Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Books that made you laugh out loud?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
A paperback I found once called "The Next To Last Train Ride".

I lent it to someone else and never saw it again, got no idea who wrote it, it was about some bloke travelling around the USA, in search of his girlfriend.

At one stage he gets picked up by two happy hookers in the MidWest and gets freebies on tap.

Anybody know who wrote it?

Jeffery Archer?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have never read a book as funny as this. I, Partridge We need to Talk About Alan, is simply a work of comedy genius that ties together the whole Alan Partridge story from the man himself. There is barely a paragraph that goes past that isn't funny.

I've been reading it while getting Youtube clips from the relevant shows as well. Can't recommend the book enough to anybody that has even had a passing interest in Partridge over the years.

Yes it's brilliant.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Kill Your Friends by John Niven
Very funny - will strike an obvious chord if you have ever had anything to do with the music industry (particularly in the hedonistic days of the 90s) but thats definitely not a pre requisite to enjoying it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Riotous Assembly is pant wetting funnily. Definitely start there and then move on to the Wilt series.

This exactly, especially Riotous Assembly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yep, Wilt and Riotous Assembly, Porterhouse Blue.

Just coming to the end of Riotous Assembly, very funny, took a while to really get to grips with the black humour and utter incompetence of the central characters, but some of the scenes are just ridiculously played out, you do indeed end up laughing out loud - I'd love to see a picture of the actual elephant gun Tom imagined that caused so much havoc. I'll certainly be adding some more Tom Sharpe to my list.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This, some of his writing is so funny you just have to keep re-reading it. And 'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' is my favourite book ever.

That bit about the clock being set at the wrong time and the explosion in the house was probably the funniest written thing I have ever read in my life.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Certain parts of Mr Nice made me laugh loudly which by all accounts is an acheivement according to people who know me.

I can't believe there's been this many replies and no one has even mentioned P.G. Wodehouse - only the finest comic writer of all time!

(Code of the Woosters is my favourite!)

Exactly what I was going to say.

The Master.

Mind you, I bet most people on here won't have read any of his books - if so, you are in for a real treat.

And one from way back. The Henry Root Letters, especially the bit about Esther Rantzen.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
That bit about the clock being set at the wrong time and the explosion in the house was probably the funniest written thing I have ever read in my life.

Hah, yes, I'd forgotten about that, cracking piece of writing :thumbsup:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for this. Had a look at the sample on Amazon last night and had to stop after a few pages in case I woke my wife up. Bought it earlier tonight and have just spent the last hour almost crying with laughter.

For those who don't know the book its a series of letters and responses. Little example below is part of a pitch letter to a London publishing house about a new children's book he (Robin Copper) has written. The basic story.

Catty knits a woolen world where speech is forbidden and children are forced to live in caves. The whole place is run by the evil Dr Finch. In the end Catty defeats Dr Finch by letting him suckle on her until he falls asleep. Catty then burns Dr Finch in front of the villagers.
The book publishers' response was "The image of the 'baddies' suckling on Catty is a slightly disturbing image, which I think would be unsuitable for a children's book"

Honestly the funniest book i've ever read. Pleased you liked it SussexHoop.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Exactly what I was going to say.

The Master.

Mind you, I bet most people on here won't have read any of his books - if so, you are in for a real treat.

And one from way back. The Henry Root Letters, especially the bit about Esther Rantzen.

The Wodehouse books are priceless and I'm gradually working my way through them. Managed to pick up three first editions but mostly they are very expensive & out of my price range.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
As previously mentioned, 'Unreliable Memoirs' caused me great embarrassment on a beach in Portugal in 1987 and I now adopt the Partridge/Ponder method of ordering/condiment gathering mentioned in 'I, Partridge'

Unreliable Memoirs - It has to be!

I remember reading this in a pack train coming back from London to Brighton. I found it so hard to stop myself from bursting out with laughter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here