Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Really, you think the EU is xenophobic!!!!
Absolutely. That example shows xenophobia towards Poland. If I were able to overrule a French government decision, many people would consider that I was xenophobic against France as I have no right to meddle in its democratically elected government's affairs.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. That example shows xenophobia towards Poland. If I were able to overrule a French government decision, many people would consider that I was xenophobic against France as I have no right to meddle in its democratically elected government's affairs.

So, the EU, representing 27 other countries, has got it in just for the Poles! Nothing to do with the fact that the current Polish government may be breaking EU rules of membership hence the threat to withdraw their voting rights.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So, the EU, representing 27 other countries, has got it in just for the Poles! Nothing to do with the fact that the current Polish government may be breaking EU rules of membership hence the threat to withdraw their voting rights.
Xenophobic does NOT specify one country. It can be a dislike of many. I do not think the EU is picking on Poland particularly, however it (the EU) is xenophobic to the people of countries who act in a way that it does not approve of. The EU, in my opinion, has no respect whatsoever for democracy in this kind of case and resents that a nation should assert itself and act in this way.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Can you doubt the great man.

Dalai Lama Thinks Europe Has Let In 'Too Many' Refugees

Mainz, Germany — The Dalai Lama thinks Europe has let in "too many" refugees.

The Tibetan spiritual leader said that "we feel the misery" of each individual refugee and that humans have a "responsibility to help" — but that there are "too many" who have been accepted in Europe.

"Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country. Germany is Germany," he laughed in an interview published Tuesday with Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper. "There are so many."

The Dalai Lama said that "from a moral standpoint" he thinks refugees should "only be accommodated temporarily" — with the goal of them returning home to rebuild their countries.

Germany took in over 1 million refugees last year from war-torn countries such as Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan over the past year.
The influx of migrants and refugees has led to a spike in anti-foreigner sentiment in Germany.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Really, you think the EU is xenophobic!!!!

You are ignoring the jambon in the baguette...........what is the democratic legitimacy of the EU in this case?

Many of the remainders on this thread have suggested there are no material sovereignty issues for the UK in the EU and yet here is an example of the power the EU has to subordinate and penalise democratically elected Governments.

The truth is that there is no justification.........membership of the EU is an effective coup d'etat..........to quote Tony Benn.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can you doubt the great man.

Dalai Lama Thinks Europe Has Let In 'Too Many' Refugees

Mainz, Germany — The Dalai Lama thinks Europe has let in "too many" refugees.

The Tibetan spiritual leader said that "we feel the misery" of each individual refugee and that humans have a "responsibility to help" — but that there are "too many" who have been accepted in Europe.

"Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country. Germany is Germany," he laughed in an interview published Tuesday with Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper. "There are so many."

The Dalai Lama said that "from a moral standpoint" he thinks refugees should "only be accommodated temporarily" — with the goal of them returning home to rebuild their countries.

Germany took in over 1 million refugees last year from war-torn countries such as Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan over the past year.
The influx of migrants and refugees has led to a spike in anti-foreigner sentiment in Germany.
The Dalai Lama is correct.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There COULD be quite a few Remainers on here that will have their conscience pricking....... do i go against the great man or do i keep spouting on that the level of immigration is needed blah de blah de blah....... :)
True. Unfortunately many people who argue in favour of immigration argue in the most emotive terms, and without consideration as to whether the immigrant is simply an economic traveller or someone fleeing in distress.

Clearly those in Germany, well many were fleeing Syrians. I have an enormous amount of sympathy for them. But surely it would have been a better option for them to have received sanctuary from Muslim countries? There are after all 50 countries with a Muslim majority. It's weird that those countries don't seem to want to help.

Merkel thrust Germany into a terrible position, I really hope I'm wrong about the possible repercussions, but she has altered the constitution of that country greatly with her folly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are ignoring the jambon in the baguette...........what is the democratic legitimacy of the EU in this case?

Many of the remainders on this thread have suggested there are no material sovereignty issues for the UK in the EU and yet here is an example of the power the EU has to subordinate and penalise democratically elected Governments.

The truth is that there is no justification.........membership of the EU is an effective coup d'etat..........to quote Tony Benn.

