Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking the bank for a player would have been better than this.

Pavilionaire said:
When Albion managers start talking more about the money than on-field performances it usually means they're not long for the job.

LI, I believe McGhee IS burnt out, and not just because of one comment. I believe this latest story, coupled with his verbal jousting with fans, shows his frustration at the limitations imposed on him.

That's funny, I distinctly remember Kinky telling us that he had the safest job in the league! :lolol:

Well, I have an alternative explanation to yours - that he is aware that a very sizable minority of the Albion fan base are now blaming him for everything that has gone wrong at the club. That alas wasn't the case a year ago when he could stay quiet about the financial restrictions on him.

Fans are demanding constant action being taken to improve the squad. McGhee has to level with the fans now at every turn what is realistic and what isn't.

I think that's a shame - he should be trusted to just get on with his job without having the media in his face every 5 seconds. But the weight of criticism of him means that is now no longer possible - he has to make fans aware of the options open to him.

McGhee is one of toughest hombres in football. He will fight his corner to the end and he doesn't know the meaning of burnt out.

In the next few months, there is usually an opportunity for fans to address him face to face at some fans forum or other, there were 2 last summer I remember. I invite you to put your points to his face - you will get the true measure of the man and you will judge for yourself whether his passion for the job is gone! Rather you than me, fella :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
LI: In a thread back in August, you said you believed that performances were more important than results during the early weeks of the season.

Do you still believe that to be true?

Dies Irae said:
Yes Steve, I only mnissed one game there. Did you get a chance to mosey along down to Priestfield?
No I didn't - London Irish played always on a Saturday back then.

What I don't want is the opportunity to go there in future seasons thanks to irresponsible idiots not respecting the terms of our planning permission at Withdean.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
:lolol: What are you blathering on about? How many f***ing times have I answered this question on this thread! 12 times, 13 times?

Yes, I do feel the defeat against Reading second game up in the season was less important than the ones against Southampton a couple of weeks ago and the Wendys on Monday! IS THAT PLAIN ENOUGH FOR YOU! The first one was an early season result, the second ones SENT US DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop getting aggressive, no need to swear now is there.

Both defeats were costly, but we should be looking to pick points up from every game we take part in, rather than dangerously targetting games and then saying others do not matter.

Uncle Buck said:
Stop getting aggressive, no need to swear now is there.
Sorry Aunt Jemimah, such coarse language must be a shock to your delicate ears.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
That's funny, I distinctly remember Kinky telling us that he had the safest job in the league! :lolol:

Well, I have an alternative explanation to yours - that he is aware that a very sizable minority of the Albion fan base are now blaming him for everything that has gone wrong at the club. That alas wasn't the case a year ago when he could stay quiet about the financial restrictions on him.

Fans are demanding constant action being taken to improve the squad. McGhee has to level with the fans now at every turn what is realistic and what isn't.

I think that's a shame - he should be trusted to just get on with his job without having the media in his face every 5 seconds. But the weight of criticism of him means that is now no longer possible - he has to make fans aware of the options open to him.

McGhee is one of toughest hombres in football. He will fight his corner to the end and he doesn't know the meaning of burnt out.

In the next few months, there is usually an opportunity for fans to address him face to face at some fans forum or other, there were 2 last summer I remember. I invite you to put your points to his face - you will get the true measure of the man and you will judge for yourself whether his passion for the job is gone! Rather you than me, fella :lolol:

A sizeable minority?

WTF is a sizable minority?

On here it appears to be about 50/50 and we represent what about 20% of the Albion support, which equates to 7000 x 20% = 1400 and half of that is 700 . Quite a "sizable " minority then Steve:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think MM has actually got away with it pretty light considering some of the decisions he has made this year. I am sure the Millwall /Reading/Wolves fans were not that generous

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

But then having failed this season to do his job (he has taken us down), people are going to be less trusting of him.

The Laughing Bluebird said:
LI: In a thread back in August, you said you believed that performances were more important than results during the early weeks of the season.

Do you still believe that to be true?

Ah Jayzus :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
No I didn't - London Irish played always on a Saturday back then.

What I don't want is the opportunity to go there in future seasons thanks to irresponsible idiots not respecting the terms of our planning permission at Withdean.

How very public spirited of you Steve.

Just exactly how long have you supported us Steve, out of interest?

Why did you not go to Priestfield?

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Dies Irae said:

I think MM has actually got away with it pretty light considering some of the decisions he has made this year. I am sure the Millwall /Reading/Wolves fans were not that generous

Something to do with the large number of happy clappy fans at the Albion.

Dies Irae said:
A sizeable minority?

WTF is a sizable minority?

On here it appears to be about 50/50 and we represent what about 20% of the Albion support, which equates to 7000 x 20% = 1400 and half of that is 700 . Quite a "sizable " minority then Steve:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you are saying the McGhee critics are only 700 strong, I won't argue with you too much, I would say they are a bit more than that though :) but still a minority however you guesstimate it.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
This thread has been reasonably sensible by recent standards, but that sort of post drags it down and to an extent has the look of somebody in a corner reverting to aggressive and bully tactics, that is all.

Do you ever object to posts that swear at me, Mr Double Standards?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I dont know....on Monday, there was hardly a whimper went up at the final whistle and the Southampton game it was only a few having a pop at MM

I think you can tell more by listening to people coming out of the game

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
This thread has been reasonably sensible by recent standards, but that sort of post drags it down and to an extent has the look of somebody in a corner reverting to aggressive and bully tactics, that is all.

I have to agree. You have to admit that is the sort of thing you have criticised me for in the past LI.

Uncle Buck said:
I personally try not to descend into swearing matches, it happens, but the nature of this thread was not like that, until your post.

Just on this thread it seemed out of place.

You've just completely avoided the question I asked. So I'll ask it again.

You saw fit to hold me to standards of language. When people who agree with your anti-McGhee views swear at me, do you ever say to them it is out of order?

Les Biehn said:
I have to agree. You have to admit that is the sort of thing you have criticised me for in the past LI.

Were you really offended that I used the word "f***ing", Les?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here