Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter signs on loan until January

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Both fair comments to make. It would be important to remember that some of us have seen more of him than others though, Andy, and aside from a couple of others on this forum (and our friends from Leeds), I have seen him more than everyone else. Doesn't make my opinion of him any better or worse than anyone else's, but it is based on a lot more previous form.

I never liked Brezovan, either.

edit
Actually, I want to explain that a bit further.... I don't like Billy Paynter as a player. But as a cog in a team? I love Billy Paynter. Simon Cox and Charlie Austin both benefited in a big way from having him alongside them, and I have no doubt at all that all CMS needs is a better supply line. I think goals from our International striker will be a lot more frequent with a big man alongside him. Paynter is a team player, and that's what we're looking for.

Last edited:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
He'll give us another option which is a definite positive as we just didn't have that style of player before signing him on loan.

Time will tell whether or not this is an astute signing or not. I personally can't see how he will fit into our passing style being a target man, unless he is technically quite good but I haven't seen him play enough to pass judgement as of yet!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another answer could be that Grayson was simply trying to get us to pay a higher percent of Paynter's wages. Or perhaps he didn't want to the loan to go through, but the Leeds board did.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I personally can't see how he will fit into our passing style being a target man, unless he is technically quite good but I haven't seen him play enough to pass judgement as of yet!
Because he (hopefully) takes pressure off other attacking players. He ties up defenders, wins the odd header, lays off balls for the likes of CMS, Noone, Buckley, Vicente. He acts as the spear of the attack. He doesn't need to drop too deep or spray passes, just do things nice and efficiently.
Much like Wood did, sometimes, last year.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Simon Grayson said that they wouldnt loan him to a championship competitor so thought that there must have been something to make them change their mind and a loan to buy seems the logical answer.

there was something sed about him not wanting to drop down a league...so i guess its not loan him out or get him off ya books for a while even if its too brighton

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apologies if this has already been posted. Comments from Bournemouth fans on the loan signing of Steve Cook. On a par with our own morons, the same mix of miserable gits, know it alls and deluded fools.

Cherries: Bradbury completes loan swoop for Cook From Bournemouth Echo)

For any Bournemouth fans that stumble across this post Cook is a fat useless, waste of space and the worst ever player to pull on a Brighton shirt. His best position is playing on the wing. Don't get your hopes up about keeping him though as he is very much one for the future here.:moo:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
So when Paynter turns out to be an astute bit of business, frees up CMS to score a shed-load and reignites our attack, are all the BORING naysayers on here going to be happy to hold their hands up and admit the ceaseless stream of negative drivel they've been spouting has been tedious shite?

NB You can't quote this post until he's played at least 5 games for us.

Another answer could be that Grayson was simply trying to get us to pay a higher percent of Paynter's wages. Or perhaps he didn't want to the loan to go through, but the Leeds board did.

Just as likely Paynter did'nt want to drop down to League 1 and his previous association with Gus at Swindon was the deciding factor for him. That could not loan him without his agreement. Presumably he also knows GG very well.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
So when Paynter turns out to be an astute bit of business, frees up CMS to score a shed-load and reignites our attack, are all the BORING naysayers on here going to be happy to hold their hands up and admit the ceaseless stream of negative drivel they've been spouting has been tedious shite?

NB You can't quote this post until he's played at least 5 games for us.

Of course they won't. They'll just crawl back under their stones until the next school holiday.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Welcome Billy. Looking forward to you reclaiming form and being integral to our success.

I must say there are some strange posts here -what a fickle bunch. Get behind the team and stop contributing to their loss of confidence!

We are Brighton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here