Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blokes doing the cooking

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do the saturday night curries now. All the base sauces are ready in the freezer so i can knock one up in twenty minutes. I reckon i`m saving nearly £ 100 a month into the bargain as well. Pathia this week. :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would say 50/50

On average I would say we cook 5 meals TOGETHER and then one each.

Also, as a complete RANDOM point, I would INSIST people who like Pizza invest in a Pizza Stone. Basically cooks the PERFECT pizza(homemade dough and etc) in about 8 mins. Spent about 15 pounds on it but probably saved MUCH more in just the avoidance of ordering a takeaway pizza when REALLY lazy or busy. Plus we worked out that we spent about 30p in ingrediants to make the pizza itself. Bargain innit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I want this so much, it HURTS.

SO easy. Pre heat oven to 120. Get lamb shoulder and brown it off a bit (you can choose to score the lamb and stuff garlic and rosemary in if you want but I like the taste of shoulder so much I don't bother). Slowly cook off some onions in butter until golden brown, Slice potatoes and layer with the onions in deep dish and cover in good lamb stock with a bulb of garlic (sliced in half) on top and some chopped us rosemary. Place in oven and on the oven shelf above put the lamb in so the juices will drip into the potatoes. Leave for 5/6 hours.

Grab some frozen peas and boil with some fresh mint until just tender, blitz in processor with some butter to leave a coarse puree.

Proper food right THURRRRRRR

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
confit duck with red wine, 5 spice and chorizo, lyonnaise potatoes and buttered carrots, I do most of the cooking as
1) I finish earlier then the Mrs
2) I enjoy it
3) I am a very good cook

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
SO easy. Pre heat oven to 120. Get lamb shoulder and brown it off a bit (you can choose to score the lamb and stuff garlic and rosemary in if you want but I like the taste of shoulder so much I don't bother). Slowly cook off some onions in butter until golden brown, Slice potatoes and layer with the onions in deep dish and cover in good lamb stock with a bulb of garlic (sliced in half) on top and some chopped us rosemary. Place in oven and on the oven shelf above put the lamb in so the juices will drip into the potatoes. Leave for 5/6 hours.

Grab some frozen peas and boil with some fresh mint until just tender, blitz in processor with some butter to leave a coarse puree.

Proper food right THURRRRRRR

I don't want to cook it. I want YOURS.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I would say 50/50

Also, as a complete RANDOM point, I would INSIST people who like Pizza invest in a Pizza Stone. Basically cooks the PERFECT pizza(homemade dough and etc) in about 8 mins. Spent about 15 pounds on it but probably saved MUCH more in just the avoidance of ordering a takeaway pizza when REALLY lazy or busy. Plus we worked out that we spent about 30p in ingrediants to make the pizza itself. Bargain innit.

I've been thinking about this for a while, time to take the plunge I reckon. Gonna get me a potato ricer too

Making ice cream is fun too - none of that 'ice-cream maker' nonsense. The fun you can have with flavours is great - there's a home-made rum and chocolate effort in the freezer right now.

Oooohhhh! Something definitely to ponder on during the drive to Nottingham tomorrow. I remember making some fresh pineapple ice cream when we were first married (was v interesting to eat) and there's some home made gooseberry/vodka sorbet still hiding in the garage freezer.

I do the saturday night curries now. All the base sauces are ready in the freezer so i can knock one up in twenty minutes. I reckon i`m saving nearly £ 100 a month into the bargain as well. Pathia this week. :thumbsup:

Are you making the base sauce from the Book "The Curry Secret" that was posted on here?

If so, like you I am saving shed loads on take away's because the wife reckons mine are better than any take away.

small tip, substitute the tinned tomato in stage 1 with V8 vegetable juice.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are you making the base sauce from the Book "The Curry Secret" that was posted on here?

If so, like you I am saving shed loads on take away's because the wife reckons mine are better than any take away.

small tip, substitute the tinned tomato in stage 1 with V8 vegetable juice.

Please post. I'm SHIT at curries, need all the help I can get.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Making bread (and pasta) is quite a cathartic pastime.

Making ice cream is fun too - none of that 'ice-cream maker' nonsense. The fun you can have with flavours is great - there's a home-made rum and chocolate effort in the freezer right now.

Ice-cream is something I wanted to tackle this year, definitely. Rum & Choc sounds rather nice.

http://www.morpeth17.freeserve.co.uk/The_Curry_Secret.pdf

If it works.

You need to make the basic curry sauce which starts on page 9. then once this is complete almost any curry can be made from it as detailed further on in the book.

It really is worth it, although your house, kids, dogs, cats and wife will smell of onions for a while afterwards.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The great thing with curries is that you can experiment and blend in whatever spices take your fancy.

Basics - garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander.

After that, the choice is yours... paprika, chilli, turmeric, star anise, coconut, cloves, garam masala, cardamom, black onion seeds - the list goes on. Taj Grocer is an excellent source for these.

My potato and pea version.

On a high heat I fry the onion and the 'basics'. After a few minutes toss in the chopped potatoes. Stir in the blend of spices (mine - 1tsp paprika, 1tsp turmeric, 1tsp fenugreek, 2tsp garam masala, 1/2tsp chilli - the missus doesn't like it too hot - plus a couple of cardamom pods, salt & pepper). Add can of tomatoes and water/stock, plus coriander leaves. Turn heat down to medium, and cook for 45 mins. Add in peas 10mins before the end.

I daresay some might consider this way is heresy, but it work out fine for me, and simple to do.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love cooking, but do have to share the duties 50/50 with the missus as neither like washing up :lol:

Don't really have a signature dish per se

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I probably do 1-2 days a week, need to up it a bit more, as I do enjoy it. Suggested this to the missus and she said "go ahead!" She has trained as a chef so I do have a bit of competition!

My daughter has just got into baking, so bought her a baking book this morning and I a Masterchef (Everyday) book for me that looks interesting. I think I will be doing more cooking in the next few weeks!:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 18477

I would say 50/50

link?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here