Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter signs on loan until January

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So many calls for a new goalie...a striker..and someone at the back/midfield...well we've signed all of those albeit on loan and one player fitting both those roles...might not be the faces people want...but they now will be wearing the Albion shirt and therefore will get my support

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I am predicting great things from Billy Paynter. He's one of those instinctive goal-getters that every team at every level needs. He's big and strong but also alarmingly quick. He can play as the provider for sexy Craig or as the ANIMAL in front of goal who will snap up any SNIFF of a chance he gets. I've seen a lot of him over his career and there are few players in the Football League I'd rather we had managed to secure. Great work, Gus:clap:

Has someone hacked this account?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Glad Gus has added a potential new dimension to our play. Also think he is mindful that Hoskins is not fully fit and Barnes is not pulling up trees at the moment.

Whether Paynter is the answer remains to be seen - hope he is better than in a live TV game last season when a lively Leeds played really well but he was largely anonymous and appeared a bit of a lard arse. He should benefit from Nooney and Buckleys crosses or has the brain to tune into the speed of Vicente and CMS.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Leeds fans in talking shit shocker!

Paynter was superb for us, cox would not have got half his goals without billy, austin too. Leeds never gave him a chance. Good signing.

At least the view of someone without an axe to grind who actually has some first hand experience of him

So many calls for a new goalie...a striker..and someone at the back/midfield...well we've signed all of those albeit on loan and one player fitting both those roles...might not be the faces people want...but they now will be wearing the Albion shirt and therefore will get my support

This....for fucks sake ...this

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If he is as bad as people say and just improves a little he wont cost a lot of money to buy him, then Gus can work on him. The one big advantage is that he is capable of scoring so defenders will have CMS and our other strikers to watch as well as adding Paynter to their troubles because as everybody is aware of he knows exactly where the net is.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You that are slagging him off already, have the right to your opinion. But surely he has the right to prove himself worthy of the stripes just as much. We need to seriously get behind our lads and management team. For fucks sake less than a month ago everyone was saying what a time to be an Albion fan. What's changed? We didn't cope with a couple of teams, and Gus has stepped in to remedy things. Welcome to the Albion Billy, prove the doubters wrong fella.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
4 words..... IN GUS I TRUST.

All the time he is wearing the stripes I will be 100% behind him, he will be desperate to impress and as a loan deal we have nothing to lose.

Welcome Billy, prove your doubters wrong.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
tbh I know nothing about him Billy Paynter. Leeds fans say he's shit. So what?

Barnes was a Plymouth reserve when he signed for us, and scored 20 goals last season. This season he's got 7 so far. Granted, he's not the most elegant of players, and it would be lovely if he took more of his chances. So....maybe Paynter will 'click' with us, maybe he will add another dimension to the team, Gus sees something in the bloke. Let's see. I am fairly sure Gus has an idea what he might add - it might not work out. OK. He goes back to Leeds.

Name a manager with 100% success rate on signings. Give Paynter a chance

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As i said once this season, you only have to read Leeds fans stance on the guy, bit like some of our lot on Barnes on here.

I hope i get made to eat my words but tbh based on what i have seen im hot holding to much hope.

If Gus had signed Diouf would you guys be slagging it off or accepting it, as just as i disagree with a signing does not make me a bad person, i dont rate the guy at all.

Should I change your username to "Gus is a crap judge of a player" ??

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The Albion boss said, "We wanted him when he was leaving Swindon, but we lost out to Leeds - which was understandable as they were in the Championship and we were in League One.

As I told you all back in July 2010 :moo:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
This sounds very much like a signing that has been made more in desperation than in hope. I hope Paynter comes good, and I'll give him my full support evry time he plays, but somehow I doubt he's gonna set the Championship on fire. We shall see.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
tbh I know nothing about him Billy Paynter. Leeds fans say he's shit. So what?

Barnes was a Plymouth reserve when he signed for us, and scored 20 goals last season. This season he's got 7 so far. Granted, he's not the most elegant of players, and it would be lovely if he took more of his chances. So....maybe Paynter will 'click' with us, maybe he will add another dimension to the team, Gus sees something in the bloke. Let's see. I am fairly sure Gus has an idea what he might add - it might not work out. OK. He goes back to Leeds.

Barnes is a good comparison. Plymouth fans were amazed that we got goals from Barnes as they thought he was useless. No, Mr Burns we don't want to read your views again.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Should I change your username to "Gus is a crap judge of a player" ??

why as i disagree on one signing. f*** this place seriously people moan about my post count yet know no reason why i spend most my day on here, f*** the lot of ya.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
its your choice to be here, and judging a player without having seen him play (oh sorry i forgot you've seen one game). He didn't get much opportunity at Hull but they took him on loan and obviously liked him enough to buy him but for whatever reason it didn't work and at southend he was in a relegation battle team so all players generally struggle in those situations so perhaps you should give him a chance and make your decision in january or perhaps we should all jump to snap judgements based on other peoples opinions.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you rate him or not, if Gus does then he will play and like Barnes will keep playing if he does the job Gus asks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here