Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books that made you laugh out loud?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The Liar by Stephen Fry

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Another vote for "I, Partridge" from me. My wife actually banned me from reading it in bed, because my laughing kept her awake.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Bill Bryson books have made me laugh out loud on trains, trams, metro etc...

This, some of his writing is so funny you just have to keep re-reading it. And 'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' is my favourite book ever.

edit: ah yes, me also for the Milligan war memoirs too. And 'Chronicles of Bargepole' by Michael Bywater.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh, and I will add 'The Dalkey Archive', and 'The Third Policeman' by Flann O'Brien. These satirical surreal Irish novels are real comedy classics.

This. I was crying with laughter reading The Third Policeman. Add The Poor Mouth to this too - the bloke was a genius.

I remember being unable to read Three Men in a Boat aloud at school as I was laughing too much.

But, as others have said, can't think of any book funnier than Catch-22

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
As previously mentioned, 'Unreliable Memoirs' caused me great embarrassment on a beach in Portugal in 1987 and I now adopt the Partridge/Ponder method of ordering/condiment gathering mentioned in 'I, Partridge'

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
E by Matt Beaumont

If you've ever worked in an office (or more specifically an ad agency) you will relate to this.

That and "The book, The Film, The T Shirt" by Matt Beaumont, very good, very sharp author

Personally I loved the Charlie Brooker article compendium books - Screen Burn, Dawn of the Dumb and The Hell of it All are not safe to take on public transport

Have also just read the Year in the Merde series by Stephen Clarke

Also, anything by John O'Farrell gets my vote

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said, Timewasters.
The Hour - Michael Hutchison
Gladys Protteroe Football Genius - Simon Cheatham

Anything by Tony Hawks, (not the skateboarder) I'm surprised he's not been mentioned yet.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
I'll include Dave Gorman's first couple of books (Are You Dave Gorman, Googlewack Adventure), as well as Danny Wallace's Join Me & Yes Man. All excellent.

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009
McCarthys travels and Road to McCarthy by former Brighton resident Pete McCarthy who is sadly no longer with us.
Brilliantly written and both very funny

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Red Dwarf:Better than Life - (Rob)Grant(Doug)Naylor

Good read, far better than the show! (and a very good audio book narrated by Chris Barrie by the way)

Last edited:

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
Sideways by Rex Pickett. If you thought the film was funny then the book is 10 times more so. Only book that has made me laugh out aloud. Only book to use the word "carnage" when describing a golf round.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sideways by Rex Pickett. If you thought the film was funny then the book is 10 times more so. Only book that has made me laugh out aloud. Only book to use the word "carnage" when describing a golf round.

You aint seen me play golf :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here