Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Robson - RIP

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Brilliant manager, England legend. Gentleman? Having an affair as he did in the late seventies rather takes the gloss off that. The game was the better for him.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for everything you have done for football, you leave this world a legend, RIP

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A great footballer, a great manager and most of all a great bloke.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What a wonderful man Sir Bobby was. Such a warm, bubbly guy with a strange propensity to forget players' names.

He built an amazing football team at Ipswich Town in the early 1980s, playing such beautiful winning passing football that was ahead of its time. Great players! I f***ing loved that team.

................ Cooper
Burley . Osman .. Butcher ... Mills
................. Wark
........ Thijssen .... Muhren
................. Gates
..... Mariner ........ Brazil

And for taking England to the World Cup Quarter-Finals in 1986 and Semi-Finals in 1990. Rode their luck a bit but played some excellent football on the way. Probably the first and last England national team manager to play a sweeper system in a major international football tournament.

Here is the front cover of 'Time On The Grass', Bobby's (marijuana-inspired?) account of Ipswich's glorious 1980/81 football season.

Attachments

• time.jpg
    time.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 185

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I genuienly feel saddened by this great man's death. I really do. He brought me so many fantastic memories, some of the best in my life. Just a wonderful man, an example to us all. Will be greatly missed.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I genuienly feel saddened by this great man's death. I really do. He brought me so many fantastic memories, some of the best in my life. Just a wonderful man, an example to us all. Will be greatly missed.

Same here. I only heard after work, but I honestly feel sad by it. He didn't look well at all at his charity event. Not one to often say RIP on this board, but I will on this case.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
An inspiration to all, what a wonderful man, a great loss to football, I don't mind admitting, that when i heard in work today, i was truly choked.

RIP Mr Robson, and thank you for all you contributed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A true gent has finally retired. RIP

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
RIP Sir Bobby. Sometimes you hear bad news and you`re stopped in your tracks because that person was special. Today was one of those days for me. A man who had tremendous dignity and a man who REALLY loved the game and the people who played it.
A sad day indeed.

My thoughts exactly. I found the news reports today very moving and I don't usually feel that way about famous people.
I'm going to watch the tribute on ITV in a moment and will have a lump in my throat all the way through. Apart from England, I've never supported any of the teams he managed but he is as big a legend to me as anybody connected to the Albion and not just because of what he did with England. We will never see his like again.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
However terribly sad a death of someone like Sir Bobby is , ( and believe me , ive shed a tear tonight), it must be amazing to have led a life that brings this extraordinary outpouring of grief ,sadness, and grateful thanks for a wonderful life and career.

I know it will never happen to most of us , but how wonderful to hear so many people expressing their thoughts,memories and love to a wonderful man . Sir Bobby ...thank you and RIP .

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
A very sad day for football... RIP Sir Bobby Robson:bowdown:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why is it that , even when something like this happens, there are still tossers like you that have to put a post like this

Quite, just ignore him, he is not worthy of even being on this thread. SBR will be remembered for a long time, that dickheads post will be forgotten by tomorrow.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Excellent tribute on your site, Phil.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I have never seen the Spanish Lady go so beserk ever, before or after Platt's goal against Belgium. They never served draught Holsten again after that night.

For that mad night in the Spanish alone, Sir Bobby I salute you.

Jameson

A very sad day for one of the great men of football; what a shame that our Press(?) will say the same tomorrow despite vilifying him in the middle of Italia 90 over some trivial personal life "news" item.

RIP Sir Bobby, England owes you a huge debt of gratitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here