Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blokes doing the cooking

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Do all the cooking as the wife can only cool eggs!?

As a veggie my main staples are various curries, felafels, homemade pasta dishes and nut roasts.

Bozza - need veggie inspiration? - give me a shout : )

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeah do all the cooking - but don't take it particularly seriously.

Wife likes my weekend breakfasts I guess the most and also my fish and chips.

Wife loves rice, so I've become quite good at cooking it - I've had so much f**king practice. Particularly favourite is the Spanish Rice I make (I wouldn't call it a Paella)

No great secret - other than, if I haven't had the chance to soak the rice for 12 hours, I half cook it then rinse again.

Getting that excess starch out of the rice is the key and I get in the habit of soaking rice all the time.

I've usually got some chorizo, always got saffron, garlic, stock cubes, bay leaves, even dry sherry ! .. and my personal addition - always have fresh parsley.

I think you can work out which country produces my favorite food.

The bay leaves are part of my childhood - massive bay tree in the garden and I still "source" mine from er... Burwash.

That is thrown together with some very finely chopped carrot, peas and chicken fried with garlic in olive oil.

It differs depending on what I've got - but I make very nice rice would grace any tapas bar because I have to time and time again.

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Regardless of all the banter/nonsense about women should be in the kitchen, who is it that does the cooking in your house?

I was discussing this with a female NSCer on the train yesterday evening, and with my better half afterwards, and it occurred to me that I wouldn't mind betting that not only do most (i.e. more than 50%) of the blokes do the cooking, a sizeable amount actually enjoy doing it. I know I'm one of them.

So, is that the case? If so, what's your 'signature' dish? What's the meal you cook that puts the biggest smile on your better half's face?

Just curious, like.

Hungarian beef goulash and a classic Vindaloo, both fcuking lovely even if i say so myself

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wife does most of the cooking at home as she is an excellent cook but occasionally I make dinner , which she usually enjoys but is not to keen on the amount of washing up as I use a clean different spoon. knife or dish each time I need one rather than wash one up and use it again. She uses 1 knife to do virtually everything and never ever uses scales to weigh out ingredients, it is all done by eye and experience.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My wife does most of the cooking at home as she is an excellent cook but occasionally I make dinner , which she usually enjoys but is not to keen on the amount of washing up as I use a clean different spoon. knife or dish each time I need one rather than wash one up and use it again. She uses 1 knife to do virtually everything and never ever uses scales to weigh out ingredients, it is all done by eye and experience.

I only use one knife - a Chinese cleaver I bought years ago. I even fillet fish with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon I do around 70% of the cooking and I love it. My signature dish is spaghetti with scallops, chilli, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. I also do this Jamie Oliver Navajo breakfast as well. I am a huge foodie and love cooking. My style is simple with key/big flavours.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do 90% of the cooking

Signature meal is

Starters:
Thai fish and prawn cakes
Thai spring rolls

Soup:
Cullen Sink

Mains

Sea Bass penang

Dessert:

Panna Cotta

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I reckon I do around 70% of the cooking and I love it. My signature dish is spaghetti with scallops, chilli, garlic, parsley and breadcrumbs. I also do this Jamie Oliver Navajo breakfast as well. I am a huge foodie and love cooking. My style is simple with key/big flavours.

Could we have the next mods meal round at your place? We promise to ban bushy if you cook your spaghetti special!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I bloody hate cooking but live on my own so am stuck with it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ok lads here it is,lots of budding keith floyd's among you,got pere-in-law visiting demain
no good doing duck,it's like f***ing chicken down here
the missus has washed her hands of it (as per f***ing usual) to busy working,prof:facepalm:
bought abit of filet pork just under a kilo,what the f*** that is in old money,i don't know
froggies like there meat still moving on the plate,so slow burn required
any ideas?
off to watch doc martin

ok lads here it is,lots of budding keith floyd's among you,got pere-in-law visiting demain
no good doing duck,it's like f***ing chicken down here
the missus has washed her hands of it (as per f***ing usual) to busy working,prof:facepalm:
bought abit of filet pork just under a kilo,what the f*** that is in old money,i don't know
froggies like there meat still moving on the plate,so slow burn required
any ideas?
off to watch doc martin

Blimey, I wouldn't eat at yours - too much f***ing of the meat involved

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
funny, as I thought it was a rarity that I did all the cooking in my house. My girlfriend works long days and never really learned to cook, whereas I learnt the basics from my dad and experiment.

I enjoy eating more than cooking so cook to eat, but I don't mind it as I have a knack for it and rarely go for easy options..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here