Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books that made you laugh out loud?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy made me snigger when I first read it in 1980. I reckon I've read it at least 50 times since and it still makes me chuckle. Gutted when Mr Adams passed..

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy made me snigger when I first read it in 1980. I reckon I've read it at least 50 times since and it still makes me chuckle. Gutted when Mr Adams passed..

Good call. I wouldn't be surprised if Mssrs Grant & Naylor took inspiration from these books when writing the Red Dwarf series.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Catch 22 is obviously a classic.

Will second Danny Wallace's Yes Man and Join me.

Will add Generation X by Douglas Coupland and High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not read any Tom Sharpe so time for a try I think. Any recommendations on a particular book to start with, or is Riotous Assembly a good a start as any?

Wilt. Literally LOL!

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Both books by Peter Kay are hilarious , the 2nd titled "Saturday night Peter " left me laughing out load all the way through it , especially the story about tribute meatloaf act calling himself Pete loaf .

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Tom Sharpe is a good call, this thread is very topical in my workplace. I bought a book for holiday a couple of years ago that was fab.. it got passed on to various people and one colleague has bought other books by same author. Just read another one... brilliant. I vote for Colin Bateman, and his murder mystery series. Try Mystery Man to get started.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Loved Timewaster Letters. Bought a copy for each member of the family at Christmas. 1p + p&p on Amazon. The Belgian Silhouettist was brilliant. Love Tom Sharp and Bryson too.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's reassuring to hear that so many people still love the Tom Sharpe books - I used to regularly get told off for keeping the house awake crying with laughter into the early hours in the 80s but when I revisited one a few years ago it felt a bit dated. Might have to have another go. If I recall correctly the funniest were Indecent Exposure, Wilt, Blott on the Landscape, Ancestral Vices, The Throwback and Porterhouse Blue - sounds like most of them other than the Wilt sequels that rather tailed off.

I've not bought I Alan Partridge yet, partly because I can't decide whether to get the printed version or the audiobook.

The Hitch-hikers series, Nick Hornby and some of Bill Bryson's books - particularly the one about Australia are also good calls.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
220px-WimbledonPoisoner.jpg

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Good call. I wouldn't be surprised if Mssrs Grant & Naylor took inspiration from these books when writing the Red Dwarf series.
I've never thought about that before, but yes, definately a similar sense of humour for sure. Explains why I have the entire Red Dwarf on DVD and all the HitchHikers 'Trilogy' !
The eagle-eyed NSCers will notice my Twitter name is in homage to the great book!

Not read any Tom Sharpe so time for a try I think. Any recommendations on a particular book to start with, or is Riotous Assembly a good a start as any?

Yep, Wilt and Riotous Assembly, Porterhouse Blue.

I didn't see the films, just because they couldn't have done the books justice.

Spike Milligan has his moments - some just silly, but some just make you splutter (so don't drink tea while reading)

For younger readers (teenaged I woulda thought), Ronald Searle I found amusing with 'Whizz for Atomms': A Guide to Survival in the 20th Century for Fellow Pupils, their Doting Maters, Pompous Paters and Any Others who are Interested, 1956 (Published in the U.S. as Molesworth's Guide to the Atommic Age)
and 'Back in the Jug Agane'

Last edited:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Awful End by Philip Ardagh. Got it when I was a kid and it still makes me laugh eleven years on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did just remember this one: Matt Beaumont 'e: A Novel'

What is funny and original about this book is that it is told entirely as emails sent between various members of an advertising agency. Very funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here