Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Robson - RIP

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Indeed RIP.

Italia 90 was my first trip abroad to watch England. He got us to the semi-finals and we deserved to beat West Germany in the semi final. A true England legend.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm sure when the papers pay tribute to him they won't mention how the tabloids initially savaged him as England manager.

Not just initially I reckon but throughout much of it. He happened to be in that chair to catch the tabloids at their hateful, bilious mid- to late-80s worst: shameful and something well worth remembering when reading tomorrow's no doubt glowing tributes to him in them.

On a far happier note, I love the apparently true story of the great man doing a book signing in Newcastle. As Sir Bobby signed a young kid's book, the lad said "bet you've signed hundreds of autographs over the years Sir Bobby?". "Aye I have son, hundreds and hundreds." The kid opened the book outside to read "Best wishes, Bobby Hundreds".

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Watch that video at around the 3.55 mark, sums up the man for me, that smile, gracious, talented, LEGEND. Fair brought a tear to my eye.

Totally agree, and the way he takes the time to shake the hands of the ball boys as he was wheeled off.
RIP Sir Bobby

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very sad. Amid all the excesses of modern football, Sir Bobby was a throwback to a different - and in so many ways - far better era. Always dignified despite some disgusting media treatment while England manager.

Gary Lineker's story last week was amusing. Just before penalties at the semi in 1990, the four players who'd volunteered to take spot kicks (plus Chris Waddle) turned to the manager hoping for some inspiration, maybe a few well chosen words to settle the nerves. Sir Bobby came up with a peach: "Don't let me down lads - or any of the thirty millions fans watching at home". Magic! No wonder we lost...

Seriously though, the record doesn't lie: FA Cup, twice League runners-up with Ipswich, UEFA Cup, World Cup semi-final, Dutch title, Portuguese title, Portuguese Cup, Spanish Supercup, Spanish Cup, European Cup Winners Cup and several years at Newcastle in which they managed not to be a complete and utter joke.

Sad day.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It's a measure of the man that, for example, that a gutted Sunderland fan e-mailed me this news this morning. As everybody has said, a true gent, proof that you didn't have to be a git to be successful, and an example, looking back to a recent thread on here, of how to conduct yourself properly in a position of authority, responsibility and under pressure.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not just initially I reckon but throughout much of it. He happened to be in that chair to catch the tabloids at their hateful, bilious mid- to late-80s worst: shameful and something well worth remembering when reading tomorrow's no doubt glowing tributes to him in them.

Yes, that shouldn't be forgotten. I imagine the Sun will be leading the tributes, when it was that paper (and others) who treated him like dirt.

I dont think I'm being too over the top, when I say that Bobby Robson (to date) was the best England manager. Yes, Ramsey won it, but that was on home soil and perhaps football was a lot different then. Bobby got us so close, only the cheat in 1986 stopped us then, and penalties in 1990.

As someone else mentioned, imagine what he would have done with the so called golden generation in 2006. Also would England have lost in 2002 to a ten man Brazil whilst we were 1-0 up.

Where ever he went he played good, attractive footbal whose teams usually won. Well he will be manager of the heaven eleven now.

RIP Bobby.

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Great loss to football and the world in general, never stopped working for his cancer charity even close too the end, a man truly to be respected. Still remember as a teenager tripping over his feet trying to get his autograph in 1982 when the Albion played Ipswich. Thankfully I never fell over and he kindly signed my book.

R.I.P Bobby

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here