Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best news in the world

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Well that has made an interesting night. Just as I was considering bed there was quite a sizeable quake near the north island followed by a smaller one near Christchurch. Not quite so tired now.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Heh, everything alright?

What's it like over there now you've settled in? I've been seriously considering emigrating after university to either Canada, the U.S, Aus or NZ....What job you got over there?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some friends of mine live there and experienced same quake. The husband loves the place as he has got a job he could not get over here. Wife wants home and is bored of the place.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm working for an electronics company in the test area. Absolutely best move I've ever made. Everyone is so friendly and laid back.

The quakes are just a mere annoyance when weighed up against everything else.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Excellent. Hope it goes well for you, certainly gotta be better than sitting in rain soaked Blighty wondering what if?

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I've just received confirmation that my visas have been approved to emigrate to New Zealand. I'm bouncing off the walls at the moment and had to share it with you lot, even though most of you won't care.

New-Zealand-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Super place for a holiday but it is very expensive to live there so I'm told.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Not sure why BG gets so much grief, his point about the NZ housing market is valid - Auckland in particular is totally over-inflated. Housing in Christchurch will be much cheaper, I am sure! I lived in Ilam for three years, which is near the suburbs you mentioned. They are nice suburbs handy for the airport. Not sure what state they are in now, though? Lots of houses have had to be condemned.

Anyway, if you have a good job lined up the hardest part is done already. Have fun exploring - some lovely countryside around there

Agree with the above, you have to do your home work before emigrating down here.
My advice is don't buy a house in Christchurch, it'll always be earth quake prone.

We've just bought a place, as a weekend retreat/ retirement plan, in a country town about 140Ks south of Auckland. We're stoked with what we've got for our money.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Been living in chch last three months, to be honest i can't wait to get out of here though! Far too cold and the city has been majorally mugged off. I do think it will be very pretty in 5-10 years though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And compared to a UK January the weather is almost tropical (3 centigrade).
Not much different to a barmy July day in Sussex, then.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
I had a double summer, Cornwall then Gisborne then here for winter, 3 months later I still haven't adjusted!! Plus I was camping when the snow came and a recent 'upgrade' to the garage isn't great. Hard times for a budget traveller who is trying to save! *self pity day*

Not sure why BG gets so much grief, his point about the NZ housing market is valid
It's because he's a grandad. Sadly, people who have a bit of experience of life who try to give advice to the younger generations are often treated with contempt in Britain, unlike most of Asia where they are more likely to be revered. It's just another symptom of the degeneration of British society, something that makes people want to emigrate.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's because he's a grandad. Sadly, people who have a bit of experience of life who try to give advice to the younger generations are often treated with contempt in Britain, unlike most of Asia where they are more likely to be revered. It's just another symptom of the degeneration of British society, something that makes people want to emigrate.

this

but gladly my extended family are very close and my granddaugher(who ia about to become a mum) is an absolute joy.

hi woodchip hope it works out OK for you and .....
Meggy sends her love

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here