Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blokes doing the cooking

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
My ex was a right lazy cow, didn’t know how to cook anything but frozen pizzas so I did all the cooking, couldn’t/wouldn’t use the washing machine and refused to clean. All this despite me supporting her through her uni studies, (yes I am a little bitter).

Hopefully the next girl who is stupid enough to live with me pulls her weight, as I’ve always felt cooking and other household tasks should be shared.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

I probably do 60% of the cooking. Like others have said i find it quite a pleasurable experience. Nothing too fancy. Cheese, bacon and onion pies and the odd curry. I use a fair bit of fresh cream in most of the things i do.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Skipped the replies but I do 98% of the cooking and LOVE IT. I first got into it 6 years ago when my daughter was born, I quickly realised that if I was in the kitchen cooking (or drinking a bottle of wine) then I didn't have to deal with stroppy babies or dirty bottoms. I spend a lot of my day now searching for new recipes and have upped my wine intake to two bottles :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I love cooking and do as much as I can :thumbsup: Do most of my cooking at the weekend though due to work so the wife tends to cook during the week :(

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you making the base sauce from the Book "The Curry Secret" that was posted on here?

If so, like you I am saving shed loads on take away's because the wife reckons mine are better than any take away.

small tip, substitute the tinned tomato in stage 1 with V8 vegetable juice.

I get mine from Curry Recipes Online - Index. There are a few different base sauces Hillian that I have tried and they are all pretty much the same. Got some coconut and tamarind for the Pathia tomorrow and am looking forward to see how it turns out. My missus thinks the same as yours on the home cooked ones.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Regardless of all the banter/nonsense about women should be in the kitchen, who is it that does the cooking in your house?

I was discussing this with a female NSCer on the train yesterday evening, and with my better half afterwards, and it occurred to me that I wouldn't mind betting that not only do most (i.e. more than 50%) of the blokes do the cooking, a sizeable amount actually enjoy doing it. I know I'm one of them.

So, is that the case? If so, what's your 'signature' dish? What's the meal you cook that puts the biggest smile on your better half's face?

Just curious, like.
I do all the cooking and cleaning in my house,as I work local it's pretty natural to be honest. :)

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
My boyfriend and I try to split cooking 50/50 but as we both work shifts it's generally who ever is there at the right time. Neither of us had really cooked at all till we moved out of home a year ago so neither of us is very confident but we are getting there with the help of BBC good food website. Its complicated by the fact I am gluten intolerant and he is on slimming world diet. We try to split cleaning 50/50 as well.

My boyfriend and I try to split cooking 50/50 but as we both work shifts it's generally who ever is there at the right time. Neither of us had really cooked at all till we moved out of home a year ago so neither of us is very confident but we are getting there with the help of BBC good food website. Its complicated by the fact I am gluten intolerant and he is on slimming world diet. We try to split cleaning 50/50 as well.

Are you a member of the Coeliac Society? They produce some really good recipes for people with gluten intolerance.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Are you a member of the Coeliac Society? They produce some really good recipes for people with gluten intolerance.

No I don't have true coeliac disease just an intolerance so I can put up with some small amounts for instance I use normal soya sauce. I am also trying after 5 years to reintroduce gluten into my diet which would make life much easier.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Nothing wrong with blokes doing the cooking.

I probably prepare dinner five evenings a week for myself and the missus, and always try to put aside one night a week to rustle together a hearty dinner from scratch.

Lamb Kleftiko, Chimmichurri Steak and Coq Au Cidre are probably the three meals I'm most consistently good at, yet I find myself often being really shit at something as straightforward as an omelette.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I do all of the cooking (and housework 😱) in our house, signature dish would be chicken breast with Philadelphia inside and wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes etc. Mrs and our son say they love my cooking.

That sounds Delicious,Well done.

I'm always doing the cooking.
I got asked "how did you learn to cook, where did you find out?" - like it's some sort of magic (well actually in my case, I can understand people thinking it is).
Not the first time a woman has questioned it, but it has brought me to wonder at times why they have seemingly not sussed it out and so often just follow instructions on packets or from cookbooks.