Of course there is justification for an investigation. The Polish government are seemingly interferring with the countries judiciary, it's state broadcaster and who knows what else. Poland signed up to the EU so if you don't follow the rules then why can't the EU withdraw their voting rights? How would you feel if Cameron decided to disband the supreme court and take control of their rulings himself. What if he sacked all the managers and programme makers at the BBC and put Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove in charge of all content and on the basis that not one programme can question government policy. What if Cameron got rid of the working directive and minimum wages. Who is going to challenge that?

The EU aren't saying that the Poles can't do what they are doing, they are just saying if you do and you are in breach of rules then you lose the right to vote alongside those other countries that are playing it fair.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Of course there is justification for an investigation. The Polish government are seemingly interferring with the countries judiciary, it's state broadcaster and who knows what else. Poland signed up to the EU so if you don't follow the rules then why can't the EU withdraw their voting rights? How would you feel if Cameron decided to disband the supreme court and take control of their rulings himself. What if he sacked all the managers and programme makers at the BBC and put Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove in charge of all content and on the basis that not one programme can question government policy. What if Cameron got rid of the working directive and minimum wages. Who is going to challenge that?

The EU aren't saying that the Poles can't do what they are doing, they are just saying if you do and you are in breach of rules then you lose the right to vote alongside those other countries that are playing it fair.
It should not be a matter for the EU. If Cameron did everything you suggested then I would expect a revolution here from the British people.

I'm beginning to believe the real little Englanders are those that want the EU to take or approve all our decisions for us.

We need to grow up as a country again and act with confidence in our future. Cameron and Corbyn (where has he been hiding?) do not have any confidence in our country and should never lead us if we leave the EU.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There COULD be quite a few Remainers on here that will have their conscience pricking....... do i go against the great man or do i keep spouting on that the level of immigration is needed blah de blah de blah....... :)

I think we're talking about two different issues. The Dalai Lama is referring to mass migration from the Middle East, mainly fleeing ISIS and the wars in Syria, Iraq, etc. We granted just under 14,000 asylum applications in 2015, and we agreed to take 1,000 Syrian refugees (yes - one thousand). We've opted out of various agreements to take larger numbers of asylum seekers from the likes of Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Dalai Lama is NOT talking about immigration into the UK from France, Germany, Poland, etc.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think we're talking about two different issues. The Dalai Lama is referring to mass migration from the Middle East, mainly fleeing ISIS and the wars in Syria, Iraq, etc. We granted just under 14,000 asylum applications in 2015, and we agreed to take 1,000 Syrian refugees (yes - one thousand). We've opted out of various agreements to take larger numbers of asylum seekers from the likes of Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Dalai Lama is NOT talking about immigration into the UK from France, Germany, Poland, etc.

Well thanks for letting me know, i never realised that was the crux of his speech.........................

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
whats really galling are those still wanting the immigration debate silenced

75% of the country want immigration reduced
the subject is always in the top 5 concerns regarding Europe
Its a very important issue.

You want to Remain and not discuss immigration,you consider it an issue for the far right and xenophobes.

For years in this country this very same thinking was peddled and would not allow the subject to even be discussed without shouts of racists,xenophobes and far right loons.
Until of course this thinking led to a backlash and people said enough is enough,step forward a few years and realise that mind set contributed to the rise in UKIP and the reason we now have a referendum.

So whilst it makes you feel uncomfortable and perhaps even "triggered",all i can say is thanks for your contribution to getting a referendum but tough crap,you should have thought about that earlier.
Suck it up,the immigration question is now here front and centre to stay.......there are no more "safe space" hiding places left for you to ignore the issue.

Just for the record, I don't want the immigration debate silenced - it's an important issue. But it has become Brexit's ONLY argument. We desperately need the debate to be across a range of issues. For example, what opportunity will today's children and young adults have to live and work in the EU? I have no idea. One of my daughters is studying Modern Languages at University, and is hoping to work in France or Spain....but if we Vote Leave she may not be able to. This is just one issue - pertinent for me, but maybe not for everyone.....but it's an example of a practical issue that the Brexit camp can't (or won't) address. There are countless others (probably far more important).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here