Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth willing to let Murray leave on a free

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Perfect when you're spending someone else's money, & blowing the whole budget.

It's like Dave Cameron and George Osborne where they love spending people's money but would bulk at putting their hands in their own pockets.

I say for get him as he's yesteryear. Need to move on now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perfect when you're spending someone else's money, & blowing the whole budget.

Nobody is spending TB money for him or blowing the whole budget i think that yoj will find that most who want him back are saying it on football ability and goal scoring by saying he is a perfect replacemeng for BZ . You may know thd terms of BZ deal so would have abteer insight into whether it would blow our budget if he was paid the same. Should he join us it would be on agreed terms that we can afford or you are not giving TB and PB enough credit.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Eh? Not £2m each though.

Yes, I know that! At least, I'm assuming that isn't the case. I was talking collectively, but even on an individual cases, if we're paying a player £10K a week (£ half a million a year) that is money we (well, The Albion anyway) will never recoup. And assuming we've got maybe 20 players getting somewhere near that, that's £10M a year, non-recoverable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, I know that! At least, I'm assuming that isn't the case. I was talking collectively, but even on an individual cases, if we're paying a player £10K a week (£ half a million a year) that is money we (well, The Albion anyway) will never recoup. And assuming we've got maybe 20 players getting somewhere near that, that's £10M a year, non-recoverable.
Obviously, but the point is we don't want £2m a year unrecoverable on one player, unless that player is a lot better than Murray.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Another 3 goals would have seen us up automatically. If the Premier League is worth £180 million a year, then spending £3million on a player that could and should score 20 goals a season in this division, is not a bad gamble!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We need 2 strikers to replace Wilson and Zamora, it's as simple as that. I would hope and expect they will be upgrades on those two. They may well even be upgrades on Hemed and Baldock. But they will need to represent value is SOME other way. Either good enough to step up to the Premier League the following season (rather than be a 34 year old bit player) or outstanding value a la Knockaert. An aging striker looking for big wages and a cut down on the commute doesn't really fit either bill.

Pretty much where I am with this if I'm honest.

In terms of aging strikers who might be moved on and could offer a few years of value I'd rather we took a punt on Nugent than Murray but I suspect he'd be a fairly expensive proposition.

Ideally, I'd be happier bringing in two fairly unknown quantities for reasonable money that could settle in for a year or two rather than relying on players looking at their retirement fund.
a transfer fee of £1m plus a sensible wage demand would make him a cheap proven struiker for this division hence Reading Fulham and QPR said to be interested.
I know it's all opinion etc but if we go to Murray it's on the club to propose and agree a wage that he finds acceptable, he's not going to be offering to do it on the cheap just for the honour of wearing an Albion shirt again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another 3 goals would have seen us up automatically.
Not necessarily. If we'd have gone to Middlesbrough needing a point, we might have lost.
If the Premier League is worth £180 million a year, then spending £3million on a player that could and should score 20 goals a season in this division, is not a bad gamble!
Who, Vydra? Doesn't look like a good gamble to me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We wont get a better striker or one that practically guarantees the goals that Murray would.

Its wether we can find someone as good who is a lot younger or cheaper.... im not sure thats possible.

I wait to be pleasantly suprised by whatever route we take :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody is spending TB money for him or blowing the whole budget i think that yoj will find that most who want him back are saying it on football ability and goal scoring by saying he is a perfect replacemeng for BZ . You may know thd terms of BZ deal so would have abteer insight into whether it would blow our budget if he was paid the same. Should he join us it would be on agreed terms that we can afford or you are not giving TB and PB enough credit.

I don't know anything about the Zamora budget but at the moment Murray has 30K a week and Bournemouth want however many million for a transfer fee (I suspect to recoup some of the £4M they spent on him)
He's not going to go somewhere else for less.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sure.. but in the real world we are talking about a player with 1 big contract left in him and that is what he will focus on. Maximising that

He's contracted to Bournemouth for two more years, or in other words, till he is 35. He is currently on his last big contract.

At the moment, he is due to earn £3m over the next two years at Bournemouth and they want to get him off the payroll. Pay them £1.5m which they use to pay off half of his contract. He signs for us for £15k a week which is roughly £750k a year; or to put it another way, £1.5m over two years. Bournemouth get him off their books at no cost to them (but no gain), we get a proven goal scorer at a relatively modest fee and GM still earns £3m over the next two years without upsetting our pay scales! Win Win Win all round. What's not to like. The point is that he is unlikely to sign for any club for more than he is earning now so he is always going to look to Bournemouth to make up the difference which they are not prepared to fund.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Oh and I would still love Vydra by the way, suits us perfectly in my opinion, Reading were a shambles this season.
Hes always scored a lot of goals in the championship generally.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know anything about the Zamora budget but at the moment Murray has 30K a week and Bournemouth want however many million for a transfer fee (I suspect to recoup some of the £4M they spent on him)

Are they looking to recoup the transfer fee or are they merely looking to get out of the remaining cost of is contract? The Standard article in the first post suggests the latter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are they looking to recoup the transfer fee or are they merely looking to get out of the remaining cost of is contract?

I haven't got a clue, but they blocked us loaning him earlier this year, so they obviously want some large amount.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
at the moment Murray has 30K a week and Bournemouth want however many million for a transfer fee (I suspect to recoup some of the £4M they spent on him)
They're not going to recoup what they spent. I imagine he'll go for whatever they're offered. If the best offer they get is a zero fee but taking him off their hands, I expect they'll take it. He's just a £3m waste to them at the moment.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He's contracted to Bournemouth for two more years, or in other words, till he is 35. He is currently on his last big contract.

At the moment, he is due to earn £3m over the next two years at Bournemouth and they want to get him off the payroll. Pay them £1.5m which they use to pay off half of his contract. He signs for us for £15k a week which is roughly £750k a year; or to put it another way, £1.5m over two years. Bournemouth get him off their books at no cost to them (but no gain), we get a proven goal scorer at a relatively modest fee and GM still earns £3m over the next two years without upsetting our pay scales! Win Win Win all round. What's not to like. The point is that he is unlikely to sign for any club for more than he is earning now so he is always going to look to Bournemouth to make up the difference which they are not prepared to fund.

Why would Murray be prepared to forfeit half of his contracted income from Bournemouth to leave and go elsewhere? If they were to cancel his contract and release him early, he would still get the whole amount owed to him in that contract.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I would still love Vydra by the way, suits us perfectly in my opinion, Reading were a shambles this season.
Hes always scored a lot of goals in the championship generally against Brighton & Hove Albion FC.

Edited because it's a crucial difference.

Vydra is the reverse of Rhodes/McCormack coin.
Vydra looks fantastic and scores when playing the Albion, while the other two have always looked shitehouse.

I don't imagine any of those strikers can be defined by how we've seen them play.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At the moment Bournemouth are £5.5M down on GM (£4M transfer fee plus one year wages). If the do nothing, they'll pay GM another £3M before his contract ends. That's £8.5M they'll never see again. From Bournemouth's point of view, almost any deal would seem to be a good idea!
Not necessarily saying we should be the people to offer them a deal, just saying, like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How the fook has GM become a guaranteed goalscorer let alone and 20 goal a season man.

If you took away all the penalties palace dived for, and the hat-tricks (maybe even a 4 goal game), at the Albion, you're left with an awful lot of Hemedesque droughts.

Not to mention the fact that whatever Bournemouth have paid and are currently paying him has no bearing on the Albion.
It's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

"We'll pay you £x to play for Brighton"
"But my client is earning £xxx at Bournemouth"
"Then stay at Bournemouth, toodles"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here