Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And if your head wasn't so firmly stuck where the sun don't shine,you would have read about the EU using many of their branded,disinfected,treated pallets to export their goods to us,leaving us with a massive stock of them.This leaves us a choice of burning them,or using them to re-export our goods.These pallets are not one-time use.Perhaps if you had ever worked in logistics,you might know as much as you make out you do.

That's a fair point, after all we'll have nothing to export so we might just have enough stock of pallets to cover the last of our production. :dunce:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a fair point, after all we'll have nothing to export so we might just have enough stock of pallets to cover the last of our production. :dunce:

Not true.

When three of your British Pounds is worth one Euro, they'll be buying up crates of single malt, cheddar cheese, Harris tweed and Kendall mint cake by the truck load*

*if they can find a truck with a permit to cross to Europe.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

I daresay we could sell a few container-ship loads of pallets back to the EU,if we could find a container-ship built to EU standards,instead of normal ones!Otherwise,there's a lot of wasted space around their little pallets.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not true.

When three of your British Pounds is worth one Euro, they'll be buying up crates of single malt, cheddar cheese, Harris tweed and Kendall mint cake by the truck load*

I'm sure there will be plenty of empty Spanish,Polish,and Bulgarian trucks heading back into the Evil Empire.Perhaps they would like to top up their cash jobs with non-refugees?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I'm reassured in the knowledge my MP will still be suckling at her putrefied septic teet, right up until the moment he has to nuzzle into her replacement.

The man has all the backbone of a squid with a taste for blancmange.

Sounds like Tim Loughton you are describing there

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With a somewhat annoying surround finally here is last weeks LWT.
The Brexit segment starts at 7:50.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds like Tim Loughton you are describing there
Nope and we could be here for a while as you guess the name of my spineless Tory backbencher.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
BrExit - the countdown to 11PM GMT on Friday 29th of March 2019

Bakerlite's " On our Way " tagline is looking ever more forlorn.

I remain (pardon the pun)optimistic.
908bd793784fbc25a050fe567a9d6f35.jpg

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I daresay we could sell a few container-ship loads of pallets back to the EU,if we could find a container-ship built to EU standards,instead of normal ones!Otherwise,there's a lot of wasted space around their little pallets.

Is that because they don't allow bendy ships?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Is that because they don't allow bendy ships?

They did try an experiment to convert a container ship to EU specifications,but it wasn't a great success.

sinking eu ship.png

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well if we need a certain pallet specification, there will be someone in the UK able to offer it. That's good for all pallet business.

The Pallet industry reckoned they did not have enough capable suppliers of Pallets of this type back in October 2018, they will of course also cost more to produce and each time a pallet is re used, it must have the old marks removed, be heat treated and stamped again.

From a trade site, "While in their report, DEFRA were sure that there are enough facilities in the UK who have the correct equipment to provide heat treated pallets, the members of NAPD weren’t so sure." https://www.universalpallets.com/2018/10/pallet-requirements-event-no-deal-brexit/

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Not true.

Ridiculous, the French would never eat Kendal Mint Cake..

D

Deleted member 22389

The Pallet industry reckoned they did not have enough capable suppliers of Pallets of this type back in October 2018, they will of course also cost more to produce and each time a pallet is re used, it must have the old marks removed, be heat treated and stamped again.

From a trade site, "While in their report, DEFRA were sure that there are enough facilities in the UK who have the correct equipment to provide heat treated pallets, the members of NAPD weren’t so sure." https://www.universalpallets.com/2018/10/pallet-requirements-event-no-deal-brexit/

Thanks for the info. I have found some pallet providers who do heat treatment (ISPM 15) which is an international standard and accepted by the EU. On the one hand it's probably a pain for some businesses, on the other it could generate new business for pallet companies in the UK, or it might be the case business will still be allowed to use existing Euro pallets, who is really going to check.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

This only applies to wooden pallets,of course.They do come in alternative materials.And a search on Google reveals :

htp.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And if your head wasn't so firmly stuck where the sun don't shine,you would have read about the EU using many of their branded,disinfected,treated pallets to export their goods to us,leaving us with a massive stock of them.This leaves us a choice of burning them,or using them to re-export our goods.These pallets are not one-time use.Perhaps if you had ever worked in logistics,you might know as much as you make out you do.

I'm going to take one last run at this (please note the lack of personal insults).

This news isn't talking about the half sized 'Euro Pallet'.

This concerns all pallets entering the EU from a non EU country.
Those pallets have to be correctly heat treated for pests and the such like.

The pallets we currently send to the EU and they send to us, irrespective of size, at the moment don't have to conform to this extra procedure because they are all traveling around the EU.

After Brexit, with no specific deal on pallets, only EU specific pallets (not Euro pallets) will be allowed to enter the EU.

Which is one of the bazillion reasons every single item entering and leaving the UK will have to be checked at the border.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who knew pallets could be so fascinating :lol:

This has grown enormously to the extent that Cheps now owns 150 million pallets and 30 million crates. ''The world of pallets is not mundane - it is an exciting hi-tech business in terms of provision of services,'' claimed Sir David Lees, GKN chairman, who will retain that position until 2004

What times kick off!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You know when you leave a room for a few weeks and then come back in only to find the same few people in there having the same conversation over and over.

This thread is how Theresa May must feel.

(and no, I have no sympathy for her.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You know when you leave a room for a few weeks and then come back in only to find the same few people in there having the same conversation over and over.

This thread is how Theresa May must feel.

(and no, I have no sympathy for her.)

She is the one who saying the same thing day in and day out whilst pretending to listen and have new ideas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here