Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News - Danny Cullip currently in transfer talks....

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If DC is going to leave for no money at the end of next season then Im happy to get some cash for him now.

Mcghee is no mug and will get a more than able replacement. DC has not been that good this season, fact!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I honestly don't think Leicester can afford him. They can afford his wages but not a trandfer fee. They would be sniffing around if he was out of contract but I can't belive they will pay money for him. He won;t be cheap either. He was easily the best central defender in the league last season. He may also be put off by what has happened to Brooker? Anyone remember him?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think people are living in dreamland when it comes to Cullip's value.

He is a defender who will turn 28 shortly after the beginning of next season who has spent all but one season (and that was a relegation season) of his career in the lower leagues and lacks pace. He has one year left on his existing contract.

In today's transfer market he will probably be worth £100-150k. Certainly nowhere near the £500k - £1m that some have speculated about.

The thing is, to the Albion, he is worth much, much more than that. He is our talisman, and inspirational leader, the heart of our team. He optimises everything that we all love about the Albion, and everything we've all been through. He has been the heart of our team for 5 years now - averaging nearly 44 games a season.

I think he'd leave the Albion with a heavy heart, but I think he would leave if a bigger/better offer came along. He wants to find out how far he can go and he has a young family to support. The Albion without Cullip would not be the same for a while, but a new hero will be along - this is football, right? I'd wish him all the best wherever he went and always want him to do well.

But, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Albion Dan said:
DC has not been that good this season, fact!

Sorry Dan I don't agree with you there. I think he's been MOM in a number of games this season.

I agree with the view that we wouldn't probably get much of a fee in these "transfer depressed" times.

In which case I'd be happy to hold on to him for his final year.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lammy said:
I honestly don't think Leicester can afford him. They can afford his wages but not a trandfer fee. They would be sniffing around if he was out of contract but I can't belive they will pay money for him. He won;t be cheap either. He was easily the best central defender in the league last season. He may also be put off by what has happened to Brooker? Anyone remember him?

Adams has been given an extra Million for squad building

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
First things first, It wont be a swap deal with Benjamin. He is on Stupid money. If I remember rightly Izzet, Benjamin, Elliott and Matt Jones made up 40% of Leicester's wage bill last year. On loan last year we paid no more than 20% of Tricky Trev's wages.

As for the rumour, well it certainly has credibility. Adam's has watched us at least half a dozen times and I'm not convinced it is solely because he enjoyed his time down here and has affection for the team. He probably does have his eye on someone and other than Knight it can only be Cullip, unless he wants to take David Lee off our hands. It might be true, it probably isn't but if it is I would be gutted to see him go. One only has to look at the (dis) organisation of the Defence when he is not about (Blackpool, Sheff Wed 2nd half) to see that it's not just his ability but his leadership skills which keeps some many clean sheets at the back. Given that we have Zamora, Earnshaw, Harwood et al to cope with next year we can ill afford to lose him.

A post on here from Robert Lester Zamora denouncing this as bollox would put my mind at rest.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Well Adams better give us at least three of his released players in return .... Gillespie, Brooker and Benjamin would meet half of Danny's worth

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the Left Wing said:
Well Adams better give us at least three of his released players in return .... Gillespie, Brooker and Benjamin would meet half of Danny's worth

Presumably he can't as he has released them.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
London Irish said:
Well, isn't this in the same category as Adam Virgo signing for another club? That rumour was posted at least two weeks ago and nothing has come of it
i must have missed these rumours about virgo! where was he suppose to go?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
saltash seagull said:
i must have missed these rumours about virgo! where was he suppose to go?

A first division club apparently.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Bozza said:
In today's transfer market he will probably be worth £100-150k. Certainly nowhere near the £500k - £1m that some have speculated about

The thing is, to the Albion, he is worth much, much more than that. He is our talisman, and inspirational leader, the heart of our team. He optimises everything that we all love about the Albion, and everything we've all been through. He has been the heart of our team for 5 years now - averaging nearly 44 games a season.

Spot on with both points

The thing that people must remember, and was reinforced when I spoke to the club employee last season when he mentioned Brooker, was that Cullip loves the fact (not in ego way) that he is a big fish in a (relatively) little pond at Brighton. He is club captain, and has maximum respect from his team-mates, the fans, the manager, board, etc. He loves the fact he is top dog at Brighton and gives his all for the club in return

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Albion Dan
DC has not been that good this season, fact!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

utter bollox! MOM numerous occasions even on sunday!The heart of the best defence in the divison last season! I believe these are nothing rumours, but if true, be very hard to find a player like Sir DC with so much passion for the team!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
brighton_b0y said:
utter bollox! MOM numerous occasions even on sunday!The heart of the best defence in the divison last season! I believe these are nothing rumours, but if true, be very hard to find a player like Sir DC with so much passion for the team!

In fairness he has been MOM in some dire games. Second half of the season he has been brilliant and fully deserved the MOM, even if at times he was punting the ball into the stand rather than playing it through the middle, but who cares we won. However October / November time he had some very poor games, the one at Peterborough springs to mind. But credit he found some form and has done us proud since Christmas.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Spot on with both points

The thing that people must remember, and was reinforced when I spoke to the club employee last season when he mentioned Brooker, was that Cullip loves the fact (not in ego way) that he is a big fish in a (relatively) little pond at Brighton. He is club captain, and has maximum respect from his team-mates, the fans, the manager, board, etc. He loves the fact he is top dog at Brighton and gives his all for the club in return

Good point. Here at Brighton he is the number 1 player, the boss on the field. At Leicester he'd be just another number. I can't imagine Leicester fans being over the moon over his signing.
"Who have we got as our new central defender?"
"Some bloke from Brighton who's played nearly all of his career in the 2nd and 3rd divisions."

Leicester are looking for an immediate return to the Premiership and have just lost most of their important players (Izzet, Dickov, Elliot, Brooker ;) ) would DC be able to fill Matt Elliot boots?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sounds like bollocks and i suspect its just a little snippet put out by Danny's agent to bolster his starting point with DK. I hardly think that Danny would also condone a member of his family putting out tittle tattle. I think he has more respect for the club and fans and should he ever leave he'd do it in the right way.

I came back from Cardiff on the train on Bank Holiday Monday. As the train pulled out of East Croydon who should be sitting on the platform bur Mr Paul Brooker. Anyone like to speculate on that? Back to us? Off to Palace?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cant be arsed to read every page but found this on a leicester messageboard, apparently it was on Brighton Radio last night:
http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6005

If its true then Good Luck DC you have been a LEGEND to me in your time at the Albion, of course I would like nothing more than you to stay but to further your career a move to Leicester is a good one in my books.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
This kinda rumour happens every year.
Danny is now surely away on his holiday so we probably wont know if there is any truth behind it for a while.
If he goes he goes.
We WILL survive.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
There are two things here.

1st, to those that say they are pissed off with Adams for raiding our squad and would boo him when he is here, lest we forget that it is largely the players Micky Adams brought to the club that has provided the groundwork for our success over the last 3/4 years.

2nd, somebody mentioned earlier that Cullip was only worth 100-150k. That's as maybe, but the club would want a hell of a lot more than that for him because he is 28 and in his prime. I doubt very much whether Leicester would want to use that amount of whatever money they have got to buy one player. Bear in mind, that whatever transfer fee we are asking for Cullip, will have an impact on what Leicester are able to offer him in personal terms.

If all parties come to an agreement, yes it will be shit, but as has been proved over the last four years, we will get over it and move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here