Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That article from last year is already out of date as we have signed trade deals/agreements with Canada and Singapore but the point was the timeframe has been much quicker than you originally thought. But, instead of trying to find negatives, I think we can all broadly agree applying to join CPTPP is a positive move.

And complete f***ed up the Ghana roll over (if you see the edit above :facepalm:)

I don't think anyone would deny that starting negotiations with CPTPP is a positive move. I don't understand why we have waited over a year to start and with the US and China being members, and their histories of protectionism, I can't see anything being agreed quickly. Particularly when our economy desperately needs a boost immediately to cover our daily export losses :shrug:

But definitely a positive move.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Anyone know when we get to vote in the CPTPP elections? After all, wouldn't want to be joining something which impinges on our national sovereignty in an undemocratic way, would we?

Anyone know if people running CPTPP can install a hard border in Northern Ireland without consulting the Irish or UK Governments?

As others have alluded to, pretending Eu membership is exactly the same as joining a trade partnership is beyond stupid.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And complete f***ed up the Ghana roll over (if you see the edit above :facepalm:)

I don't think anyone would deny that starting negotiations with CPTPP is a positive move. I don't understand why we have waited over a year to start, particularly given that US and China are members, so I can't see anything being agreed quickly. Particularly when our economy desperately needs a boost immediately to cover our daily export losses :shrug:

But definitely a positive move.

The US and China aren't members so hopefully quicker than you predict :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The US and China aren't members so hopefully quicker than you predict :)

You're absolutely correct. I was mixing up my CPTPP with my APEC (my geography is not good and they're both in the same directionish), hence why I said about trading the largest economic bloc for the 6th biggest trading bloc in the world in my earlier post.

CPTPP aren't even close to the top 10, but on the plus side, we don't have to worry about the US and China yet :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone know if people running CPTPP can install a hard border in Northern Ireland without consulting the Irish or UK Governments?

As others have alluded to, pretending Eu membership is exactly the same as joining a trade partnership is beyond stupid.

Think it's a bit late for you to start worrying about Irish Borders :lolol:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Just so we're all clear on the blueprint for UK. We exit our nearest and biggest trading bloc, where we had a frictionless trade and impose trading barriers upon ourselves, replacing previous beneficial trading conditions with inferior ones, then join a new bloc with countries thousands of miles away where we have a big trade deficit?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If only there was a massive trading bloc nearer to home with who we already do 75% of our export business which we could join...

Not a lot I can do about that I’m afraid, apparently a majority of those who could vote and actually turned out told the government they wanted out of that one [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So the conclusion is no government assessments have not carried out an economic impact study on a CPTPP deal.

Why not?

Instead a lot of waffle from gov.uk website (thanks wikipedia)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyone know when we get to vote in the CPTPP elections? After all, wouldn't want to be joining something which impinges on our national sovereignty in an undemocratic way, would we?

What about WTO elections, I assume our representation is proportionate to size like MEP's in Brussels right?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So the conclusion is no government assessments have not carried out an economic impact study on a CPTPP deal.

Why not?

Instead a lot of waffle from gov.uk website (thanks wikipedia)

So the conclusion is you wait for WZ to answer for you then about 2 days later you pop back up, you sure you’re not one of WZ’s alternative accounts, he seems to answer a lot for you[emoji6]

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Not a lot I can do about that I’m afraid, apparently a majority of those who could vote and actually turned out told the government they wanted out of that one [emoji6]

That was EU membership, I think to be consistent about trade surely you would have preferred a Norway style Brexit deal? Not being funny it was barely a month ago you were pining for a no deal

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That was EU membership, I think to be consistent about trade surely you would have preferred a Norway style Brexit deal? Not being funny it was barely a month ago you were pining for a no deal

Careful now Randy me old china, you’ll need to show some evidence of me ever “pining for a no deal” if you can fair play, if you can’t be bothered WZ will do the data trawl for you [emoji6]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So what about EFTA? I assume you're ignoring that because it's actually a harder point for you to argue despite EFTA being a more similar setup?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Great. So when's the referendum on joining CPTPP?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could you explain why we need one?

Apparently a referendum result is sacrosanct when taking actions such as joining or leaving trading blocs so I naturally assumed there would be one for joining CPTPP. But still it's good to know when the time comes we can rejoin EFTA (and possibly the full EU) without one.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Apparently a referendum result is sacrosanct when taking actions such as joining or leaving trading blocs so I naturally assumed there would be one for joining CPTPP. But still it's good to know when the time comes we can rejoin EFTA (and possibly the full EU) without one.

Sorry to have to have to correct you but the vote was only for EU membership.

A soft Brexit which meant staying in the CU and SIngle market would have been truer to the mandate

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we need to take stock

So as a third country what is the net gain of deals done so far compared with being a member of the EU?

Anything of significance yet to offset our exports in goods to the EU crashing by 30% in the first month of sunny uplands?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here