Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Government are going for it!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-applies-to-join-huge-pacific-free-trade-area-cptpp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As previously mentioned this was obviously the aim, Japan and others are keen for us to be a part of it. Didnt think the process would start this quickly though.
Good news, doubt even the hardcore remoaners will grumble.

A big trading bloc, what a novel idea. I got the impression people were against that kind of thing

:ffsparr:

You really are showing yourself up as next level stupid with that comment.
You havnt understood a single thing from the last few years have you.

Jan 30, 2008
I'm sorry to point this out but I think you may have posted the wrong video. This one is mainly about the problems exporters are having as a result of Brexit.

It does then go on to talk about new doors having opened for trade with the US and Canada but as everyone knows that no new doors have opened this must surely be some sort of complicated spoof.
No one's locked them and only time will tell, look on the bright side of life for once
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Global Britain :thumbsup:

In the EU or out of the EU we've always been global Britain

Now, where are we at with the 16% of the UK economy with no proper trading arrangement? ie export of services to the EU

Or maybe you guys get back to the EU vaccine thread. Seems the noisy NSC 19 absent on this thread for years have come out fighting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 48

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sorry to point this out but I think you may have posted the wrong video. This one is mainly about the problems exporters are having as a result of Brexit.

It does then go on to talk about new doors having opened for trade with the US and Canada but as everyone knows that no new doors have opened this must surely be some sort of complicated spoof.

The Cheshire Cheese Company that is going to find new overseas markets overnight?

Not really, investing £1m in France instead

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...er-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

They already get it, still in denial

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What did the government's economic impact study of joining this say? What's the benefit?

Joining the CPTPP would deepen the UK’s access to fast-growing markets and major economies, including Mexico, Malaysia and Vietnam, for the benefit of UK business.

Joining the £9 trillion partnership will cut tariffs for UK industries including food and drink, and cars, while also creating new opportunities for modern industries like tech and services, ultimately supporting and creating high-value jobs across the UK. Unlike EU membership, joining does not require the UK to cede control over our laws, borders, or money.

UK trade with the group was worth £111 billion last year, growing by 8% a year since 2016. Benefits that CPTPP membership will bring for businesses include:

Modern digital trade rules that allow data to flow freely between members, remove unnecessary barriers for businesses, and protect commercial source code and encryption.
Eliminating tariffs quicker on UK exports including whisky (down from 165% to 0% in Malaysia) and cars (reducing to 0% in Canada by 2022, two years earlier than through the UK-Canada trade deal).
Rules of Origin that allow content from any country within CPTPP to count as ‘originating’. For example, this would mean that cars made in the UK could use more Japanese-originating car parts, such as batteries.
Easier travel for businesspeople between CPTPP countries, such as the potential for faster and cheaper visas.

Joining CPTPP will create enormous opportunities for UK businesses that simply weren’t there as part of the EU and deepen our ties with some of the fastest-growing markets in the world.

It will mean lower tariffs for car manufacturers and whisky producers, and better access for our brilliant services providers, delivering quality jobs and greater prosperity for people here at home.

We’re at the front of the queue and look forward to starting formal negotiations in the coming months.

The UK will publish its negotiation objectives, scoping analysis, and consultation response in advance of negotiations expected to start this Spring.

CPTPP membership is a key part of the Government’s plan to position the UK at the centre of a network of modern free trade deals that support jobs and drive economic growth at home.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As previously mentioned this was obviously the aim, Japan and others are keen for us to be a part of it. Didnt think the process would start this quickly though.
Good news, doubt even the hardcore remoaners will grumble.

:ffsparr:

It certainly is good news that we are starting negotiations with the 6th biggest trading bloc based on the other side of the world. I'm a little surprised that you think waiting over a year after we left the largest trading bloc to begin the application is quick :facepalm:

Given China and the US are members, expect a long, somewhat challenging negotiation for a minor economic nation.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Joining the CPTPP would deepen the UK’s access to fast-growing markets and major economies, including Mexico, Malaysia and Vietnam, for the benefit of UK business.

Joining the £9 trillion partnership will cut tariffs for UK industries including food and drink, and cars, while also creating new opportunities for modern industries like tech and services, ultimately supporting and creating high-value jobs across the UK. Unlike EU membership, joining does not require the UK to cede control over our laws, borders, or money.

UK trade with the group was worth £111 billion last year, growing by 8% a year since 2016. Benefits that CPTPP membership will bring for businesses include:

Modern digital trade rules that allow data to flow freely between members, remove unnecessary barriers for businesses, and protect commercial source code and encryption.
Eliminating tariffs quicker on UK exports including whisky (down from 165% to 0% in Malaysia) and cars (reducing to 0% in Canada by 2022, two years earlier than through the UK-Canada trade deal).
Rules of Origin that allow content from any country within CPTPP to count as ‘originating’. For example, this would mean that cars made in the UK could use more Japanese-originating car parts, such as batteries.
Easier travel for businesspeople between CPTPP countries, such as the potential for faster and cheaper visas.

Joining CPTPP will create enormous opportunities for UK businesses that simply weren’t there as part of the EU and deepen our ties with some of the fastest-growing markets in the world.

It will mean lower tariffs for car manufacturers and whisky producers, and better access for our brilliant services providers, delivering quality jobs and greater prosperity for people here at home.

