Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books that made you laugh out loud?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Dont know about laugh but Eurotrash one of the short stories in Irving Welsh's Acid House nearly made me spew up !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Y
For younger readers (teenaged I woulda thought), Ronald Searle I found amusing with 'Whizz for Atomms': A Guide to Survival in the 20th Century for Fellow Pupils, their Doting Maters, Pompous Paters and Any Others who are Interested, 1956 (Published in the U.S. as Molesworth's Guide to the Atommic Age)
and 'Back in the Jug Agane'

Ooh, nice reminder. Not so sure about teenagers, I was reading them again last year and they're still excellent.

One small point, they're not by Ronald Searle, although he did the superb drawings. They were actually written by a guy called Geoffrey Willans who died rather young, before we could write more of these comic masterpieces.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
McCarthys travels and Road to McCarthy by former Brighton resident Pete McCarthy who is sadly no longer with us.
Brilliantly written and both very funny

Thoroughly agree with those - along with Pratchett, Bryson, Clive James, Alan Coren, Woody Allen, and the excellent 'Welsh noir' spoofs of Malcolm Pryce.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy made me snigger when I first read it in 1980. I reckon I've read it at least 50 times since and it still makes me chuckle. Gutted when Mr Adams passed..

Yup, Douglas Adams was a legend. Also enjoyed his Dirk Gently detective books and the very silly Meaning of Liff book he did with John Lloyd, where they used lots of obscure place names and invented other words for things that didn't have a word for them. Hilarious and very cleverly done.

Ooh, nice reminder. Not so sure about teenagers, I was reading them again last year and they're still excellent.

One small point, they're not by Ronald Searle, although he did the superb drawings. They were actually written by a guy called Geoffrey Willans who died rather young, before we could write more of these comic masterpieces.

Ah, well I had an inkling they were collaborative works, but don't know how much would have been his work vs the co-writer. You're saying he just did the cartoons then.
His name stuck in my mind anyway, over anyone else he was working alongside.
Interesting that you still get something out of them, perhaps worth another look as I'd assumed the humour was primarily related to by school-aged people like I was when I read it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
hunter-s-thompson-fear-and-loathing.jpg

RIP

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The Green party manifesto is hilarious.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I can't believe there's been this many replies and no one has even mentioned P.G. Wodehouse - only the finest comic writer of all time!

(Code of the Woosters is my favourite!)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I can't believe there's been this many replies and no one has even mentioned P.G. Wodehouse - only the finest comic writer of all time!

Good call. I love the Blandings/Lord Emsworth ones.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Exactly that. Some of his short stories are comic perfection. Check out a few random Wodehouse lines http://www.drones.com/pgw.cgi

I would also recommend Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis for those that haven't tried it. It's savagely hilarious.

And maybe even better is this (out of print) book about a likeable upstart young journalist being sent to cover events in a post-colonial African state. If you can find a copy I can't recommend it highly enough, it had me in hysterics.

An Unimpeachable Source - David Wheeler - Google Books

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
A paperback I found once called "The Next To Last Train Ride".

I lent it to someone else and never saw it again, got no idea who wrote it, it was about some bloke travelling around the USA, in search of his girlfriend.

At one stage he gets picked up by two happy hookers in the MidWest and gets freebies on tap.

Anybody know who wrote it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here