Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Because you should have seen it as one of the possible outcomes. If you voted leave, there was no promise of what the future relationship would look like. It is not as if Norway was never mentioned by any leave campaigner.
There will be those amongst the leave vote that did not only see it as a possibility, but expected a Norway type resolution as Dan Hannan consistently portrayed. There is no clear mandate for anything more drastic, but it could happen, because, far from taking back control, the EU will decide to a large extent what is an available option, and what is not.

The fifth largest economy in the world, we should have no fear in negotiations.He who pays the piper calls the tunes and the outflow of money to Europe is more than the incoming. Its not us that should be worried. The Europeans are our friends and allies, but their sense of democracy is not the same as ours.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Can't remember that on the ballot paper. No one voted to leave the Single Market. If that's what the vote was about it should have said that on the ballot paper.

A consequence of voting leave = ending membership of the single market was clearly stated, many times during the campaign, by numerous main players on both sides of the argument ... PM, Chancellor, Gove, Boris the EU. Even by you.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The fifth largest economy in the world, we should have no fear in negotiations.He who pays the piper calls the tunes and the outflow of money to Europe is more than the incoming. Its not us that should be worried. The Europeans are our friends and allies, but their sense of democracy is not the same as ours.

I think the EU's biggest gripe is they would lose their major donor, hence looking to play hardball

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Can't remember that on the ballot paper. No one voted to leave the Single Market. If that's what the vote was about it should have said that on the ballot paper.

This post is literally pitiful , you're actually trying to say that people voted to leave the EU but thought we would be guaranteed to be staying in the single mkt ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A consequence of voting leave = ending membership of the single market was clearly stated, many times during the campaign, by numerous main players on both sides of the argument ... PM, Chancellor, Gove, Boris the EU. Even by you.

Everyone seems to have known this except a small % of remain voters.....namely the remoaners.
Begs the question why were they not paying attention and why are they now claiming they didnt know?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Everyone seems to have known this except a small % of remain voters.....namely the remoaners.
Begs the question why were they not paying attention and why are they now claiming they didnt know?

One of the (dubious) joys of these many Brexit threads is having the chance to read what people were saying before the vote. Jim in the West clearly knew Brexit meant leaving the Single Market. As I recall he also mentioned the fact the Leave side were not in a position to set out a specific definitive exit plan (impossible to achieve anyway they weren't a government in waiting) would give some on his side ample oppurtunity to cause mischief if they lost.

Which he is currently doing.

:rolleyes:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was paying attention and i was fully aware of what i was voting for.... "OUT" !!!! no ifs no buts "OUT" and not the watered down version that is being sold to us . the choice was perfectly clear..either you are in or you are out and not once was anything else put on the table prior or during the referendum..

I am sorry, I know you think you understood, but this is why you get labelled thick, because you didn't understand, and you still don't. There is no Leave manifesto setting out what would happen.
Here is an article from April, by a pro leave writer, criticising a pro remain writer, for his criticism of leave campaigner, Dan Hannan.
https://medium.com/@WhiteWednesday/niall-ferguson-and-his-hannan-paradox-c69d93b4e72e#.fh4u14pmn

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Suddenly you are a fan of edited video clips, as long as they don't show leave campaigners saying we could be like Norway.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
:lolol:
But we didn't know what we were voting for. you couldn't make it up:facepalm:

You could not possibly know what you were voting for, as what you will get as a result of your vote is still not determined, what we will even be asking for is still not determined. Understand?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And if we were all paying attention .. cease to be members of the Single market.

That is what some of the leave campaigners were promoting, not all. It is what David Cameron and some other remain campaigners were warning against as a possible or even probable consequence of leaving the EU, but I thought you all had that down as project fear nonsense?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You could not possibly know what you were voting for, as what you will get as a result of your vote is still not determined, what we will even be asking for is still not determined. Understand?
And of course, all remainers knew exactly what the EU's unelected masters in Brussels would decide to do next, so knew exactly what they were voting for. Yeh, right........

Or was it a case of - dare one suggest it - 'Remain means Remain'? No plan, no policies, no guarantees of what might or might not transpire in years to come of course - just 'Remain means remain'.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That is what some of the leave campaigners were promoting, not all. It is what David Cameron and some other remain campaigners were warning against as a possible or even probable consequence of leaving the EU, but I thought you all had that down as project fear nonsense?

You mean the ones who were most likely to be in a place to actually make the decisions? Not possible or probable a certainty. For me Brexit meant it was always inevitable, as was ending free movement, exiting the customs union. It seems a bit silly and underhand to try and conveniantly ignore the main reasons why the majoriy voted the way they did. Respecting the result? Taking back control re Soverignity,Laws, immigration, money, trade deals etc. All incompatible with retaining single market membership,free movement, customs union etc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Suddenly you are a fan of edited video clips, as long as they don't show leave campaigners saying we could be like Norway.

Here you go then, just for you the whole debate/broadcast unedited.......same outcome oddly enough.
And no one from the Leave side was in the broadcast, why would they or Norway be included in the video?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And of course, all remainers knew exactly what the EU's unelected masters in Brussels would decide to do next, so knew exactly what they were voting for. Yeh, right........

Or was it a case of - dare one suggest it - 'Remain means Remain'? No plan, no policies, no guarantees of what might or might not transpire in years to come of course - just 'Remain means remain'.

If anything major were to come up, it is in law that we would hold a referendum. It was also part of Daves renegotiation that Britain was exempt from ever closer Union, without detriment. So there were guarantees that if anything involving closer Union, joining the Euro, joining the Schengen area were desired by a future UK Government, or pressed for by the EU, we would have a referendum to decide.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You mean the ones who were most likely to be in a place to actually make the decisions? Not possible or probable a certainty. For me Brexit meant it was always inevitable, as was ending free movement, exiting the customs union. It seems a bit silly and underhand to try and conveniantly ignore the main reasons why the majoriy voted the way they did. Respecting the result? Taking back control re Soverignity,Laws, immigration, money, trade deals etc. All incompatible with retaining single market membership,free movement, customs union etc.

I know thats what it meant for you, but it didn't mean that for all, ask Dan Hannan.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I know thats what it meant for you, but it didn't mean that for all, ask Dan Hannan.

I'm not claiming unanimity of opinion just the main reasons why most people voted leave (Backed up by polling evidence). As 'most' people voting remain voted for economic reasons.

If a majority had voted remain I would not still be expecting free movement to end!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here