Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If anything major were to come up, it is in law that we would hold a referendum.

No, it as an act of UK parliament requiring that no further powers are transferred to the EU without a referendum.

Blimey, perhaps we should have a referendum on whether we should have referendums or not?

Seriously, do you really think the European Union Act would be any less a house of cards than Call-me-Dave' unwritten agreements? "I have in my hand a piece of paper, signed by the German Chancellor......."

Now, where have I heard that before........

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
We know exactly what our ability to trade in the EU would be if we had a remain result, we know exactly what our rights to live and work in the EU would be, we know exactly what our employment rights would be, etc.

Do we f*ck, know what it would be like. The euro encase you hadn't noticed is in a complete mess which means that the UK in some form or another are going to be left to pick up the pieces, ,this when the UK debt is increasing at a rate of no tomorrow..

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You have caught me out, I apologise. I should have phrased more carefully, Dan Hannan consistently has advocated doing a deal that involves full access to the single market or something very close to full access, even if that means free movement of people as Norway and Switzerland have, you will not find him advocating getting a shitty deal just to control borders.

He is definitely a cake and eat it`er when it comes to trade.
He doesnt advocate full free movement of people in the EU sense though, you have misunderstood him again.

He is pro having the right to take up a job offer if you can present a contract of employment.
He does not believe in the sort of free movement to travel as unemployed and seek employment when you get there or the changes under maastricht that permitted the freedom to go and live, vote, and claim welfare in another member state.
His version is far far removed from the free movement we have today.

You do seem rather obsessed with Hannan, you mention him time and again.
Must be disappointing to know he is saying nothing you think he is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Typical leftie, I asked you. You google it.

And I am asking you, if you have a point to make, make it, or don't, but I won't be searching the internet trying to guess what you are talking about.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Do we f*ck, know what it would be like. The euro encase you hadn't noticed is in a complete mess which means that the UK in some form or another are going to be left to pick up the pieces, ,this when the UK debt is increasing at a rate of no tomorrow..

We are excluded from bailouts of eurozone countries as part of Daves renegotiation, well we would have been if we had voted remain, but if it comes up right now, I guess we might be on the hook.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He is definitely a cake and eat it`er when it comes to trade.
He doesnt advocate full free movement of people in the EU sense though, you have misunderstood him again.

He is pro having the right to take up a job offer if you can present a contract of employment.
He does not believe in the sort of free movement to travel as unemployed and seek employment when you get there or the changes under maastricht that permitted the freedom to go and live, vote, and claim welfare in another member state.
His version is far far removed from the free movement we have today.

You do seem rather obsessed with Hannan, you mention him time and again.
Must be disappointing to know he is saying nothing you think he is.

I would have stopped mentioning him a long time ago, if you guys did not all keep insisting that a Norway or Swiss type arrangement was never an option put forward by anyone advocating a leave vote.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
We are excluded from bailouts of eurozone countries as part of Daves renegotiation, well we would have been if we had voted remain, but if it comes up right now, I guess we might be on the hook.

Had a feeling that you would come back with that which is why i said in some form or another.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I would have stopped mentioning him a long time ago, if you guys did not all keep insisting that a Norway or Swiss type arrangement was never an option put forward by anyone advocating a leave vote.

who are all the people on here that insisted it was never put forward? are you sure you havnt made that up?

i seem to remember, as im sure most of the leavers on here will remember that the Norway Swiss option was mentioned in the early days,especially when remain were insisting these and a couple of others were the only options available.
But these were quickly dismissed as unworkable in UK terms and the debate quickly moved on to a bespoke UK option .......a red white and blue option so to speak.

Certainly dont remember anyone on here insisting it was never mentioned

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
But these were quickly dismissed as unworkable in UK terms

Just out of interest, who dismissed the Norwegian option as unworkable in UK terms and on what grounds?

On a more general point, forgive me, but you do have a tendency to present your own opinions as statements of undeniable fact that only an imbecile would dispute. On recent pages this has manifested itself in the claim that Leavers, pretty well to a man, knew that they were voting for an end to our current membership of and access to the single market. They knew this, apparently, because Leave campaigner after Leave campaigner made it perfectly clear that that voting their way would see it happen.

It's just not true is it? Whichever way people voted, they voted for different reasons, good and bad. In the case of Leave these would have included Giving a Billion Bucks a Month to the NHS and Keeping the Turks Out. After all, these and others were benefits constantly conveyed by the Leave side, more energetically I submit than the one involving the European single market. And many of the reasons for voting Leave were far more visceral and emotional than you allow for.

At the weekend I read this from professional Yorkshireman Michael Parkinson. He's not a politician but I'd guess he understands coalfield sentiments better than we do. “If you want to know why Brexit happened, go to Barnsley. It’s desperate. I remember this vigorous, extraordinary place full of hard-working men and women, full of music and brass bands. Now it’s a wasteland.”

Who's to blame such people for voting Brexit? Their complaints are heartfelt and genuine and deserve to be dealt with but surely it's opportunistic to claim they revolve round the nuances of Britain's international trading relationships?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
who are all the people on here that insisted it was never put forward? are you sure you havnt made that up?

i seem to remember, as im sure most of the leavers on here will remember that the Norway Swiss option was mentioned in the early days,especially when remain were insisting these and a couple of others were the only options available.
But these were quickly dismissed as unworkable in UK terms and the debate quickly moved on to a bespoke UK option .......a red white and blue option so to speak.

Certainly dont remember anyone on here insisting it was never mentioned

Only mentioned in the early days? are you sure you haven't made that up?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Just out of interest, who dismissed the Norwegian option as unworkable in UK terms and on what grounds?

On a more general point, forgive me, but you do have a tendency to present your own opinions as statements of undeniable fact that only an imbecile would dispute. On recent pages this has manifested itself in the claim that Leavers, pretty well to a man, knew that they were voting for an end to our current membership of and access to the single market. They knew this, apparently, because Leave campaigner after Leave campaigner made it perfectly clear that that voting their way would see it happen.

It's just not true is it? Whichever way people voted, they voted for different reasons, good and bad. In the case of Leave these would have included Giving a Billion Bucks a Month to the NHS and Keeping the Turks Out. After all, these and others were benefits constantly conveyed by the Leave side, more energetically I submit than the one involving the European single market. And many of the reasons for voting Leave were far more visceral and emotional than you allow for.

At the weekend I read this from professional Yorkshireman Michael Parkinson. He's not a politician but I'd guess he understands coalfield sentiments better than we do. “If you want to know why Brexit happened, go to Barnsley. It’s desperate. I remember this vigorous, extraordinary place full of hard-working men and women, full of music and brass bands. Now it’s a wasteland.”

Who's to blame such people for voting Brexit? Their complaints are heartfelt and genuine and deserve to be dealt with but surely it's opportunistic to claim they revolve round the nuances of Britain's international trading relationships?

I do not get this we all voted for different reasons b*llocks. the choice presented was perfectly clear, either you were in or you were out.

Just another pathetic attempt to try and kick Brexit in to the long grass. get over yourselves.. .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

It's just not true is it?

well it is true.
We did know voting to leave The EU meant ending membership of the single market.
Your own remain side knew this as well,they actively campaigned saying it was a bad idea.

why didnt you know what your own side were saying?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here