I just put my imagination to work, get the right stuff and get on with it. I don't like long-winded creations, so in actual fact my concoctions are all quite simple and economical. You start with one of the main meat choices - chicken, beef, lamb, duck, turkey, ham, pork, fish, crustaceans, or venison. Then when you decide which category, and cut or species, you then decide on the manner of cooking and what will go with it.

My own 'signature' dish is rather excellent;-
Salmon steak, skinned (keep the skin, it's lovely as a side when crispy).
lay it on a sheet of inori sushi seaweed.
top with sour cream, mixing in a little mustard.
top that with capers.
fold the seaweed around it, to make an envelope that keeps everything inside (you can pin it with a wooden toothpick)

Either place in an oven and bake - preferably in a casserole dish or pyrex (you can powder the base with a little flour to prevent sticking)....
or direct on the plate in the microwave if you want to go quickly.
A few minutes later and you have the main dish.

For sides, I suggest mashed tats with saffron or garlic, thin carrots boiled with some orange pulp (you can also use peel, but separate that before serving), steamed asparagus, or sprouts.

If you want it to look any more fancy, you can top the dish with caviar.

HEALTHY too!

Another aside; you can move from the norm by frying vegetables such as eggplant, parsnips and beetroot. It's not the best for the vege vitamins, but super-tasty!

Last edited:

I'm always doing the cooking.
I got asked "how did you learn to cook, where did you find out?" - like it's some sort of magic (well actually in my case, I can understand people thinking it is).
Not the first time a woman has questioned it, but it has brought me to wonder at times why they have seemingly not sussed it out and so often just follow instructions on packets or from cookbooks.

I just put my imagination to work, get the right stuff and get on with it. I don't like long-winded creations, so in actual fact my concoctions are all quite simple and economical. You start with one of the main meat choices - chicken, beef, lamb, duck, turkey, ham, pork, fish, crustaceans, or venison. Then when you decide which category, and cut or species, you then decide on the manner of cooking and what will go with it.

My own 'signature' dish is rather excellent;-
Salmon steak, skinned (keep the skin, it's lovely as a side when crispy).
lay it on a sheet of inori sushi seaweed.
top with sour cream, mixing in a little mustard.
top that with capers.
fold the seaweed around it, to make an envelope that keeps everything inside (you can pin it with a wooden toothpick)

Either place in an oven and bake - preferably in a casserole dish or pyrex (you can powder the base with a little flour to prevent sticking)....
or direct on the plate in the microwave if you want to go quickly.
A few minutes later and you have the main dish.

For sides, I suggest mashed tats with saffron or garlic, thin carrots boiled with some orange pulp (you can also use peel, but separate that before serving), steamed asparagus, or sprouts.

If you want it to look any more fancy, you can top the dish with caviar.

HEALTHY too!

Another aside; you can move from the norm by frying vegetables such as eggplant, parsnips and beetroot. It's not the best for the vege vitamins, but super-tasty!

Sounds very nice, but I am intrigued what you do with the skin that you keep?

Sounds very nice, but I am intrigued what you do with the skin that you keep?

(I just edited my post :) ) I cook the skin alongside the dish, and make it a little crispy/frazzled. It's delicious, and if you can keep the oils in it, they are very good too.

Wild Alaskan or Norwegian is favourite with me, I don't prefer the colouring they put the farmed salmon into to make it aesthetically pink.
I love lox too, but that is so rich as a steak...it's overpowering for my recipe.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
love going to fish at the lagoon buying a big fat seabass and stuffing it with lime and fennel and sticking it on the bbq some new spuds a green salad, and a nice bottle of Puilley Fume .what could be better on a nice day like today

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Love to cook but rarely have the time. Favourite is Cambodian food, which of course cannot be found in this country so I have to cook it myself. Wife leaves the house though when I make the spice mix. A bit of an aquired taste. :rant:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Ooooh oooh yeah FISH is the SHIZZLE. We regularly go down and buy a load of mussels for pittance and FEAST on MOULES frites (all homemade innit). Brilliant meal and EVER SO cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here