Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Robson - RIP

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Bobby
funny I have just been on to another site before I came on here and surprising I used the words that I have seen here
smile and dignity his smile was infectious and he bore his cancer and some of his disapointments with great dignity and humour.....somehow legend does not seem adiquate for this man

Yoda

English & European
Don't normally join in on these threads but RIP Sir Bob.

If it wasn't for Italia 90 and what he achieved that year, it wouldn't have reinvigorated the passion for the game in this Country.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
So very sad. I have told this story before but it is worth repeating. Lived in Felixstowe
(12 miles from Ipswich) for 20+ years and my 2 boys became Ipswich fans. Anyway when they were 6 & 8 they used to play footie on the Felixstowe cliffs. One Sunday afternoon Sir Bobby & missus were out on a stroll. Bobby saw my two lads playing and came over and spent half an hour with them playing football and giving them some coaching. His missus just sat down and watched. He was the nicest man you could ever wish to meet and his wife was lovely too. RIP Bobby. May light perpetual shine upon you.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Quote by Niall Quinn which I think sums him up very well:

"The Sunderland chairman said: "Like everyone in the football world, we at Sunderland were stopped in our tracks when we heard the devastating news of Sir Bobby's passing this morning.

"Quite simply Sir Bobby Robson was 'Mr. Football'.

"He now joins the greats of Moore, Best, Matthews, Clough and others who have achieved so much and brought so much joy to our lives through football.

"In the last few seasons he has been a regular visitor to our boardroom at the Stadium of Light and everyone, including visitors, sparkled when they saw him enter the room. The intensity in which he discussed tactics among directors, business people and wives was a sight to behold - with pepper and salt pots as defenders and sugar bowls as strikers, all being treated with such wonderful wisdom and enthusiasm.

"When we stop to think of his achievements in football we marvel but add to this is colossal contribution to charities, in particular the Bobby Robson Foundation then it is obvious to all that this man was a true legend."

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
_46138206_cwc_getty282.jpg

Legend.

Five points to anyone who can name the man on the left!

A great loss for football the whole world over the passion and the belief he had in the game will probably not be matched, no matter what team anyone supports this man showed the way to help get the best out of players by being patient , understanding and honest.

RIP Mr Robson you will be sorely missed in football

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a sad day for English football, and its a testament to his greatness that, 5 pages into an RIP thread, no one has dared to try and make a cheap joke.

It's interesting when you stand back, look at his achievements globally and his standing in the international game, then compare that to English managers of today. No one comes near him. He was in another league to the likes of Allardyce, Redknapp, Curbishley and Bruce.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
head to head
Sir Alf Ramsey vs Sir Bobby Robson
Sir Alf-won the World Cup
Sir Bobby - didn't

True but at the same time Sir Bobby got England the furthest in a tournament on foreign soil...

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Always had a lot of time for Sunderland and their excellent supporters. My view has not dimmed after hearing their fans have been laying wreaths and the club has flown it's flag at half-mast in tribute.

Touch of class.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Bobby Robson will get a minute’s silence before all opening league games. He will get ninety-one minutes’ silence at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here