Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Brigade - Brighton Ultras

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Fair enough that you dislike the whole ultra country, but it is not true that the countries you stated don't have many ultra groups. Germany have some of the biggets groups in Europe, and the Dutch and Scandinavian groups are getting very big as well. Admittedly the idea of ultras is very new to Great Britain, but around half of SPL teams have groups, and the scene is really growing.

One thing we don't want to do is get rid of our British culture of having a few pints, etc. We just want to add to that a louder atmosphere and bring more colour to games.

On the whole whilst 'Ultras' are growing in Germany, Holland, etc they are still in the minority.

As for things here the Ultra culture is nothing I feel we need...You said about adding 'a louder atmosphere and bringing more colour to games" which I think it great but you do not need Ultra's to do that.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You said about adding 'a louder atmosphere and bringing more colour to games" which I think it great but you do not need Ultra's to do that.
Exactly, the reason the atmosphere is shit at withdean is the supporters, most brighton fans just aren't interested in singing and making noise. It happened at gillingham last week, 50 or so people at the back trying to get things going, everyone else just sitting there

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Excuse the messy flat, but this is something me and the missus knocked up in an afternoon for a grand total cost of around £4. If people want to make Falmer a fortress and a place teams remember coming to, then there's no reason that with a little effort ever other person couldn't be waving a blue and white flag.

Easy.

3503520_663800547.jpg

565932381_174.jpg

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Would be great to have just that burst of colour and noise the entire 90 mins. Quiet a scene

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Exactly, the reason the atmosphere is shit at withdean is the supporters, most brighton fans just aren't interested in singing and making noise. It happened at gillingham last week, 50 or so people at the back trying to get things going, everyone else just sitting there

The problem is though that whilst most people agree that the atmosphere is shit. most don't end up doing anything about it, we just keep moaning how bad it is. If we can even do a tiny amount to try and get more people involved in the atmosphere then it will have been a success.

At least with an 'ultras group' like this we can be organised and get things done properly. For instance the giant flag, no one took responsinility for it and it's lost. We can blame Withdean all we like, but look at other grounds up and down the country, and they're just as bad without all the excuses. We can't just go to Falmer and expect their to be a good atmosphere, we need to do something about it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Even DC United have the 'Screaming Eagles,' a couple of hundred rabid fans who congregate on one side of RFK Stadium. Whislt horn blowing, drumming and the like isn't everyone's cup of tea, the end result is 90 minutes of noise and colour from their section, the knock on effect being seen in the atmosphere it propagates in the rest of the stadium, which is no mean feat in the MLS.

Personally I think we should have a band like Sheffield Wednesday. If Pompey fans can put up with Marty Feldman's bell ringing for 90 minutes.....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Personally I think we should have a band like Sheffield Wednesday.

Oh God no!! That would be hideous.

If Pompey fans can put up with Marty Feldman's bell ringing for 90 minutes.....

True, but they are all in-bred, so that's not a true reflection.

I'd welcome some sort of organised group that aims to generate an atmosphere... I'm sure I'm not in a minority when I say that many of us want to sing at matches, and it certainly helps when one of the usual crowd starts a song.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like Thimble Keegan it's not my cup of tea, but we do need to do something; so fair play to you if you want to set something up.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No offence but I find the 'Ultra culture' of football support pretty crap. It is also only mainly embraced by the 'latin' countries such as Italy, Spain & South America. It would appear that despite a few exceptions 'Ultra culture' is not embraced by the more Northern European coutries such as Germany, Great Britain, Scandinavia and the Benilux region. It is sometimes confused in such coutries who have fanatical supports that they are Ultras but that is not the case.

I think Falmer will help sort atmosphere out, I mean it is not as is we have not had great atmosphere's before. People say the one against Millwall the other Friday is the best they have known at Withdean but for me nothing beats the 6-0 over Mansfield...The whole place was rocking.

Anyway, I can never see it taking off over here as we are already entrenched in our own football culture which is much better...You know, beer, programme and dodgy pie!!!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Not entirely true...... Poland certainly has Ultras and I think Ukraine and Russia have too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think its a great idea........

I take my 2 Son's to the games and I try to explain the 'old' atmosphere of the Goldstone big games in the late 70's early 80's.

Yes there was some intimidation and edginess about it but that made me passionate about the game and the club.

It was electric and now.....hmmmmmmmm

The other week a 10 year old boy was sitting with his parents when he burst out with a SSEEEEEAAAAGGGUUUUUUULS...only to be told off by his parents for making a noise....i kid you not.

While we're at it bring back terracing.......

The Bosun Pub

Gettin your scarf nicked by a Millwall F-Tooper

Players Number 10's Cigarettes

Throwing light bulbs out of the train from Brighton to Hove in the tunnel

And Tachini Tracksuits

And boiled Hamburgers with boiled onions....

And...............

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Great idea..... you're right that Ulra does not equal holiganism ... unfrotuantetely many Ultra do have a hoolgian element.

My persoanl favourites are Galatasaray and Red Star Belgrade... the choreography is amazing !

I read this on the Gills web site "Brighton's large and vociferous support " and "as the home crowd finally found their voices albeit late on".

I didn't think we were as quiet as people think and compared to the Gill's we were much better. Problem was that with no roof to keep the noise in it is dispiriting to keep singing as much as normal at away games although on Sauturday there did seem to be a lot of mixed age groups but at least we had a good turn out :albion2::albion2:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I totally agree with you, but it was a tad off when some bloke at the back after trying to get more people singing yelled something to the tune of " hopefully you c**ts dont go to falmer" when people wouldnt sing along with his lead!

I dont think you will get back to the Goldstone days of the North Stand constantly signing along as I think the culture of young lads all standing and singing together have gone with aggressive over zealous stewarding and all seater stadiums( and the age of fans now at grounds)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here