Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth willing to let Murray leave on a free

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That seems pretty unreasonable to me. We don't need to be spending £2m a year with no hope of recouping it.
It's a massive 'no ****ing way!' from me.
and yet here we are again.

The No Imagination Crew are once again hijacking yet another transfer window, even after being completely humiliated 12 and 6 months ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We need 2 strikers to replace Wilson and Zamora, it's as simple as that. I would hope and expect they will be upgrades on those two. They may well even be upgrades on Hemed and Baldock. But they will need to represent value is SOME other way. Either good enough to step up to the Premier League the following season (rather than be a 34 year old bit player) or outstanding value a la Knockaert. An aging striker looking for big wages and a cut down on the commute doesn't really fit either bill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking around Europe for the 'impossible find' - a football who has never played for The Albion, I've just noticed Uwe's previous club, Paderborn, has suffered consecutive relegations.

What about a big fella from Togo, currently playing for VfL Bochum in Germany?

Peniel Kokou Mlapa

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That seems pretty unreasonable to me. We don't need to be spending £2m a year with no hope of recouping it.
It's a massive 'no ****ing way!' from me.

We're spending a lot more than £2M a year on players' wages at the moment - and there is no hope of recouping anything once we've put it into a player's pocket!

Not arguing about the 'no' - just not as violent a 'no' as yours!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need 2 strikers to replace Wilson and Zamora, it's as simple as that. I would hope and expect they will be upgrades on those two. They may well even be upgrades on Hemed and Baldock. But they will need to represent value is SOME other way. Either good enough to step up to the Premier League the following season (rather than be a 34 year old bit player) or outstanding value a la Knockaert. An aging striker looking for big wages and a cut down on the commute doesn't really fit either bill.
Depending on who the Albion have coming up through the ranks, the team may well need 3 strikers.

The only reason CH isn't spending big wads of Premier League cash, this summer, is because the team spent all of last season short of at least 1 striker.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're spending a lot more than £2M a year on players' wages at the moment - and there is no hope of recouping anything once we've put it into a player's pocket!
Eh? Not £2m each though.

I thought £2m + wages was ludicrous for Vydra, and I'd think the same for Murray (even though the figure is a little less than Vydra).

I'm also unsure how much effort he'd put in. He'd not be trying to get himself in the PL, he's already been there and done that, and he'd know that if we get promoted next season then we'd drop him, as Palace and Bournemouth have. If the fee/wages were lower, and he was on a promotion bonus, I'd be more interested, but I can't see that happening.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Depending on who the Albion have coming up through the ranks, the team may well need 3 strikers.

The only reason CH isn't spending big wads of Premier League cash, this summer, is because the team spent all of last season short of at least 1 striker.

Or because Lewis Dunk/Stephens was sent off v Burnley/Boro, or because Barton stayed on the pitch v Burnley or because Goldson scored an unfortunate own goal, or because Bruno couldn't keep Boro down to 2 goals instead of 3.
Its too easy to say we missed out on promotion because of a single x or y but i know its tempting to do so.
Of course we'll be strengthening up front this summer and that won't be cheap and I'm sure TB will back Hughton.
No doubt if Hemed had cost £6m or so instead of £1m or so , nobody would be making this argument.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ok, so I don't get accused of being obsessed with Murray returning, if he is going to cost at least £1 million i am not interested.

I'd still be pleased if he signed though :)

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
With Murray or a similar centre forward in the side this season gone, Albion probably win the league.
He probably has two seasons left in him and a good 30 goals in that time.
1.5m or something is a small price for a good Championship goal scorer in these days of good Championship players going for 9-10m.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems to me the cost of signing Murray will be £3m, ie if he is on £30k a week then that is the value of his contract at Bournemouth for the next two years. Presumably he is going to want the same pay off so if we paid him £15k a week and a fee to Bournemouth of £1.5m they use that to pay off that part of his contract and he comes here on a lower salary that doesn't upset our pay scales. We get a proven goalscorer at this level and Bournemouth clear their decks at, effectively, no cost.

The question is then whether CH wants him or not and whether they think he is fit enough to play at least one season! I'm sure they new BZ wasn't going to play regularly and I'm sure GM would and score more goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or because Lewis Dunk was sent off v Boro, or because Barton stayed on the pitch v Burnley or because Goldson scored an unfortunate own goal, or because Bruno couldn't keep Boro down to 2 goals instead of 3.
Its too easy to say we missed out on promotion because of a single x or y but i know its tempting to do so.
Of course we'll be strengthening up front this summer and that won't be cheap and I'm sure TB will back Hughton.
No doubt if Hemed had cost £6m or so instead of £1m or so , nobody would be making this argument.
But I'm not focusing on a single x or y, you are.

I'm saying throughout the entire season the only thing the squad was lacking in was fit strikers.

Sure left back was a short term problem.
The same applied to wingers, unfortunately at the same time.
Central defensive cover was an even shorter term problem.

But that's just football.

Plenty of wise sages on here (certainly not me) were wondering if the odd goal wins were papering over the cracks.
Maybe they were right.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's still a yes from me. Glenn Murray is close to a proven goal scorer in the Championship as you could wish to find who won't cost silly money. With the creativity and crossing prowess we now have in the team, there's a good chance he'd score a lot of goals for us. If a deal can be struck I say get him in.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems to me the cost of signing Murray will be £3m, ie if he is on £30k a week then that is the value of his contract at Bournemouth for the next two years. Presumably he is going to want the same pay off so if we paid him £15k a week and a fee to Bournemouth of £1.5m they use that to pay off that part of his contract and he comes here on a lower salary that doesn't upset our pay scales. We get a proven goalscorer at this level and Bournemouth clear their decks at, effectively, no cost.

The question is then whether CH wants him or not and whether they think he is fit enough to play at least one season! I'm sure they new BZ wasn't going to play regularly and I'm sure GM would and score more goals.

Even if GM does get paid up the money on his £30k a week contract he has now, why would he want to sign a new one at 50% less ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To play football regularly.

Sure.. but in the real world we are talking about a player with 1 big contract left in him and that is what he will focus on. Maximising that

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sure.. but in the real world we are talking about a player with 1 big contract left in him and that is what he will focus on. Maximising that

IF we offer for him, I expect him to sign, its all down to if Tony and Chris want it too happen.

His quality is not in doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here