We’re at the front of the queue and look forward to starting formal negotiations in the coming months.

The UK will publish its negotiation objectives, scoping analysis, and consultation response in advance of negotiations expected to start this Spring.

CPTPP membership is a key part of the Government’s plan to position the UK at the centre of a network of modern free trade deals that support jobs and drive economic growth at home.

Very good, but what you've copied and pasted there is the Government's press release. What was asked for was the government's economic impact study of joining ?

To start celebrating something because Johnson's Government says it will be brilliant, when you have absolutely no idea of the details or impact, could prove to be less than wise, don't you think :wink:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's been a tough week for the #teameu crew ..

hqdefault.jpg

... keep on fighting chaps!

But not as tough as it's been for companies actually trying to keep the UK's economy going and it's workers employed

Cornish exporters 'struggling' to get goods like meat and fish into EU since Brexit signing

Cornish companies are reportedly struggling to get goods like meat and fish into Europe since the Brexit deal was signed.Cornwall Chamber of Commerce says some are reporting long delays or even being refused entry.

It is promising to hold the government to account, warning that red tape, extra costs and a lack of support are causing chaos.There are fears that EU firms could look elsewhere for supplies if local exporters give up.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/cornish-exporters-struggling-to-get-goods-like-meat-and-fish-into-eu-since-brexit-signing/ar-BB1dfND3?ocid=mailsignout

You do realise these problems aren't going to go away. This is the actual reality of your long awaited 'Good Deal' :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Very good, but what you've copied and pasted there is the Government's press release. What was asked for was the government's economic impact study of joining ?

To start celebrating something because Johnson's Government says it will be brilliant, when you have no idea of the details or impact could prove to be less than wise, don't you think :wink:

At no point have I celebrated this application, just reporting what’s on the web [emoji6]

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
UK imports from Vietnam £4,326 million
UK exports to Vietnam £612 million

Who will be the biggest winner in a trade deal?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm more than a little surprised that you are a little surprised at the time frame as you often mentioned how replacing all the deals we had with third countries while in the EU would take years to sort out ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trad...reements-that-took-effect-from-1-january-2021

And a year after we left the world's largest trading bloc, we still have a long way to go to simply get back to where we were, before actually taking up any of Brexit's 'new opportunities' .

The EU has 44 preferential trade agreements in place with individual states or regional trading blocs, covering 77 countries in total. More are in the pipeline: Brussels is negotiating with Australia and New Zealand and has struck a deal with the South American Mercosur bloc that is awaiting ratification.*

They are a subset of the 750 agreements the EU has negotiated with other governments around the world — covering everything from trade to fishing fights and co-operation in handling dangerous nuclear materials.

Ms Truss argues that the UK has been highly successful in rolling over the EU trade agreements, effectively copying their terms so they apply to Britain after Brexit; the government says it has signed or agreed in principle trade deals with 52 countries, with those trading relationships cumulatively worth £146bn a year in 2019.

https://www.ft.com/content/054bbead-3580-4ad7-b89f-144d518ab96a

I have to say, my confidence in Liz Truss's ability to copy and paste has gone up markedly :eek:

*edit*

Can I change that to my confidence in Liz Truss to copy and paste without huge numbers of dreadful cock ups has been slightly surprising.

Brexit: £100,000 of tariffs slapped on Fairtrade bananas from Africa threatening farmers with ruin

At least £100,000 of tariffs have been slapped on Fairtrade bananas from Africa because of Brexit, prompting mounting anger that farmers face ruin. Ministers are under pressure to explain why the levies are being charged, despite an announcement that a last-gasp deal was struck between the UK and Ghana on New Year’s Eve.

Both banana exporters in the developing country and UK shipping firms are losing money on deliveries – £20,000 a week, says one company – while the crisis continues. Before Christmas, ministers rejected calls for transitional measures to prevent tariffs, as talks with Ghana on a “rollover” of an existing EU trade agreement went down to the wire.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-tariffs-bananas-africa-farmers-b1791225.html

:down:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone know when we get to vote in the CPTPP elections? After all, wouldn't want to be joining something which impinges on our national sovereignty in an undemocratic way, would we?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And a year after we left the world's largest trading bloc, we still have a long way to go to simply get back to where we were, before actually taking up any of Brexit's 'new opportunities' .

The EU has 44 preferential trade agreements in place with individual states or regional trading blocs, covering 77 countries in total. More are in the pipeline: Brussels is negotiating with Australia and New Zealand and has struck a deal with the South American Mercosur bloc that is awaiting ratification.*

They are a subset of the 750 agreements the EU has negotiated with other governments around the world — covering everything from trade to fishing fights and co-operation in handling dangerous nuclear materials.

Ms Truss argues that the UK has been highly successful in rolling over the EU trade agreements, effectively copying their terms so they apply to Britain after Brexit; the government says it has signed or agreed in principle trade deals with 52 countries, with those trading relationships cumulatively worth £146bn a year in 2019.

Britain set to fall short in race to replace EU trade deals

I have to say, my confidence in Liz Truss's ability to copy and paste has gone up markedly :eek:

That article from last year is already out of date as we have signed trade deals/agreements with Canada and Singapore but the point was the timeframe has been much quicker than you originally thought. But, instead of trying to find negatives, I think we can all broadly agree applying to join CPTPP is a positive move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here