blame them)
You wouldn't blame a neighbouring country for trying to sneak their immigrants across a border to their neighbours? I guess you have questionable morals.
With a 2 year (or more) continued window for free movement within EU (of which we'll still be a member), there will surely be an increase in intra-EU migration as they get in before the drawbridge is slammed shut.
I wouldn't expect the drawbridge to shut with the EU anyway :shrug:
Any longer term deal between UK and EU will almost certainly allow for some degree of movement - or we'll lose any hope of accessing the single market.
Good.

So the strategic geniuses who sit behind Brexit will have achieved

a) short term economic (and political) melt-down
Oh no, how will we ever recover from our leaders not knowing what to do for a few months :rolleyes:
b) increased immigration (at least in the short term)
That makes no sense.
c) alienation of most of our previous EU partners
No need for that if we still have open borders. Not all of our neighbours love the EU either.
d) total confusion or at least uncertainty for business
For a short time, yes, that's inevitable.
e) reducing the UK to a laughing stock (I guess that's what they meant by putting the great back in Britain?)
Oh god no, please tell me they're not laughing at us :eek: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, let me change my vote!
f) fear and anxiety of EU migrants currently living in and contributing to the UK
That's an unfortunate result of the immigration problem the whole of Europe are facing.
g) ditto for Brits retired to the EU
I understand that many Brits who rely on benefits in the EU have already been made to feel quite unwelcome.
h) loss of jobs
I don't think that will be the case long term.
i) increased inflation (import prices)
So you've taken account of improved exports have you?

Can anyone explain quite what we have gained
It's far too early to know exactly what will happen.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dear oh dear, this is really going to take some sorting out and uncertainty will abound for God knows how long, whatever the gung-ho Brexit camp say.
Plenty of pension pot holders will not be happy bunnies and before a Brexiter says to me, all will recover and our economy will be stronger than ever.............how the f--k do you know and how long is it going to f-----g take?

As I said in another thread:

FTSE250 was 12000 in 2008, 6000 in 2009 and has climbed steadily since then. Now stands at 15,500, which again is in line with value in February 2016. #dontpanic

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Jeez, it's only been a few days and you are wetting yourself.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
'Go back home' - Bitter backlash post EU referendum

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36634786

Since the EU referendum results revealed the UK voted to leave, people have been compiling reports of racism on social media.
A number of incidents where people have experienced hostility because of the colour of the skin and their ethnic background have been shared online.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You're just being silly. France don't get that choice, the people arrived from France. It's just the same if you get on a plane to the US and turn up without a passport (or one with a dodgy photo on, as a friend found out) they will send you back. Not their problem what happens to you next, they simply won't allow you in. If France choose to deliberately let people over, we just stick them on the return trip. Up to France what they do next, but I suggest that just trying to keep sending them to us won't work.

Not really, if our boarder was pushed back to Dover that check would be done here and not in France.

That is all well and good, but they don't have a French passport, so again where would we send them back to?

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
So the £5bn rebate has strings attached and we must only spend it on what the EU says.
On this basis a fact in your world would include the fact that the cat did jump over the moon.

You are right of course about the rebate and none of these figures are precise but the £19-20billion figure is what the UK as a whole is estimated to have contributed to the EU in 2015, this includes the government 'membership fee' of around £13billion. It is generally accepted that we got back £8.5billion less than the £13billion we contributed. No-one really knows exactly how much we will save in terms of contributions once we leave the EU but it will be significant billions of pounds. Irrespective of the figures I would rather see those billions invested in the UK (yes even including Scotland whilst it remains!) rather than subsidies for French farmers, an industrial park building program in Spain, a road improvement scheme in Slovakia or any number of similar EU projects that have no impact on Britain.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The problem that Sturgeon has is that without the UK being in the EU it is unlikely that the EU could afford another low key country joining. Scotland is hardly the wealthiest of nations taking into account the low levels of oil revenue that they can now expect.

You can't go abusing people in the street over a political matter. If people are getting abuse through their nationality on the streets of Britain, then we are down a dark path indeed, and it needs condemning on every level.
Absolutely agree, I was just mentioning that the so called lower skilled workers are not all racists. I have worked in the construction industry for 25 years and have always had great relationships with people from all over Europe.

I find the worst culprits for rascism are the Romanians who seem to hate everyone and are openly hostile to any of my fellow workers who are black.

These racists abusing foreigners has sadly gone on for years and the fact it is being reported now is due to it being a stick to bash the leavers a bit more.

In my local area on Sunday the smart people had a meet and greet with vote leavers and local working Polish. Very friendly and jovial . It was not posted on Facebook or Twitter it just happened in real life.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Jeez, it's only been a few days and you are wetting yourself.

Anyone with any sense has every right to be wetting themselves. The UK is going to be a lot poorer for many years. Maybe, some time in the future, things will recover - but we're probably talking a minimum of 5 years, potentially several decades. These sort of shocks take a long time to sort out even when you have reasonably united political leadership. And, of course, we don't have that luxury.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really, if our boarder was pushed back to Dover that check would be done here and not in France.
Exactly the same as in the US. A friend went on holiday there - when he landed, they looked at his photo, it wasn't laminated, so they ripped it out of his passport and handed it back to him. He was sent on the next flight back to the UK.

We do the checks at border control - if someone doesn't have the required documents, we send them back where they came from. This isn't new, it's how it's always been.

That is all well and good, but they don't have a French passport, so again where would we send them back to?
France. It's not our problem that they don't have a French passport, they came from France, we send them back to France. Just like if a Mexican crossed the border to the US without a passport, they'd be sent back to Mexico, even if they don't have a Mexican passport.

What do you think every other country in the world does? We don't just have to accept people without passports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here