Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth willing to let Murray leave on a free

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It is not the £30k per week that look attractive or otherwise it is the overall £3m that would secure our rise to the Premier probably not as first choice every game but as an alternative to Hemed for some games or during games as per BZ is the attraction.

I wonder if Blackburn thought the same (that they would secure promotion) when they signed Jordan Rhodes for £8m?
I wonder if Fulham thought that too when they signed Ross McCormack for £11m?

Both failed miserably despite buying goalscorers with a decent track record, if they had thought like you that it's a small investment that will pay for itself through promotion then what? should it fail. There is no sure thing in football (look at Leicester winning the PL)

These 2 had age on their side, they have a resale value and the clubs can sell them or have sold them to recover some or all of that transfer fee but what potential sell on fee is there for someone who is very near the end of their career with a couple or 3 seasons left if they are lucky?

I may have misread it that Bournemouth are prepared to let him go free if somebody takes over his contract but not that it had to be exactly as is. Surely once they have released him it is up to him to get the best available contract which may be stay at Bournemouth on £30k per week and not play or go to another club for less and play each week. It depends on what he really wants as either way it wont cost Bournemouth and also save them £30k per week if he leaves as not being in their future plans.

Think of it like taking out a loan to buy a car, if you sell the car before you finish paying of the loan you don't just stop your repayments as you are still liable for the debt as stated in the contract you signed when completing the deal to borrow the money.

Or if you get a new mobile phone on a 2 year contract and agree to a contract with a monthly payment over the course of that plan, however you then decide to get rid of the phone after 6 months (give it away or sell it on) you still have to honour the original contract you agreed to when getting the phone and therefore continue to pay over the rest of the plans duration (another 18 months or a year)

In this case when they signed Murray, they agreed to pay him a wage every week over the course of his contract so getting rid of him after a season doesn't mean that they are free and clear but instead they still owe him the wages he was due for the rest of his contract, whether he is still at the club or not (if it's not down to him breaking the contract but the club dispensing with his services) - This is why Bournemouth want someone to take over his contract, so they are no longer liable for those payments and are prepared to let him go for free (no transfer fee only) but it's not cancelling his contract as they don't have a legal reason to stop honouring it

I wonder if Blackburn thought the same (that they would secure promotion) when they signed Jordan Rhodes for £8m?

That's not a great example is it, given where Boro are now

Had this sinking feeling that when we didn't get a decent striker in Jan window or loan period after, that it would cost us.

I think Murray would have made the big difference this season.

Next season? Look just depends on who else we bring in but we'd have to go some to get better than him

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Had this sinking feeling that when we didn't get a decent striker in Jan window or loan period after, that it would cost us.

I think Murray would have made the big difference this season.

Next season? Look just depends on who else we bring in but we'd have to go some to get better than him

I agree. I also wanted Murray in Jan
Not obsessed, just rate him

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Murray brought some problems to the dressing room and often sulked. We have the most close knit side for some time and signing Murray may well jeopardise that.

On those grounds, it's a no from me

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That's not a great example is it, given where Boro are now

So did Blackburn pay £8m thinking they would get promotion as a result or not? (they also turned down offers for him when they could have sold him earlier and lifted their transfer embargo brought about by breaking FFP) They only sold him once the transfer embargo had lifted.

If we spent a large sum on Murray and ended up breaking FFP and still failed to get promotion, (which was possible, and his signing wasn't the guarantee that BG implied, ie. promotion would happen as a result) we'd be in a position now where we couldn't buy in replacements for Greer, Calde, Bobby Z, Crofty......... or bring in new players which may include a new striker we may have already lined up, etc.... or maybe we couldn't have afforded Knockaert in the last transfer window and stay within FFP, so it could have been one or the other....etc.

Oct 25, 2003
I'd be up for getting him in but we also need someone a bit more dynamic alongside hemed who can also score goals

He doesn't have to be a goal Monster but if he could chip in with about 10 whilst creating chances and space for hemed that would be enough

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO ,no one else will pay Murray £30000 per week ! Bournemouth are trying it on,and i don't blame them. What i think will happen is now a period of horse trading,with Bournemouth having to pay a % of Murray's contract ,to move him on. Maybe,if we are interested we also pay a %,as a signing on fee,allowing us not to break the wage structure. .....This one will run.....and run....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bournemouth have completely messed up with giving him a 30K a week contract that still has 3 more years to run.

They'll need to pay him a million + to tempt him to accept 20K a week somewhere else.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Bournemouth have completely messed up with giving him a 30K a week contract that still has 3 more years to run.

They'll need to pay him a million + to tempt him to accept 20K a week somewhere else.

And yet there are those who are calling for us to pay him a similar figure and bring him here :mad: (and we don't have the multi-millions that Bournemouth have for being in the PL)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't know what our top earners are on.
Hopefully Bournemouth will strike some sort of pay off with him that will enable us to offer some sort of deal in line with our pay structure, i would be by no means happy with bringing any player in on the figures being thrown around. It has to fit in with our structure. How we go about that I do not know, I will leave that to the money men, if it's not possible we move on

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Could we not offer the same and be that somewhere else, it would be cheap for a player with his attacking and defensive ability

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Could we not offer the same and be that somewhere else, it would be cheap for a player with his attacking and defensive ability

If these abilities are still as good as 3 years ago when he last had a good season but he is getting older and nearing the end of his career and there is no guarantee that he will be able to perform as well as he did before

He has only played in 61 games since the start of the 2013/14 season.

His 1st season in the Championship led to just 6 goals for Palace (from 37 games)

Its a lot of our budget for someone when there may be better options available which may take up less of our budget and allow us to strengthen further than Murrays signing will if paying him that sort of figure

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Seriously???

He's only played two full seasons in this division, both for Palace. In his first, he got 7 goals in 44 appearances, not a good return but then their top scorer, Ambrose, only got 10. Perhaps that says more about the team as a whole. Second season he got 31 in total in 43 appearances. He had a loan spell with Reading where he got 8 in 18 appearances. So that's 46 goals in 105 appearances (includes 2 cup goals).

Personally, think he would be a great addition to the team and almost certainly more prolific than Baldock!!!

I'm not saying he's not effective. I'm saying that some people on here seem to be suggesting he would guarantee promotion and I don't think that's true. I wouldn't mind Murray to compete with Hemed (not as our big summer striker signing) on a free transfer with reasonable wages. If someone has to take on his contract, a three year deal of £30K per week, I don't think he's worth close to that, especially with any disruption that would bring to the dressing room with players seeing how much more Murray gets paid than them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If these abilities are still as good as 3 years ago when he last had a good season but he is getting older and nearing the end of his career and there is no guarantee that he will be able to perform as well as he did before

He has only played in 61 games since the start of the 2013/14 season.

His 1st season in the Championship led to just 6 goals for Palace (from 37 games)

Its a lot of our budget for someone when there may be better options available which may take up less of our budget and allow us to strengthen further than Murrays signing will if paying him that sort of figure

Can you name a player who could replace BZ more effectively?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you name a player who could replace BZ more effectively?
Are you asking the question with regard to every footballer on the planet and a blank cheque?
Or
Former Albion strikers returning to the club?

If it's the latter then my answer would be 'no you're correct there is nobody more effective'.
If it's the former then there are thousands of players on planet football who could replace BZ and be considerably more effective than Murray. Within that number there will be many who are not only better than GM but considerably cheaper and potentially more profitable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here